All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
REPORTING IN - 7/22/05
      #198432 - 07/22/05 05:44 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 7/22 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Taking a break... new
      #198710 - 07/22/05 06:49 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Okay, I'm going to take a break from posting on the IBS fitness boards. I need to re-evaluate a few things in my diet (and my life ). I've been doing really well, I think, but when I try to expand my diet (eat healthier, more IF vegetables etc) I move too fast (eat too much) and then OWWWWW! I haven't had an attack in four months, although yesterday morning was a bit iffy...but I'm not going to count it as an attack because I bounced back so quickly and had very little pain. However, I may be too focused on keeping track of every little thing. Hard to explain.

Anyway, we'll see how long this break lasts. It's hard to stay away from here. It's even harder to keep silent.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (07/22/05 06:57 PM)

Re: A hiatus... new
      #198722 - 07/22/05 07:25 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Maria:

1. I'm glad you're feeling better after your mini-attack, this morning.
2. I had a huge one--MSG related--and spent the day on the sofa with a bucket. Migraines, nausea, vertigo/dizziness, cramps. It's evening now and I'm finally on my feet.
3. I'm taking a hiatus, too. Great minds think alike? I'm at the point where I could care less what I eat as long as it's Kate-friendly or safe. I like my simple diet. Sure--it's colourful, but re: prep. it's rather simple and quick. Especially when you live on smoothies and adult babyfood with bite (byte) and cook in batches. If anything, I need to work on some psych. stuff re: food--trusting it and being more social about it. However, it's hard to change my ways. The psych. stuff interferes with my appetite as well as my epilepsy and GAD meds.
4. I'm proud of myself for honouring my new "law" or rule, which is to go with my gut instinct or follow my intuition/listen to my body. There are some days where I know the only thing that will stay down is a banana salad or
carrots or zucchini or applesauce--this does pass, though.
5. Sorry for babbling. I need a vacation from this board/reporting as well. Thanks to all for sharing/listening. You're all incredible individuals and I wish you continuing success and insight in your journeys.
6. I think I'm more interested in the reasons or why behind the what than the what--the what being the food itself.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: REPORTING IN - 7/22/05 new
      #198746 - 07/22/05 10:50 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

oat bran with blueberries and soymilk

2 slices ff bread

30min stair climber, 30min eliptical

z-bar

protein shake (1/4 cup egg white protein, 1 1/2 cups soymilk)

turkey & soy provolone on white, carrots

re-bar (new vegan veggie & fruit bar - not bad tasting but ALL IF) [during class]

pretzels [at the grocery store]

turkey & soy provolone in a corn tortilla, carrot-zucchini muffin

Bible Bar (very yummy!) [shopping again]

oat bran with blueberries and soymilk, again

ff chocolate pudding with crushed "Newman's Own Organic Chocolate Alphabet Cookies" YUM!

Total: 2350 (yay!)

Low on fruits and veggies in general, but there were 19 different fruits & veggies in the re-bar, so I don't feel AS guilty

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: REPORTING IN - 7/22/05 new
      #198749 - 07/23/05 12:25 AM
funDiva Christy

Reged: 07/09/05
Loc: Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada

AlmSunset tea stevia ricemilk
2 med red potatos w/ guac
1/2 c each brown rice, onion, mushrooms; thaiP
sauteed apple chunks w/ 8 nillas cinnamon
cocoa riceMilk (no sweetener even stevia!)
2 slice sourdough avocado peeled tomato soy bacon
AlmSunset tea stevia ricemilk

in late evening feel totally icky and C looks like too much soluble today?

--------------------
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them. I know, perceptive.

Re: Elizabeth/carrot tip new
      #198840 - 07/23/05 02:19 PM
Wind

Hi Elizabeth!

You are a regular trooper!!! Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

I can't get enough of carrots/carrot juice lately! You're carrots with brown sugar sound good. How are they prepared?
How much brown sugar?

I made a wicked raw soup, yesterday (carrot juice plus strawberries--put in the food processor and adjust the addition of water and lemon juice until you're happy with the taste and chill!).

I read that you tried the rebar. Those are yummy. It's amazing how delicious dehydrated veggies/treats are! I'm so considering buying a food dehydrator.

Have a great weekend!

Kate.

#198864 - 07/23/05 07:09 PM
e_mcmaster

Hi Kate! How are you doing?

Lately I've been eating a lot of carrots because they are so easy! I buy a big 5lb bag of them and cut them into chunks (discarding the stems) and steam them in the steamer. Then I puree them in batches (now that I bought a brand-new food processor, I won't have to do batches anymore. Yay!) with about 1/2-1 tsp of brown sugar each batch. So... I'd say maybe 1 tbsp of brown sugar for the whole bag, which makes it pretty trivial, I think.

Since I used to love eating raw carrots with hummus, I'm going to make a batch of carrots without the brown sugar next time and swirl in a bit of hummus before I eat it. I'll let you know how that goes!

Thanks for your tip on the strawberry-carrot juice soup. Sounds fantastic! Another Kate tip!!!

Have a great rest of the weekend!

--------------------
Elizabeth

#198866 - 07/23/05 07:33 PM
Wind

Thanks for the tip--I'll try it. It reminds me EXACTLY of how my Grandmother makes carrots--and she always makes the yummiest.

You're right--carrots are convenient and easy and just the sweetest treat. They're great for your skin/hair/nails/teeth/bones! They're high in SF and have staying power! Alot of super healing juices/regimes are based on carrot and beet juice--great cleansers and awesome for arthritis as well as the liver and cancer healing/cleansing. They really exfoliate not only the skin but the colon!!!

If you like carrots with the hint of brown sugar you'd love turnips this way, too. Carrots paired with turnips are quite complimentary, with a hint of citrus.

Yeah for you acquiring a better food processor. It will make life a lot more convenient for you. An excellent time saving investment.

I've been buying the best carrots at the market. They're so good--and so cheap!!! It's like having dessert for dinner!
Praise for nature's "orange dye!"

#198873 - 07/23/05 09:28 PM
e_mcmaster

I've never had turnips or beets. I bought a can of sliced beets yesterday to try - I figured I'd blend them with some carrots and garlic for a faux tomato sauce. Think that is ok for a beet-beginner?

As for the turnips, should I cook them like carrots?

I am so thankful for all your tips. Tonight I just made some fresh blueberry puree (absolutely my favorite) and this wonderful, fragrant strawberry-plum puree. SO good! And I also made a puree of cooked mixed baby greens, asparagus and celery. The cooked celery gives it a bit of a crunch and a "clean" taste. Then I made a puree of just cooked celery/asparagus. And I also made some sundried tomato hummus (with no oil or fat). I know you don't eat tomatoes - do you eat beans?

I'm loving the new food processor! Thanks for all the tips and advice!

--------------------
Elizabeth

#198893 - 07/24/05 03:29 AM
Wind

Confession: I use canned beets lately too! And yes, that's totally okay. I love beets with greens purees, or a combo of beets and carrots. Often I'll add a little vinegar of choice and/or lemon and herbs. Sometimes honey. Beets and a side of zucchini puree makes a delightful salad. I just add some opiates, i.e. poppyseeds and make a quick honey dijon vinaigrette, or use some seasoned rice vinegar (Nakano has no hfcs) or a raspberry/berry dressing.

Beets are really high in B6 and gluthione and chromium. They're a really good mood pick-me-up.

Sometimes I sneak in a little tomatoe and often pay the price. I love field tomatoes. I've been getting huge citrus cravings, lately, too.

Turnips are bitter, so keep that in mind when flavouring them. Peel them and prepare as carrots. Often turnip paired with carrot, either on the side or mixed is yummy. Great with a dash of brown sugar and sometimes a splash of o.j.

Beets, incidentally, are in the same veg. family as spinach and swiss chard. Carrots are a member of the parsley family. Did you know that bananas are actually herbs?

You're right about the clean taste/smell/crunch of celery!!!
I always find that asparagus has a kind of "pea" like taste.
It's a member of the Lily family. I bought some yesterday too. You're right, it's good with celery. I love it accompanied with spinach or swiss chard or beets or carrots or zucchini or just on it's own. Have you ever tried fiddleheads? Incidentally, asparagus is high in FOS (fructo-oglio-saccharides) and helps with good/pre-biotic bacteria in the gi tract.

No, I don't eat beans--I even eliminated green beans, lately. I'm allergic to certain nuts and legumes and carry an epi-pen. They're huge personal triggers, i.e. migraines/asthma. By eliminating mushrooms and green beans, my migraines are reduced. I don't eat soy or peas, either.
(GEE, am I a little picky?)

Incidentally, alot of sf supplements are actually members of the bean/legume family and I don't use one. Beans/legume "gums" are fillers in alot of products, too, that you wouldn't expect and I'm very careful.

Strawberry/plum is yummy. I love strawberry/peach, and strawberry/nectarine and strawberry or raspberry/apricot. Do you like cherries? I've been eating them like crazy, lately.

Things really don't need added fats--including hummus. It's just a habit to which this corner of the world is accustomed and saturated with. Also, the media hype re: healthy fats, I think is pretty bogus. There's enough in the food itself naturally.

Enjoy the anti-oxidants, experiments, and making fruits/veggies them Elizabeth-friendly. Bon appetit!

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review