All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Exercise = Pain?
      #236831 - 01/09/06 05:49 AM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

As some of you have read, I've been having issues all of last week with my IBS. I'm on a very strict IBS diet now to get my system back on track.

This morning I went for my usual once a week walk. About halfway through I started to feel discomfort in my abdomen. When I got home I was cramping. I had not eaten anything prior to the walk. I drank some Benefiber when I got home and forced down a piece of toast.

2 hours later the cramps are gone, but I'm still experiencing lower back pain and serious discomfort in my abdomen.

Anyone else ever experience this? I thought exercise was supposed to help IBS.

Thanks,
Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Exercise = Pain? new
      #236912 - 01/09/06 12:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yeah, I used to have that problem. Exercise definitely DOES help IBS, but if you're in the middle of a bad week anyway, or not the least bit stable over all, you have to be really careful about how you exercise.

I don't know how fast or how long you walk, but you might want to try walking at a slower pace or for less time. When I was at my absolute worst with IBS, I have to admit, I couldn't exercise at all - everything bothered me. But once my guts calmed down, exercising was no problem again.

Good luck, and hope you feel better!

#236914 - 01/09/06 12:09 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Are you still taking tetracycline? That definitely would make the cramping worse and interfere with any stability you might be able to achieve through diet and exercise. Are you taking a probiotic along with the anti-biotics?

When you walk, you might want to try slapping on one of those sticky heat patch things (on your abdomen or back). I don't know how cold it gets where you live, but I've noticed if I get a chill I get cramps along with it.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Re: Antibiotics new
      #236935 - 01/09/06 01:24 PM
Saveena

I quit taking it over the weekend to see if that would help my situation. So far there doesn't seem to be a huge improvement, but I know that it is slow going. My abdomen muscles are sore even when not cramping and that will take another day to dissapate.

I found that Digestive Advantage IBS (probiotics) does help if I take it every day. It used to make dairy bearable. I had a smidge of mayo yesterday (couldn't wipe all of it off the shrimp) and was nearly doubled over shortly after.

I'm doing much better with applesauce, bread, rice and bland chicken or turkey.

I've been using a heating pad all day at work. It was about 60 at 5AM and I worked up a good sweat. I'm fairly over weight, so it isn't hard for me to work up a good sweat! LOL I think I'll try Atomic Rose's suggestion of slowing down until I am back to normal.

Thank you for answering my post! Sometimes I just wonder what the heck is going on with my body! I was really worried that my attempt to loose weight was having an adverse effect.

~ Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

#236937 - 01/09/06 01:30 PM
Saveena

Darn! I was looking for an excuse to not have to exercise. Like I mentioned in my post to SPASMTASTICAL! I was walking pretty fast this morning. For me that means a mile in 30 minutes (probably slow for everyone else). I think I'll slow it down a bit and see how that goes.

I (heart) my heating pad! I really need to invest in a second one so I don't have to drag it between work and home. Then again, with any luck I'll be back to normal shortly and it won't be an issue.

Thank you very much for answering my post! As I mentioned to SPASMTASTICAL! I thought that my attempt to loose weight was backfiring. Which worried me because after several years of being +200 pounds, I've decided to loose weight. And once I make up my mind to do something, I'm not easily swayed.

~ Lisa

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review