All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A doctor who knows something
      #99211 - 08/18/04 02:22 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I know that sounds unbelievable, but I think I found one.

Okay so I went to this Dr. Tarmin in (I'm in Maryland,USA) and it turns out she is not bad.

She is running a stream of test on me that my other GI didn't do that Heather suggests to make sure nothing else is wrong except IBS.

She prescribed me a anti-spasm med for my colon and Aciphex for my acid reflux.

I told her about Heather's diet and she said it sounds right on for IBS and that it sounds like a good and healthy diet to her and told me to keep it up.

I started to tell her about the other diseases Heather suggests getting tested for and she basically listed them all finishing my sentence. And she requested that I have all my other medical records and tests transfered to her so she can review them and then asked to see me back in a couple of weeks after she has reviewed everything to discuss my situation.

She asked about my stress levels and suggested trying different options to lower my stress,etc. I thought she seemed to care all around and I am going to go back for a follow-up visit. I feel so relieved to have found a doctor who gives a [censored]! I found her on the internet and her credentials say she has published research in professional journals on IBS, IBD, and others. And it said she has a personal interest in IBS. I sure hope she can help me.

I had almost wished she had said that I should discontinue the diet. Only b/c I miss donuts and pastries and ice cream and.........
Well anyway I know the diet is better for me and I definitely feel better, I just need to get the stress thing at work under control.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A doctor who knows something new
      #99214 - 08/18/04 02:43 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Sounds like you might have found a doctor with an actual human heart! Good luck with her and keep us posted.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#99218 - 08/18/04 02:54 PM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

how did you find the Dr. on the internet? I'd like to know the site you used. Thanks.

#99266 - 08/18/04 05:35 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

that's wonderful! sometimes just knowing your 'in good hands' makes a world of difference.

congrats! and keep us posted

kk

#99283 - 08/18/04 06:25 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Good for you! Personally, I think in general female doctors have more compassion & understanding of the female body than male doctors. I just switched from always having male doctors to a great woman doctor that my two women friends recommended & it's like talking to a friend instead of a doctor. I know not all female doctors will be this way but I think it helps.

To Jenkins new
      #99387 - 08/19/04 08:49 AM
Tissy

I found a website http://ibd.patientcommunity.com and at the bottom, left of the home page under tools it said Locate a Doctor and then you enter your state, etc. and it gives you a list of GIs in your area and their web page links if they have one. I hope this helps I'm not sure if you are in the states or not I forgot to look to see if you listed your location before I started typing. If your not in the states this website won't help.

Christie

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Question about NuLev new
      #99469 - 08/19/04 01:27 PM
Tissy

The anti-spam meds my doctor prescribed me are called NuLev. She didn't really say to much except that I could take them every six hours as needed. So should I be taking them every six hours to prevent attacks or just when I feel an attack coming? B/C I know stuff like Nexium you are supposed to take once a day wether or not you have heartburn for it to be effective. Has anyone taken NuLev and have you experienced any side effects?

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Re: Question about NuLev new
      #99471 - 08/19/04 01:28 PM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

yes - I was on NuLev. I took it in the morning and at night. I did have side effects - extreme cramping and thirst. Anne

Re: Question about NuLev new
      #99624 - 08/20/04 06:18 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I am on it now.. I take it when I eat a trigger food or when I realize I am having an attack... it makes me ungodly thirsty, otherwise no side effects. I can take up to 2 every 4 hours as needed...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#99635 - 08/20/04 06:49 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Tissy, congrats on finding a good doctor. That is a rare thing around here, lol. Personally, I'm moving within the next week and a half and will have to find another doc very soon, and I'm a little nervous about it. Not that mine's fantastic, but who knows what I'll find moving to a very rural area. I hope they know at least something about IBS! Although if not, oh well... it seems like most of us know more than our docs anyway.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1546

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review