All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A Couple of Questions
      #97182 - 08/10/04 01:21 PM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

I have already gotten some wonderful advice from reading the informaiton on these boards as well as this site--there are a few things I still have questions about.
1. Is cantalope allowed? I have found no mention of this fruit one way or the other.
2. When baking, how do you substitute canola oil in recipes for butter? I cant think it is equal.
3. Since I am just beginning this journey-- now 4 days on diet--could someone tell me how they eat--some sample amounts and how often--I know portion size is also a problem for me.

Thanks everyone!!

Missy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome, Missy! new
      #97197 - 08/10/04 01:35 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I'll do my best to help with your questions.

1. Cantaloupe isn't mentioned, which would lead me to guess that it's insoluble. Therefore, consume with caution in small amounts after a good soluble meal.

2. I don't know how it works to substitute canola for the butter, but everything I have made (peppermint cake, chocolate applesauce cake, banana bread, rice crispy treats) has been super yummy.

3. Eating... Well, I find I feel best if I eat often. I typically wake up, have my acacia, and then have breakfast. I usually have cream of rice cereal with soy milk, oatmeal with soy milk, or sourdough muffins (2) with soy margarine. Then, about 2.5 hours later, I'll have a snack, usually a banana or, if I'm motivated, half a mango or a smoothie (one cup soy milk, banana, frozen mangoes, a few blueberries). Then, a couple of hours later I'll have lunch. I'll have stir fry, more sourdough muffins, soup, or a sandwich... I'll usually have something sweet with it, like a peeled peach or maybe a popsicle. Then 2.5 hours later (or so) I'll have another snack (Quakes--little rice cakes, dried mango, arrowroot crackers, fat free saltines), then 2-3 hours later I'll have dinner (often something out of Heather's book, or some concoction of my own that has a high soluble fiber base. This means it typically has pasta or rice and at least one veggie to get some insolubles.) I'll end with a small dinner salad. If I'm hungry later, I'll have another IBS-safe treat. Then, right before bed, I take my evening dose of acacia.

I hope this helps! I should also mention that I'm an IBS-D, so I'm extra cautious with insolubles.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Hi Missy! new
      #97213 - 08/10/04 01:49 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Welcome!

1. I'll second Christine - most fruits and vegetables are insoluble, so if you do eat it, eat it carefully, after a good soluble-fiber "base".

2. Baking for IBS is a little tricky. You can't just substitute canola oil for butter - not because it won't work (in most cases), but because the finished product would more than likely be too high in fat. In a lot of cases, you can substitute applesauce, prune puree, or mashed banana for half the oil/butter called for in a recipe. The exception? Cookies. Cookies, unfortunately, usually can't be made IBS-safe, because replacing the butter alters the texture significantly.

If you have questions about specific recipes, feel free to post them on the recipe board, and we'll help the best we can! Otherwise, definitely check out the recipes already here on the site; they're safe and really, really good.

3. I find I feel best if I eat about every 2-3 hours, in small amounts. Breakfast for me is typically a toasted English muffin or a couple Orange Juice Pancakes (do a search for the recipe!), with a jar of fruit babyfood (don't laugh; it's a safe way to eat fruit!). For lunch, I usually have homemade chicken-noodle-vegetable soup and some bread. Dinner is usually a casserole, or some grilled chicken, carrots, a green vegetable of some sort, and either pasta or safe mashed potatoes (made with broth and herbs instead of butter and milk). In between, I snack on mostly graham crackers, saltines, or Chinese rice crackers.

My amounts are always very small. I never eat more than 1/2 cup of any vegetable at any given time. Never more than 1 cup of pasta, or 1 1/2 cups of a pasta-based casserole. When I eat chicken, it's usually the equivalent of one breast half, or maybe even less than that. A typical "snack" is 2 full graham crackers (4 little rectangles per full cracker), 10 fat-free saltines, or 1/2 cup of the rice crackers. However... I'm also recovering from a really bad period of time where I couldn't eat much of anything, so I still probably eat a lot less than I should.

Re: A Couple of Questions new
      #97215 - 08/10/04 01:51 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

Hello and welcome!

I've only been following this for a couple of weeks and haven't 'graduated' to much fruit besides applesauce and bananas... but one thing that definitely works is eating small amounts every couple of hours. My purse is more like a 'feedbag' than anything! :-> I also take fiber supplements throughout the day; but definitely 1st thing in AM.

Good luck!

-kk

Christine new
      #97282 - 08/10/04 05:19 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Just wondering how much acacia you are taking? I try to have some in my tea 1st thing in the am, some in my tea at noon, nd then some in my evening tea. I'm up to 1tbs at the present. Had been up to 2tbs, but had to drop everything as I had a bad case of d and was advised to start from scratch on everything. So I'm starting all over again. Anyways, just curious.
Janene

Re: A Couple of Questions new
      #97291 - 08/10/04 05:51 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

Hello! I am also new to this diet, so I thoguht I would respond. I am not sure if you are C or D but I am C and for the past 4 days I have had for breakfast- cream of wheat with one piece of sourdough bread with jelly (seedless) and a glass of soy milk (choc), a banana for a snack, sandwich for lunch (sourdough bread, soy mayo, deli turkey meat and a little tomatoe) pretzels for snack an throughout the day two - three cups of tea and lots of water. Dinner has been usually chicken like one slice ( I cant eat a lot or I get bloated) with white rice and veg.) Every night thus far I have had a large cup of the fennel tea I got with the book as well. for other snacks I have been eating tortilla chips, dried banana chips, pita bread with plain hummus...

Don't know if this helps - but it helped me immediately. I have found I have to eat in small amounts all throughout the day and I am still trying to get use to what I can eat and what I cannot according to the diet.
I use to drink a lot of coffee and dairy and I have completely eliminated red meat, dairy and coffee..and have seen a huge difference.

Hope this helps...
to answer you - melon I am not sure good question though, hope someone answers...and I am not sure about the oil either...sorry!!

--------------------
Donell

Re: Hi Missy! new
      #97292 - 08/10/04 05:54 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

Fruit babyfood huh?...that is very interesting, I will have to try that!

--------------------
Donell

Janene new
      #97293 - 08/10/04 05:55 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I do one tablespoon first thing in the morning in a glass of cranberry juice (the pure stuff, so a shot of juice in a full glass of water.) I do another level tablespoon right before bed (also in cran juic) for a total of 2 tablespoons or 9 grams of soluble fiber per day.

I seem to be pretty stable at this dose, and it's a nice round number, so I'm hoping to stay here.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1626

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review