All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Iron -- getting enough
      #97124 - 08/10/04 10:22 AM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

Hey -- everyone was so helpful last time...re: thai food suggestions. And then last minute -- my friends switched to Mexican food. However, I was able to get grilled fish and tortillas, and all went well. Thanks! New issue: I have had iron-deficient anemia and it's taken about 1.5 years of taking iron supplements to get back to normal. I had planned on continuing them (since my diet isn't very high in iron) -- but had discontinued them for a few weeks for other reasons. And my IBS has improved immensely (I'm a C) -- along with all my other changes. I DO NOT want to go back on the iron supplements (I was using the higher quality time-released kind). But I also don't want to go back to being anemic. One person suggested oatmeal. But before I was diagnosed with anemia, I was eating a bowl of oatmeal (real kind) every day. Any suggestions? It really doesn't take much of anything to stop my intestines.

I have a feeling there's not a whole lot of options...but thanks for any bit of insight.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Iron -- getting enough new
      #97130 - 08/10/04 11:01 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - I had to up my iron to donate blood before. Hopefully this can help you out some. Getting more iron.....

BTW - my next drive is 10/7. Wish me luck!

Re: Iron -- getting enough new
      #97392 - 08/11/04 06:57 AM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

Mags2003 -- That helps tons. Thank you so much. And yes...good luck on your donation. I was donating a lot before the anemia, but have totally given up since the anemia. And not really gone back to it. But you've inspired me to get back to donating. Thanks #2.

borderline anemic myself... new
      #97400 - 08/11/04 07:24 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Iron stops me up big time and though a huge fan of donating blood, there are times that my blood doesn't sink unless I eat well the night before.

I am a "C" as well and too much iron wreaks havoc on my system. I tend to eat as I wish until my body tells me otherwise and then eat a little "high-iron" food. It works for me and seldom to I have a bad bout of "C"

Rooibos & Iron new
      #97615 - 08/11/04 05:29 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey! I just got this new tea tonight (Uncle Lee's Tea Organic Chai in Orange Ginger with Rooibos) and it had an insert "All About Rooibos". It listed a few things great about rooibos, but one of them was "Rooibos also contains iron, as well as potassium and copper, minerals which are essential for several metabolic functions. Additionally, Rooibos actually increases the absorption of iron in the body."

Pretty cool, huh? Just thought I'd share....

I'm honored I've inspired you to get back to donating! Good luck getting your iron up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6492 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 613

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review