All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help!-IBS-C and confused
      #9953 - 05/26/03 07:37 AM
Spinoza

Reged: 05/26/03

Hi: I just joined this site. I'm a 41 year old male with IBS-C, gas and bloating for as long as I can remember. I am very confused. I read Heather's book but it honestly seems geared more to IBS-D than C. I have so many questions (including does Heather do one-on-one consultations?). My g-i put me on Citrucel after hearing that the large bowl of high-fiber cereal I had in the mornings seemed to work only occasionally and often seemed to leave me bloated and gassed out. But now I'm very C just on Citrucel and, after reading Heather's book, am very confused about what to eat. It does seem that insoluble fiber is hard for me -- on the other hand, it seems (irregularly) to really make me go. How much soluble fiber a day does someone with IBS-C need? Two scoop of Citrucel gives one how much? How do I count soluble fiber grams (or whatever) -- what's the # I'm shooting for? Also, the last two days I had crackers that gave me horrible, foul-smelling gas that kept me up all night: what's with that? I thought it's like a bread-product that is supposed to be okay to eat. I looked at the ingredients and all I could see somewhat odd was "malt." How come I reacted so adversely to that? I'd love to exchanges ideas/emails with anyone with IBS-C. I'm very discouraged at times. I need simple instructions and can't seem to find them anywhere. Thanks for listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help!-IBS-C and confused new
      #9956 - 05/26/03 08:30 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi and welcome to the board! I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. I am IBS-D, but I'd still like to try to help you!

How long have you been taking the Citracel? Did you start gradually? Your body needs time to adjust to the supplement. I'm not sure how much that scoop in Citracel is...I measured it once with an actual measuring spoon, and found I was off on what I thought I was taking, so I just keep a T. measure in there now and ditch the scoop. I don't know if there is an exact number you're shooting for--I think you just gradually increase until you're feeling good.

What kind of crackers were you eating? Were they low fat, no dairy ingredients?

Also, do you exercise regularly. Exercise REALLY helps! As well as LOTS of water. Also, fennel tea is really good for gas/bloating. One of my favs is Tummy Mint by Celestial Seasonings. Have you tried that or any other teas yet?

#9958 - 05/26/03 08:35 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi and welcome to the board. I don't think Heather does one-to-one's, but she does reply regularly to posts, and there are lots of people on the boards who will have useful information for you. I am ibs-c but for a long time thought I was ibs-d, until I realised I was only getting the d-attacks when I hadn't been for ages, like my body had to get it all out NOW!
One thing I do find with the fibre supplement is that you MUST drink enough water with it, otherwise it will just sit there in your system. Think how it thickens up in water, and imagine what it would be like in only a bit!
I'm not sure in grams how much fibre you need a day, but I make sure that every meal I have has soluble fibre in it, if not based on it. Have you tried having rice more often? It seems to be the grain most people get on with well, and if you can tolerate it you could mix white with brown for more insoluble f.
There are lots of ibs-c people out there, so don't get too discouraged, post what you like and we'll try to help

Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#9997 - 05/26/03 04:40 PM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Hi Spinoza
I have had IBS-C since a gastro infection 2 years ago, and I'm getting things under control - most of the time.

I find that 2 x Benefiber in the morning, plus 3 psyllium capsules before other meals really helps. On top of that I've cut out all dairy, nearly all red meat, drink alcohol & coffee only occassionally and try to get lots & lots of water in. I'm not sure if you've had a look at peer-refereed articles floating around about the positive link between hypnotherapy and IBS (both C&D), but I've found that to be quite helpful. Excercise also helps (although if I'm having a bad day I try and walk/run a route past public toilets, then again so do marathon runners...)

IBS is awful, but there are a lot of people here who have good tips on how to cope with it & try to get symptom free.

If you want one-to-one, consider a naturopath. My surgeon recommended I see one & she's been great. Other people here have had similar responses in their countries too.

Good luck. Come back for a whinge whenever you need to. We all do!

#10002 - 05/26/03 05:37 PM
Spinoza

Reged: 05/26/03

Thanks for the replies (more are welcome!). I'm using the Citrucel scooper - one in the morning and one at night. I also just bought some Flax fibre and took a helping of that. It's so hard to stick with one regiment when I feel so bad - I reach for something for relief. Drinking lots of water sounds easy but when you're bloated it's not exactly what you want to do. Anyone find enzymes helpful? I didn't - but then again I haven't found anything helpful. Incidentally, I exercise ALL THE TIME - it's the only thing keeping me sane -- and keeping me somewhat going. Thanks again.

#10013 - 05/26/03 06:31 PM
shaun g

Reged: 05/25/03
Loc: ontario, canada

since i've never gotten a real diagnose .. what's the difference between ibs-c and ibs-d ?

--------------------
trying to equal the IBS ratio- one man at a time

#10014 - 05/26/03 06:34 PM
*Melissa*

c=constipation
d=diarrhea
a=alternate constipation & diarrhea

#10017 - 05/26/03 06:41 PM
shaun g

wonder if b= bloating ?

guess i'd be d as well then... thanks

--------------------

#10018 - 05/26/03 06:47 PM
*Melissa*

That's a new one to me!

Although I did forget the IBS-G for the gas. Sorry bout that.

#10024 - 05/26/03 07:26 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

And then there's pain-predominant (I believe that's what Heather said she was? And I think I am, too...). But there's no little abbreviation for that .

#10025 - 05/26/03 07:28 PM
shaun g

hmm .. than I have that one too .. maybe it's better to just stick with IBS

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1720

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review