All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Another Question About Immodium
      #97000 - 08/09/04 10:09 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Hey all! Since we've been on the topic of immodium as a preventative, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about long-term effects of regular use? My mom (hypochondriac) worries about me taking it often, but I don't have any side effects and need it in those iffy situations. Just curious if anyone has gotten any cautions from their docs on the long-term? I tried searching the net for info, and found one page, but I'm not sure how reliable the site is. Click Here

Any ideas?

~*Amber*~

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another Question About Immodium new
      #97007 - 08/10/04 12:39 AM
Jayne in Japan

Reged: 07/14/04

Sorry, don't know the answer but I'd like to know that too. Anyone got any ideas?

#97022 - 08/10/04 05:56 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

well- my doctor told me to use it, btu I will bring this up with her.. of course I'm ibs-a and only use it when eating something I know will trigger a D attack...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#97041 - 08/10/04 07:00 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Here is another site about Imodium.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/showpreparation.asp?id=1326

I don't think anyone should rely on website info to make a decision on meds but I think they help give you basic info. I would suggest asking a pharmacist. They can be more helpful about meds that docs sometimes.

I only take Imodium once in a while when I have D. Anyone who uses it daily might want to check into it.

Barbie

--------------------

One answer, imho new
      #97051 - 08/10/04 07:24 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi everyone,

I've used imodium off and on for the last 10 years, and regularly for the last 5. In the last 5 I have relied on only immodium, as other treatments don't work for my IBS-D (I've tried them all, they work for about a month then stop working altogether).

I take 60 2mg pills by Rx every month (loperamide), and buy a supplemental 24 OTC imodium advanced. These I take in the morning as a preventative, and during meals to stop attacks in their tracks. The Rx loperamide I take 2ce a day at regular intervals, one b4 lunch, one b4 dinner.

I get 3 month checkups to get glucose, iron, liver and thyroid tests, and have been in "perfect health" according to these tests for the last 5 years. I have IBS-D (gassy explosive) for 21 years, and have had recognized improvement in the last 5 simply by taking imodium.

Hope this helps!

~nel~

I also have a Question About Immodium new
      #97054 - 08/10/04 07:36 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Has anyone ever had side effects from Immodium advanced? I got nauseous and I felt light headed, I never felt that way with the regular strength Immodium.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: I also have a Question About Immodium new
      #97057 - 08/10/04 07:46 AM
barbie

I have never taken the Imodium Advanced but did you know the chewable ones have sorbitol? Maybe that is what's causing your problems.

Barbie

--------------------

Question for barbie new
      #97060 - 08/10/04 07:50 AM
Sweetd

I take the non chewable caps. Do they have sorbitol in it as well?

--------------------

Re: Question for barbie new
      #97062 - 08/10/04 07:58 AM
barbie

No they don't according to the website. Here's some info from website:

Active Ingredients Purposes
Loperamide HCI........... Anti-diarrheal
Simethicone.................. Anti-gas
Active Ingredients Inactive Ingredients

Imodium Advanced

Chewable Tablets Loperamide HCl 2 mg Simethicone 125 mg
(in each tablet) Cellulose acetate, corn starch, D&C yellow #10, dextrates, FD&C blue #1, flavors, microcrystalline cellulose, polymethacrylates, saccharin sodium, sorbitol, stearic acid, sucrose, tribasic calcium phosphate.
Imodium Advanced

Caplets Loperamide HCl 2 mg Simethicone 125 mg
(in each caplet) Acesulfame K, cellulose, dibasic calcium phosphate, flavor, sodium starch glycolate, stearic acid.
-------------------------------------------------
You might look on the back of your box just to be sure.
Don't know why you are having problems with it????

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Question for barbie new
      #97066 - 08/10/04 07:59 AM
Sweetd

Thank you very much!

--------------------

Nelly new
      #97150 - 08/10/04 12:11 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

It was very interesting to read your post. I have tried so many things adn nothing seems to stabilize me. I have scoliosis and have a 45degree curve in my lower back and have seen a chiro. reg. for years. Because I'm very active, it's never laid me flat. However, when the IBS hit in earnest a year ago, his opinion is that where the 45 deg. curve is, that's where the nerves run from the back into the colon area and that is what's given my colon fits. He could be right, because I can't seem to get a handle on it with diet and SFS . I've been interested in Immodium (I posted a question about it a few days ago and you responded to that one as well-thanx) because when the spasms hit, that's the only thing that stops the spasms and trips to the bth. right away. It's just that for the next day then, I'm constipated and have a bad time of it when I do go again the following day. However, after reading your post today, I'm going to try tomorrow taking 1 Immodium right after my 1st bm in the morning, which is usually normal--the spasms come about 15-30 min. after that. Hopefully, that would stop the spams from happening and not make me constipated by taking just one. Here's hoping....
You give me hope
Janene

Re: Nelly-- S-curve? new
      #97156 - 08/10/04 12:30 PM
Nelly

Janene,

Definitely let me know if it helps! I've been there and believe me, it's no fun facing the certainty of pain without a solution. Imodium has been a life saver fo rme and I hope it works the same for you!

I'm interested in your scoliosis too... I have a 9 degree S-curve but never made the connexion between it and my IBS-D. I can't lie (lay?) on my back either, or my stomach will go out. I'd be interested to know if there is any research or even empirical evidence anyone has out there that ties the two together?

I'm crossing my fingers for you!! All my best,

~nel~

Re: Nelly-- S-curve? new
      #97287 - 08/10/04 05:31 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Hi Nelly,
What my chiro. has told me about how the body works together and how everything is tied in makes sense. I have had back problems all my life, but like I said, because I've always been very exercise conscious, I've been able to stay on top of the scoliosis. However, because of my age, and muscles beginning to relax abit, it could be that the curvature of my spine is really interfering with the colon. I do have an appt. with a GI at the end of the month, so will have all the necessary tests to confirm that it is the IBS. I did have a colonoscopy 7 yrs ago and that is when I was diagnosed with IBS but was always able to keep it under control instead of it controlling me like it has for the past year. I'm just praying that the Immodium works. I'm about at my wits end. What seems to work for so many here on the boards, just doesn't totally work for me, and believe, me I've tried so many different things. That's why I keep coming back to the scoliosis and thinking my chiro may be on the right track. I'll keep you posted. Again, thanx for your help
Janene

#98926 - 08/17/04 02:13 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Amber, first a very warm welcome to our community here! It's really a great place.

I take a lot of Imodium as a preventive and have absolutely no long term problems with it. My husband used to be worried that I was taking too much too often, but once my doctor said it was okay, he stopped worrying. Of course everybody's different and I'm not a doctor, so go by what your doctor says is okay for you. But I've been stable (no diarrhea attacks) for over 7 months now, and one of the major reasons is I started taking Imodium as a preventive rather than after the attack had already started. So I swear by it.

BTW, I believe Imodium comes in liquid form for children, so if 1 tablet isn't enough and 2 is too much, you can take 1 1/2 doses with the liquid. Or if 1 is too much you can take 1/2 or even less with the liquid. That way you don't swing to C.

Hope this helps and keep coming back, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#98968 - 08/17/04 05:41 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Thanks Laura Sue, for the welcome and the advice! I actually didn't know that there was a liquid form of immodium - I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I kind of have to watch my medicine intake anyway, because I'm child-sized Thanks again, and I'm so glad to have found this board!

~*Amber*~

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#98970 - 08/17/04 05:42 PM
LauraSue

You're very welcome!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Another Question About Immodium new
      #99042 - 08/18/04 06:03 AM
EDK

Reged: 05/04/04

I take Immodium just before having supper out in a restaurant and this helps not having to jump up and run to the washroom. Or if I'm planning a day out with friends.
Or would it be better to take it every morning, every day and be done with it? I do not like to take drugs, pills or medicines so am always on the safe side.

#99167 - 08/18/04 01:02 PM
LauraSue

Quote:

I take Immodium just before having supper out in a restaurant and this helps not having to jump up and run to the washroom. Or if I'm planning a day out with friends.
Or would it be better to take it every morning, every day and be done with it? I do not like to take drugs, pills or medicines so am always on the safe side.

I don't take Imodium every morning as a regular thing, but I do that with Gax-X. For me, it works fine taking an Imodium before a dinner out, or with an NSAID like Aleve, or when I'm feeling iffy. So let your body tell you. If you're okay taking it only before a dinner or day out, then there's no need to take it every day.

Oh, and by the way, welcome!! I don't think I've said hi to you before! Glad you found us.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#99175 - 08/18/04 01:15 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Since we're on the subject, I was wondering how long it takes for the Immodium to 'kick in' -- if I take a pill, about how long should I expect before things start to get better?

#99185 - 08/18/04 01:36 PM
Nelly

LS,

Isn't Naproxen sodium (Aleve) extremely hard on the gut? I can't take Advil or Aspirin for that reason, because it aggravates IBS-D. But Naproxen sodium is especially hard on the stomach, at least that's what my GI has confirmed.

I had tried taking it a couple of times before I consulted my doc and it was like, woah, fire in da belly. Do you take it for arthritis relief, LS?

~nel~

#99285 - 08/18/04 06:29 PM
EDK

I find that within 1/2 ~ 3/4 hr. it takes to have affect. I take it before going to a restaurant and then I can relax and enjoy the evening.

Another Question About Immodium new
      #99288 - 08/18/04 06:34 PM
EDK

Thanks for the welcome. I'm always a believer in eating moderatly and carefully and not snacking. Good cereal breakfast, yogurt and banana for lunch, chicken or fish in the evening with either rice or potatoes. Can't say I'm abusing my intestines.

#99846 - 08/20/04 06:51 PM
LauraSue

JRS, it depends on how severe the attack is. When I take it just because I feel a little iffy, my tummy settles down within 20 minutes. If I'm in a fullblown D attack, my body's going to empty itself out and all the Imodium in the world won't stop it!! In general, though I'd say 30 to 60 minutes maybe?

Anyone else?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#99848 - 08/20/04 06:53 PM
LauraSue

Yes, Aleve used to give me D everytime I took it but it was the only thing that stopped my horrendous menstrual cramps (I was losing a day of work a month). Just recently I've discovered that I can take it with Imodium and I'm okay. I would never take it on a regular basis though. But for that one day a month, it's priceless!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#99882 - 08/21/04 06:08 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It takes a *really really* long time to kick in, for me, but I think that's because I take a single tablet (child's dose, essentially). I've found that if I take a normal adult dose, I get horribly C, so I just can't do it... I take a single pill, and end up waiting at least an hour, sometimes 2, for it to kick in. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review