Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Rice and Pasta question
      #97209 - 08/10/04 01:46 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi All
I've suddenly clicked..when eating rice or pasta for soluable fiber foods are they meant to be brown rice and wheat pasta (or whatever it is called) or white??
I've been using white, is that wrong??
Niki
xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice and Pasta question new
      #97223 - 08/10/04 01:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you've been using white, you're a-ok.

Whole-wheat products are actually insolubles and should be eaten with caution... white products are recommended. I'm not sure how brown rice compares, but I know you're safe with white rice.

#97243 - 08/10/04 02:18 PM
Niki J

Thanks Casey.
I was always told that brown rice, pasta, bread etc was healthy and that white is bad for you, is that totally untrue??
Niki
xxx

#97249 - 08/10/04 02:29 PM
atomic rose

None of it is "bad" for you, so yes, that's partly untrue.

For IBS purposes, the white stuff is better because it's pure soluble fiber, which is the basis of the diet and regulates your digestive system's functioning.

The brown stuff contains whole bran, which is insoluble fiber. We can still eat it, but like any other insoluble, it has to be eaten carefully, with a base of soluble fiber to cushion it.

#97253 - 08/10/04 02:32 PM
Niki J

Thanks Casey
Niki
xxx

#97335 - 08/10/04 08:13 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Yes, brown rice and white rice and pasta are safe to eat. As for bread it must be fresh baked white, or french bread. I had no idea that bread was bothering me until one day when I ate fresh bread with my usual turkey and the next day I ate store bought bread and I noticed a big difference I can't eat anything other than bread made that day. I was told by some of the other members to buy the bread from grocery store bakery's and delis.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

it all depends new
      #97364 - 08/10/04 11:41 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

it all depends on if you are an ibs c or ibs d....i can't tolerate white bread, it makes me so constipated and the same with white pasta, yet I can't have more then three slices of fresh wholewheat a day. it must come from a bakery..no processed bread for ibsers!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: it all depends new
      #97374 - 08/11/04 05:28 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Heather's diet is based on having soluble fibre as your constant staple. Soluble fibre does not cause constipation. Here is the link that explains: (scroll down to the part where it asks why soluble fibre helps both D and C) web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Fresh bread.... new
      #97382 - 08/11/04 06:18 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I eat 'processed' bread all the time - white bread, I just check the ingredients. I do fine with all of them. Is that wierd? It sounds like everyone's saying they only eat fresh bread all the time!

--------------------
~Cara~

Not me! new
      #97385 - 08/11/04 06:27 AM
atomic rose

I buy fresh bread when the Wal-Mart bakery has a sale and the loaves are $1 apiece. Then I stock up and throw it in the freezer. Otherwise, I eat "processed" bread and do the same thing - read the labels. Actually, lately, I've been eating English muffins instead of bread, but - same thing. The only ones I've found I have to avoid are the ones marketed towards low-carbers. But since that stuff is 4 times as expensive, that's no problem at all.

I'm curious about English Muffins... new
      #97407 - 08/11/04 08:02 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Which brand do you buy Casey?? I haven't found one that doesn't have dairy in it!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Come to think of it... new
      #97415 - 08/11/04 08:25 AM
atomic rose

I totally eat my words on that one... the English muffins I'm eating are from our supermarket's bakery. I totally forgot that, because I took them out of their original packaging and put them in freezer bags. So I guess I do buy bakery bread, haha.

Re: I'm curious about English Muffins... new
      #97418 - 08/11/04 08:25 AM
Cara4503

Yeah I noticed they have dairy too - but I found some that are sourdough! They were just at my local grocery store, and Super Walmart.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: I'm curious about English Muffins... new
      #97419 - 08/11/04 08:28 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I really like the sourdough muffins. I usually get the Van de Kamp's ones. They might be the store brand; I'm not sure. Anyway, they go on sale for 99 cents for a bag of six, and they're great with soy margarine!

Also, Cara, I always buy the "processed" bread, too. I do have a breadmaker, but I've only made one loaf so far, LOL. Lately I've been buying an oat bran bread which my body seems to tolerate just fine.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Where's bread without HFCS? new
      #97471 - 08/11/04 11:28 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I have read labels till I'm blue in the face and can hardly find any breads that don't have HFCS in them. The only one I found is Rainbo Big loaf. Even the fresh baked breads have it in them!! Grrrrrr! Can anyone help??

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Where's bread without HFCS? new
      #97492 - 08/11/04 12:22 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Jeez, why do breads need any sweetener in them anyhow? It should be just flour, water, yeast (or sourdough starter), and salt. Have you looked for breads at any local bakeries or health food stores?

--AC

I learned the hard way new
      #97508 - 08/11/04 01:01 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

I was at friend's for dinner and I took a bite of teh pasta- and immediately- no joke- within 20 seconds- I said- what kind of pasta is this, and she replied , "Whole wheat..." I have never been sicker....I'd stay away from whole wheat pasta if I were you.

Re: Where's bread without HFCS? new
      #97509 - 08/11/04 01:07 PM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

hey Barbie,
for that exact reason I bought a breadmaker. Now I know exactly what's in it. I was also buying potato bread; didn't seem to have HFCS.
Hope this helps!

-nicky-

--------------------
nicky

#97513 - 08/11/04 01:48 PM
daliatree

I seriously cannot eat one piece of white bread without getting backed up and totally stabilise my ibs with wholewheat bread, seed butters, lots of salads, vegies and brown rice....I must be different to everyone else..but seriously..I need no soluble base unless I am on the d side which happens occassionally. Even Heather eats wholewheat flour now...she is that stable!!!

--------------------

#97522 - 08/11/04 02:09 PM
LauraSue

Loc: New York City

Quote:

Heather's diet is based on having soluble fibre as your constant staple. Soluble fibre does not cause constipation. Here is the link that explains: (scroll down to the part where it asks why soluble fibre helps both D and C) web page

I think it bears repeating.

1. Soluble fiber is essential for stabilizing both C and D. (See link above for why.)

2. Insoluble fiber is essential for general health.

3. The goal for both C and D'ers is to eat as much INSOLUBLE fiber as you can for general health without triggering an attack.

4. White bread, pasta, etc, are soluble fiber.

5. Whole wheat bread, brown rice, etc, are BOTH soluble fiber and insoluble fiber.

Does that help, everybody?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#97570 - 08/11/04 03:13 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Yes, Heather might be able to tolerate wholewheat. Please read the links LauraSue and I gave you. It explains that the bread is NOT the culprit of constipation.
Constipation is the result of the colon being OVERSTIMULATED by too much INSOLUBLE FIBER. So instead of doing diarrhea, the whole system just shuts down and it creates a vicious cycle. Yes, insolubles may help in the short term getting you to go but ultimately your colon will say "whoa, way too much insolubles" and shut down.

--------------------

#97571 - 08/11/04 03:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Yes, Heather might be able to tolerate wholewheat. Please read the links LauraSue and I gave you. It explains that the bread is NOT the culprit of constipation.
Constipation is the result of the colon being OVERSTIMULATED by too much INSOLUBLE FIBER. So instead of doing diarrhea, the whole system just shuts down and it creates a vicious cycle. Yes, insolubles may help in the short term getting you to go but ultimately your colon will say "whoa, way too much insolubles" and shut down. web page This explains why soluble fibre is good for both diarrhea and constipation.

--------------------

Re: dalia please read this new
      #97572 - 08/11/04 03:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Constipation is the result of the colon being OVERSTIMULATED by too much INSOLUBLE FIBER. So instead of doing diarrhea, the whole system just shuts down and it creates a vicious cycle. Yes, insolubles may help in the short term getting you to go but ultimately your colon will say "whoa, way too much insolubles" and shut down. web page This explains why soluble fibre is good for both diarrhea and constipation.

--------------------

Re: dalia please read this new
      #97628 - 08/11/04 05:51 PM
LauraSue

Loc: New York City

Um, Han???? Did you really mean to post three times or were you just trying to edit the first reply???

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#97642 - 08/11/04 07:23 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

it must depend on what you are cause I am a ibs - c and I had always eating whole wheat bread and I started this diet last thrusday and started eating sourdough bread and french bread and it has only bettered things for me...

--------------------
Donell

Re: Fresh bread.... new
      #97643 - 08/11/04 07:24 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

What do you check for in the ingredients - I am still not sure of that...

--------------------
Donell

Ingredients new
      #97646 - 08/11/04 07:43 PM
atomic rose

Don't worry, it's pretty simple. You want to watch for high-fructose corn syrup, for starters, which is a potential trigger for a lot of people. Then you have to check for dairy products - not just the obvious milk/cream/butter, but also "hidden" dairy derivatives, which commonly appear as whey or casein/caseinate.

This is part of the reason bakery breads are considered to be better - they're far less likely to contain a lot of oddball ingredients and additives that go into the more processed loaves.

#97649 - 08/11/04 08:05 PM
daliatree

hey!
I hear you, and believe me, there is nothing I would like better then to tolerate heathers diet..its way easier and yummier then the one I have to follow...when I first got her book I tried it and it killed me.
I tried it without the soluble fibre supplements though....are they a necessity to 'complete the program' if you like?
really interested to hear!!
XXXX thanks

--------------------

Re: Supplements and Celiac for Dalia new
      #97682 - 08/12/04 05:11 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

It depends on what supplement you were taking and how much. Check - there's a spot at the opening of the IBS board called "all about fiber supplements". That should help.
Also, have you been tested for celiac? I'm wondering if that's a possibility considering your situation.

--------------------

Re: DUH! Oops. -nt- new
      #97683 - 08/12/04 05:12 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

--------------------

HFCS new
      #97709 - 08/12/04 06:59 AM
Cara4503

Yes Casey is right - that's what I check for in bread. Mainly I look for any lactose in things because lactose is the worst for me and has been all my life.
However - I do completely fine with LOTS of high fructose corn syrup - I mean I eat candy every day, and not just a little of it....so all people are different. Don't be scared to try something because of HFCS, because if it's not a trigger for you, that opens a lot of doors (or should I say cabinets? ).

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Supplements and Celiac for Dalia new
      #97957 - 08/13/04 12:30 AM
daliatree

no I've not been tested for celiac...I've often wondered about it but always been convinced that it can't be and I agree because I don't get illlllll when I eat white flour, I just get constipated!!!!:-)
But I am under the care of a new gastro and will ask him!!!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXx thanks

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4621

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review