Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Going out.....questions
      #98427 - 08/15/04 11:50 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi All
I am so sick of my IBS, I can't go anywhere now without having discomfort all day , today we went to the beach, it was a 2hr drive to get there and I was fine first thing.
Had a little snack in the car was fine, then lunch, I had a tureky roll a few pringles and some drink and straight away I got trapped wind in my right hand side (it always seems to go there?) Anyway, I wanted to ask is trapped wind part of IBS?? I get it after every meal now, if not trapped just very gasey in general, I also find my lower back aches quite a lot during this.

The peppermint caps are brill they seem to really ease symptoms for me but the ones I am taking only allow you to take them for 2 weeks at a time. Is there anything else I could try??

Also another embarrassing question, I find I usually need the toilet after meals, does anyone else get this?
It's so awkward when you're out for the day and can't really go, I had to hold it mostly all day today

Niki
xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Going out.....questions new
      #98431 - 08/15/04 11:59 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Trapped gas is common. Look under YOGA for IBS (left hand margin) and look up the wind relieving poses. There's one wher e you put your knee to your chest and whoo wee. It really works.

Heather sells peppermint capsules on this website and they're awesome. As far as I know there are no restrictions on how long you can take them. They're just peppermint, fennel and ginger extracts, so you can have them every day.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#98432 - 08/15/04 12:00 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

boy can i sympathize! i dont' go anywhere without my 'feedbag' which includes teabags, gas-x, fiber pills, etc... !! and a public toilet within eyesight.

my MD told me the gas pain is from IBS, i get the exact same thing, after every meal (15mins - 2hrs after eating). it's on my right hand side and toward the back, sometimes extending down to the kidney. sux don't it? sometimes gas-x helps, not always. if i can get a VERY HOT cup of decaf tea, that sometimes works too.

you might consider re-booting your tummy by eating only what's on heathers' IBS diet list "when you can't eat anything" for 4-5 days. see if that helps. it may have been the pringles, or what you had to drink, that set things off.

hope you feel better! kk

#98433 - 08/15/04 12:02 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I tend to get gas alot too. I find that the chewable Gas-X (OTC) seem to work pretty well, even if they do taste like flavored chalk! I also get traped gas and back pain and find that lying on my LEFT side helps ease the pain (it has something to do with the anatomy of the intestines, blah blah blah). As for needing to go the the bathroom after meals, I find that if I eat something with too much fat I have to go less than ten minutes after eating, but the rest of the time I'm usually okay.

Hope this helps!

Meg

#98435 - 08/15/04 12:06 PM
Niki J

So glad Im not the only one! (Not that I wish it on anyone, but it's nice to know that it is IBS!)

It's good to know about Heather's peppermint caps, the only trouble is I am in the UK and can't afford them right now

I am going to see a dietician on friday and will see how I go with that, not sure wether they will be helpful or not, I've heard people say that they arent always on the ball when it comes to IBS.
I'll see and take it from there, if not I have all this great info on this site!

I just wish I could get some relief I think my IBS is the worst it's been in years.
Niki
xxx

Another trapped gasser..... new
      #98440 - 08/15/04 12:16 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Niki,

Yeah, I get trapped gas, too. Sometimes it's just annoying and other times it is quite painful. I use OTC Phazyme and that does seem to help. Be careful with Gas-X chewables...some of them contain sorbitol! Also, I found that walking around kinda gets it moving sometimes and squatting a few times helps push it around. My hubby has no problem getting his "all" out....I'm so jealous because mine just sits there trapped.

Are you watching what you eat to be sure you are not eating gas producing foods or colas?

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: Gas-X and Sorbitol new
      #98460 - 08/15/04 01:12 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I just saw Barbie's post about Gas-X containing sorbitol, so I pulled out my box and read the ingredients. For the record, Gas-X with Maalox extra-strength antigas plus antacid wild-berry flavored does not contain sorbitol.

Active ingredients: calcium carbonate, simethicone
Inactive ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Red 30, dextrose, flavors, maltodextrin, mannitol, pregelitinized starch, talc, tribasic calcium phosphate

I'm new to the IBS diet, but maybe some of the long-timers would know if any of these ingredients are triggers. Hopefully not, cause they really work for me!

Meg

Re: UK - can you get Altoids? new
      #98574 - 08/16/04 05:22 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think you can get Altoids over there, can't you? Little peppermint candies - you can try those. I swallow a couple anytime - easy to carry in your purse, too.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#98575 - 08/16/04 05:33 AM
Niki J

Oh I don't know! I will try and find out!
Thanks
Niki
xxx

#98584 - 08/16/04 06:46 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I should hope so. They have been made there for 250 years.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4125

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review