All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Low Iron & Protein
      #239481 - 01/18/06 12:13 PM
Jackey

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I just went for a 6 month check-up since I've been diagnosed to check my nutritional levels. My doctor told me I am slightly anemic and have low protein levels. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Low Iron & Protein new
      #244814 - 02/07/06 03:24 PM
Jackey

Ah! I'm replying to myself! I just thought I'd share in case anyone is in a similar situation as I...

For Protein: I found Balance Soy Protein drinks in Chamberlin's and Publix Supermarket. I've also found Spiru-teen w/ Soy (which one of you advised-thanks!). And, here's a new one for you maybe!...My herbologist has suggested chicken feet soup. EWWWWE!! But, it's supposed to have loads of protein. If you have an open mind and are at all curious about this one let me know and I'll share the gory details.

On the Iron: I've been able to simply add a multi-vitamin supplement with 18 mg. iron. Duh! I'm now in what I call the "Second Phase" (Nutrition rather than Mitigating Symptoms). I've been able to minimize the attacks to an average of once per week by cutting out ALL triggers so I'm starting to experiment with real food, supplementing the heavy fibre intake. But, boy do I have cravings!! Anyone out there know of a good Soy cheese?? The Veggie Cheese just isn't cutting it!

#245049 - 02/08/06 12:39 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I don't have low iron or protein but have friends that have that problem (low iron). Did your doc not suggest an iron tablet? They can cause tummy problems so take with food. Sometimes the body needs b12 to absorb the iron but don't take that unless advised by a doc.

#245742 - 02/12/06 10:18 AM
Jackey

Hi! Yes, I just started a multi-vitamin that contains 18 mg. of iron (and the B2, etc.). I have it with breakfast and I've had no problems so far. Thanks for your advice! I've just started to incorporate a small portion of red meat every once in a while, traditionally a huge trigger, as long as it is with a good fibre base (fibre pill, bread, pasta/rice - all in the same meal). So far so good - just in case your friends are curious.

#245809 - 02/12/06 02:45 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Vitamin C consumed in food or supplement form with the iron rich food or supplement enhances the absorbability of the iron.

So, up the vitamin C intake to help absorb more iron from food.

Kate.

Chocolate is high in iron! new
      #245836 - 02/12/06 06:32 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

IBS-safe cocoa anyone? How about some Anti-depressant brownies!

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Chocolate is high in iron! new
      #245840 - 02/12/06 06:53 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

oh, kate! this makes my recent low-iron diagnosis so excited! and so dangerous, too!!

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#246572 - 02/15/06 01:35 PM
Jackey

Awesome! Thanks! And, did you see Heather's Brownie recipe posted recently (for Valentine's Day). I'm sure it's in the archives - made with unsweetened cocoa, soy milk, and I think organic egg whites, (decaf instant coffee optional). But, sounds delicious. I may make this weekend, and if so will give you some feedback on that.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2983

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review