All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
fruits and vegetables?
      #9969 - 05/26/03 10:12 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Are there any fruits and veggies that I should stay away from?? my favorite fruits are apples, watermellon and cantelope and veggies are string beans and peas...are these ok?

--------------------
Thank You

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fruits and vegetables? new
      #9976 - 05/26/03 11:41 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Apples are safer peeled, not sure about melon but I know it used to bloat me. String beans and peas both have skins or fibres so are not that safe, perhaps pureed or mashed up a bit?
Any fruit or veg with fibrous stringy parts are more insoluble, but some can be made safe by peeling and pureeing. Some safe veg are carrots, squash, parsnips, and sweet poatoes.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#9979 - 05/26/03 12:29 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You shouldn't stay away from them, just eat them with care. The apples were the "safest" on your list (peeled, of course) for the soluble. The rest are insoluble and should be eaten with care, such as peeling, pureeing, mashing, dicing, cooking, etc., and with soluble fiber. Here's some info to help you figure them out. Food – Friend or Foe?

Do you have any of Heather's books? Eating for IBS has lots of great recipes to show you how to incorporate insolubles--as well as the Recipe Exchange.

#9982 - 05/26/03 01:19 PM
gator

Thank you Mags.....one more question for you.. are any type of pretzels ok? how about tunafish with fatfree mayo? thanks for all your help

--------------------
Thank You

#9990 - 05/26/03 03:32 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Pretzels get a thumbs-up, though as always read the label for hidden ingredients (such as dairy). Tuna with fat-free mayo is fine too--you can even add a bit of celery or onion if you chop it up finely, and be sure to eat the tuna salad with bread or crackers. Also, some brands of tuna have weird additives (such as soy protein), so again, read labels and find a tuna that's just tuna packed in water. Best of luck!

#9991 - 05/26/03 03:36 PM
*Melissa*

Pretzels are fine. I'm not sure about the flavored kinds...I do know the chocolate covered kind are out! (Darn it! ) Check the ingredients for any flavored kinds. I like regular small, hard pretzels and I also eat the Super Pretzels. The big soft pretzels also come in handy at amusement parks, sports events, etc. Tuna with FF mayo is fine, as long as you handle mayo okay. I've read on the boards some people don't handle it very well. I guess that's one of those individual IBS things. I'd try it when you know you're safe for an attack (like a weekend or something) just to be safe, then go from there. Personally, I handle FF mayo just fine. Also, make sure your tuna is packed in water.

Hope that helps!

#9992 - 05/26/03 03:43 PM
*Melissa*

On the celery - I found that if I use a vegetable peeler to peel it, it gets rid of all the stringy part and makes it even easier to digest (for me anyway )

I started doing this to strawberries recently and it just peels the seeds right away! So, I've been using them on my cereal in the morning. After I did it, I realized it seemed so blatantly obvious I should have known to do that (doesn't Heather say peeling helps), so if you all already figured it out...I guess I'm just a little slow!

#9993 - 05/26/03 04:22 PM
gator

I didn't realize you had to peel strawberries. I just made Heather's strawberry and banana smoothie from her book and it is fantastic!!!! but she doesn't mention peeling them...

--------------------
Thank You

#10004 - 05/26/03 05:39 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I love sourdough pretzels.They are fat free and do not have additives. Alot of pretzels have added fructrose in them. If you are sensitive then beware!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#10006 - 05/26/03 05:57 PM
*Melissa*

Oh no! I'm sorry...I didn't mean to confuse you! I just peel them for myself so I don't have to worry about seeds. They just seem to be safer for me that way....sorry about that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2852 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1897

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review