All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Scoliosis, IBS, and traveling
      #97711 - 08/12/04 07:13 AM
Living Waters Ranch

Reged: 07/23/04
Loc: Georgia, USA

I have been on Heather's diet for several years now, and doing well on it. Acacia and a probiotic are part of my supplements. However, I still have not been succesful traveling by car. I was wondering if perhaps my scoliosis was resposible because I have no problem traveling by air. Any thoughts on this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scoliosis, IBS, and traveling new
      #97713 - 08/12/04 07:31 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

My friend is in a wheelchair, and ever since he was paralyzed, he has stomach trouble when travelling by air. I have trouble too for the same reasons, because of the air pressure in the cabin messing with my bowels.

I travel for work and have been on 100s of flights in my lifetime, and fasting plus imodium with simethicone (Imodium Advanced) is the only thing for me that doesn't aggrivate my IBS-D (gassy, explosive) symptoms. That I've found, that is.

I have scoliosis too (a 9 degree s-curve, I think they seek to correct 10 and above??), and I'd be interested to hear if any other IBS-Ders have scoliosis too. I think it's about the same percentage of women in the US who have IBS who have scoliosis. I wonder how much overlap there is?

~nel~

flying and farting!! new
      #97717 - 08/12/04 07:56 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I travel well by car (I don't have scoliosis) and often find the movement soothes my nausea (same for boats!!!)...although sometimes its the opposite.
But flying!! the further we rise into the air, the bigger my tummy bloats out...and then I release the worst farts ever!! its like 100 hard boiled eggs!! the funniest thing is that my husband and I did a round the world trip together early on in our relationship (last year) and we took about 25 flights together. I have never confessed that the terrible smell that seems to accompany him on flights is me!!! How many more flights till he realises its his petite little wife that is making the entire cabin stink!!
Was that too much info?
nevermind...we need to laugh about this sometimes or we will just cry..eh?
XXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Scoliosis new
      #97788 - 08/12/04 11:28 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

I have had scoliosis since I was a teenager--actually have a 45deg. curve in my lower back which I have been seeing my chiro about for years. I have always had stomach problems on and off in my life, but about a year ago the IBS hit in earnest. My chiro really feels the scoliosis is what is the main aggravating factor with the IBS. Which really makes sense to me as the diet and SFS alone have not yet made me stable. So, yes, I really believe scoliosis is a factor in the IBS wheel of life for those of us that suffer from the scoliosis.

Yep, another IBS'r and Scoliosis new
      #97863 - 08/12/04 02:54 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Ok, I think now we've determined that a lot of us with IBS have, IBS, scoliosis, tilted uteruses, and anxiety. What's up with that? The scoliosis must be pressing on our colon, tilted uterus is also pressing somehow, and we have anxiety from the stinkin IBS. It's no wonder we are all a mess !!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I 2nd that!!! - nt new
      #97867 - 08/12/04 02:59 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Yep, another IBS'r and Scoliosis new
      #97868 - 08/12/04 03:00 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I have a tilted uterus too..! Hmmm, conspiracy theory, anyone?

~nel~

Re: Scoliosis new
      #98047 - 08/13/04 10:46 AM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

I had scoliosis when i was younger and i just thought i outgrew it (if thats even possible?) Anyway, i've been having a lot of lower back pain recently and the doc just told me its because of scoliosis. Does anyone know what exercises help? I've been traveling a lot for work, so i'm sure the 5-6 hour plane rides dont help! thanks.

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

#98176 - 08/13/04 06:26 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I don't know of any exercises but I get lower back pain a lot when I go shopping for long periods of time.

I don't think you grow out of it. It's defined as a curvature of the spine and unless you've had surgery to correct it I believe it stays with you all your life. Mine was simply just prevented from getting worse by a back brace. My hips are still clearly uneven. One is higher than the other .

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#99137 - 08/18/04 10:50 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

My back has gotten better through weight training focusing on both back and front (chest, abs). Yoga's also been helpful, although I started it way after my scoliosis retreated to the undetectable-by-average-doctors level. Pilates might also be good since it focuses on the torso.

If you can find exercises that isolate one side of your body, those are really helpful. I found out really quick where my weaker side was, and I could work to build it up.

--AC (who went up to 25 degrees in her S-curve for a few months - but then stopped growing! )

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6403 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1329

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review