Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-D Diagnosed Today
      #99847 - 08/20/04 06:52 PM
Derekr1

Reged: 08/20/04
Loc: PA

IBS-D Diagnosed Today

After years of pain and discomfort and most recently bleeding, I had a colonoscopy today. IBS-D with a capital D. I have taken the first step towards helping with this by quitting my high stress job. I could go from normal to complete colon dump in minutes. NO MATTER WHAT WAS IN MY COLON! Now, I have HEMORRHOIDS. They just came out yesterday after the prep work for the colonoscopy today. I know if I get "regular" they will go away. I have printed a lot of things from this website and hope that I can learn to live with this better than I have in the past. I was given levison and told to take ammodium and eat better! Fiber foods I am guessing we really did not get into this deep with the Doctor. I ran right out and bought some Metamucil. I will take it back in the morning. I have fiberchoice tablets that I have taken off and on for years. After reading some posts I wondered again if I should just take an ammodium every morning. What I hated was the hardness that came afterwards. That I am guessing will be taken care of by the fiber. So what is your favorite fiber method? I hope not to have to waste a lot of time and money on stuff that tastes bad and causes me to swell up like a balloon. Thanks in advance, Derek

--------------------
IBS -D since about 1984. Its stress not food that kills me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-D Diagnosed Today new
      #99858 - 08/20/04 08:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome Derek. Everyone has their particular favorite fiber supplement. But you sound like you are on the right track. Read as much as you can and don't give up. This is the only diet that makes sense and works. Although I have to say that nothing at this time cures IBS at least we can control it. Best wishes!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#99874 - 08/21/04 03:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well congratulations on finding this place so soon after diagnosis! Just a pity you've suffered so long. I'd REALLY recommend getting Heather's book 'IBS-The First Year'. It's my bible for IBS.

Soluble fibre supplements-wise, I prefer Acacia (which I order from Heather). It's gentle, doesn't make me bloated and it's dissolves in anything and is tasteless!

What's the ammodium? Is it immodium? If it is and it's giving you a bit of C, just reduce your daily dose. If you are already at 1 tablet/day, you can get the drug (loperamide) in liquid form to allow you to take less. Ask your doctor or pharmacist.

Good luck!

#99883 - 08/21/04 06:14 AM
Derekr1

Yes I would go with immodium. I started the Levison yesterday and took one this morning after eating breakfast. The gurgle noises seam to have been reduced. But I feel the classic dumping syndrome coming on. Have to see how today goes. Thanks, D

--------------------

#99885 - 08/21/04 06:19 AM
Derekr1

I do like the fiberchoice. It taste good anyway. Of course I cant tell yet if it works. But hey it does taste good! I know I do not want this to continue and well make a serious attempt at eating correctly. TY for the advice, D

--------------------

Welcome Derek! new
      #99909 - 08/21/04 07:45 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

So glad you found us. This has been such a wonderful, helpful website for me. It helps to know we're not alone, doesn't it? Just a couple of thoughts for you: In order to find the right SFS for you, you will have to be willing to do the 'trial and error' method. I'm doing the acacia and SLOWLY increasing it. If the FiberChoice works, stick with it. If it doesn't try something else. One thing IBS will teach you whether you want it or not and that is patience. For some of us it takes a long time of experimenting to see what works and what doesn't The 2nd thing I wanted to tell you is to try taking 1 Immodium when you first get up in the am. If I have a full fledged attack I take 2 and it stops it pretty quick. However, I don't go for the next couple of days and then seem to repeat the process again. So I've been trying 1 pill when I 1st get up in the am, along with one of Heather's Peppermint Caps and that has seemed to be helping this past week. I go once or twice, but the spasms don't seem to kick in. It's worth a try. God Speed
Janene

#100368 - 08/22/04 07:21 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Derek! Just wanted to say hi to you over here too!

I also take Imodium as a preventive, but once you work your way up to a full daily dose of a soluble fiber supplement, chances are you'll get stabilized and not need Imodium as much if at all.

Good to have you here. Keep coming back, okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1603 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1324

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review