All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Just Wondering
      #98437 - 08/15/04 12:09 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I started using rice butter since the only soy butter I found contains 11 grams of fat per tablespoon and I know that I can't handle that much fat without spending the nect few hours in the bathroom . Anyways, I've noticed that my rice butter doesn't melt when I put it on hot foods such as baked potatos or pasta, and it does really strange things when I microwave it. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem, or new of any safe products that behaved more like "normal".

Meg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just Wondering new
      #98441 - 08/15/04 12:22 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I know I'm not gonna help much, but try avoiding butter. I use soy butter, but only when absolutely needed. Pam has butter flavored cooking spray that works just fine in place of it. When it comes to my bread...I just eat it plain. You could also try using jam on bread or english muffins. No matter what, butter just seems to be loaded with fat.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Just Wondering new
      #98444 - 08/15/04 12:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I second that. I decided to try Pam butter-flavored spray on my toast when I discovered that soy margarine bothered me and I couldn't find any alternatives. I never looked back! I use Pam for cooking, for spraying on toast, pasta, vegetables, any time I want a little buttery taste. It works, and I don't have to worry about the fat content.

butter spray new
      #98469 - 08/15/04 01:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Do you guys ever use I can't believe it's not butter spray? I suppose not b/c it lists buttermilk. I think that I am fine with it and I think it is a miniscule amount of buttermilk. It is better than nothing and frankly the thought of putting pam on my already cooked food and eating it grosses me out. I have gotten used to eating rolls and bagettes without anything on them and it is good to finally taste the bread taste.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: butter alternatives new
      #98472 - 08/15/04 01:42 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I agree with you, I'm new to this diet and can't stand the thought of eating toast or a potato without some kind of butter. I'll give the pam a try since I'm at the point where I'll try just about anything if it will help me to feel beter. The reason I bought the rice butter is because it only contained 3 grams of fat so I thought it would be a much safer option than the soy butter. Does anybody know of a low-fat soy butter?

Meg

#98573 - 08/16/04 05:20 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

There's also a product out called butter buds. Find it in the spice section of the grocery store. Sprinkle some on baked potatoes or vegetables. It helps if they're a bit steamy and moist because the stuff is powder. It sorta moistens and gives you a buttery flavour.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#98593 - 08/16/04 07:40 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

I'm not sure if you'll be able to find this in your area - I can no longer get it around where I live - but, Soy Garden is an excellent butter/margarine alternative. I'm not sure what the fat content is, however, when I used it in small amounts, I was fine.

Re: butter spray new
      #98601 - 08/16/04 08:06 AM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

Little Mini, I've been using ICBINB spread and I feel better than when using any soy based product. I use it sparingly on breads and potatoes. It seems to have the least amount of fat per serving and tastes the best to me. Whenever I use a soy based butter, I don't get sick but I do get a "heavy" feeling in my stomach which I don't get wtih the ICBINB product. As far as the buttermilk goes, as you say it must be so little in amount that some of us can tolerate it especially if preceeded with a precautionary dose of soluable fiber.

Re: butter spray & pam new
      #98643 - 08/16/04 10:51 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Hi there! just wanted to let you know that I use ICBINB Spray and Butter Flavored Pam all the time with no problems.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: butter buds new
      #98656 - 08/16/04 11:34 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Unfortunately, it looks like butter buds contain real butter! No wonder they taste good! I just checked the butter buds website at www.butterbuds.com

The ingredients are: maltodextrin (a natural carbohydrate derived from corn), natural butter flavor (extracted from the butter oils and then dried to a powder-like form), salt, dehydrated butter, guar gum and baking soda.

I've been doing without butter or margarine for years now and you have no idea how much I wish I could find something IBS-safe to replace it. I get so miserable with dry sandwiches that I often resort (in desperation) to putting mashed potato or mashed yams on the sandwich to replace the butter and give it some moisture. So far, I have been absolutely unable to find any margarine or butter alternative that doesn't irritate my IBS. Sigh.

Belinda

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1627

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review