All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New and frustrated
      #96576 - 08/08/04 04:02 PM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

I am new to the boards. I kind of found them by accident. This is my second day following the diet--the books are on order!! I pretty much have self-diagnosed myself as IBS-A--have been so for years (and Im only 32). I dont want to go into my symptoms, and I do have a GI I see. My question is--how do you deal with family members who are not IBS-anything and can eat whatever they want (and what I want) such as a DQ blizzard--my formwe favorite (eventhough it has left me more than once in horrible pain and D!! I know that should be enough to keep me away from them but my taste buds still are craving--after all this is only my second day!!!
thanks for your insight.

Missy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome, Missy new
      #96582 - 08/08/04 04:23 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

You have found a great place to vent your frustrations. I sympathize with you.

It is hard not to be able to eat what others are eating but I think you have to make a choice. Do I eat that tempting stuff and get sick or not eat it a feel good?? I am at the point that I have learned to walk away from that stuff in favor of feeling good. I look at each day that my stomach feels good as a great day.

I am lucky that I can eat a small amount of dairy if I take a lactaid pill first. I probably could eat 1/2 cup of the blizzard and probably be OK depending on what other stuff is mixed in with it. I love snickers bars but I get the little bite size kind and eat only one. So far I have been OK doing that.

You will just have to be a detective and see what you can eat and what you can't. Then you will be able to know what kind of foods to avoid. Keeping a food diary is a good idea and reading all labels to make sure there are no triggers such as sorbitol or HFCS in things.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: New and frustrated new
      #96583 - 08/08/04 04:26 PM
mrsdemos

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Atlanta

Hang in there!

Of course, see what your GI doc says.

In the meantime, I would suggest you read through as many of the pages on helpforibs.com as possible--very helpful.

I'm afraid IBS takes tons of patience--but there is hope.

I was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago (I was 33), with the help I got from Heather's website, I have since found the right docs, therapies and diet that works for me. I still have upset tummy days, but it is NOTHING like where I started.

As for your family members--give them time to adjust, but be firm in your choices. When my husband wants to go out for DQ, I get a Mr. Misty ,or whatever they call those slushy icy things :-) but only if I've had a meal, and my tummy feels pretty good that day. You'll get into these new habits, just give yourself time.

Good luck to you, and keep us all posted with your diagnosis, your questions, and your bad days--this site is full of really compassionate people.

Cheers!

#96639 - 08/08/04 07:42 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

Try your favorites in small doses. You`ll find out what gets to you the most. As for ice cream ( miss it more than anyone here)but it was the cause of most of my D. If I crave chocalate I have a glass of chocolate soy milk w/shortbread cookies(small amounts). By the way lost 16 pounds giveing up ice cream.

#96676 - 08/09/04 04:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

welcome- I'm reasonably new too... but last night DH wanted ice cream- we went to a place that also has slushies (I was hoping for one with sorbet, but those are all downtown and we were going the opposite direction for the evening for other reasons) and I ordered a small slushie, and was ok with that.. blue raspberry flavor, but I'm pretty sure it was flavored sugar water.. may have even had the hfcs- but I didn't ask... I am only 3 days into the diet (see my other post about bloating) but I don't think the bloating was any worse with the slushy then it was without it and I didn't feel completely left out. I did eat something about an hour earlier and again about an hour and a half later- trying to fit the 6 meals a day in thing...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#96685 - 08/09/04 06:43 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Missy, glad to hear you are trying the diet. You sound like me with IBS A for years and being in your early thirties. I'm not sure I undertstand if you want to know how you can bear not eating what others are eating or how you can get them to understand and sympathize.? Really we all have that trouble to some extent I think. I have talked about it all quite a bit with friends and family; I find friends to be more supportive. But as for that I have told them all how crummy I felt before the diet after I ate and how excrutiating it could be at times at parties and dinners and then how awesome I feel now. My stomach doesn't look pregnant anymore. So for explanations and sympathy I did that.
For resisting trigger foods you have to develop really amazing self-control and/or be satisfied with a tiny little bite of a treat after dinner. If you believe in the diet and the results staying on it is easier. I do go off sometimes for something but I do it when I'm not going anywhere and can bloat and get gassy without trouble but then I get mad at myself afterward-hey no one is perfect.
Try to find little fun things you can eat at various places and make it into a challenge to find the ok thing on the menu. I find that makes it feel good. And after dinner when everyone is feeling full and yucky you can feel slim and wonderful!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#96691 - 08/09/04 07:15 AM
alycat

Reged: 12/09/03
Loc: Washington, DC

I joke that between myself and the guy I am seeing, we can eat a whole meal and need only buy dinner for one! It can be hard sometimes when the person you are with can eat everything, or in my case, he eats mainly protein (I think he lives on egg whites, yogurt, grapefruit and chicken) and won't eat white bread or rice. However, hopefully your family will realize how much the diet can help you and work with you to find places where you and they can enjoy tasty treats. I have found my guy to actually be my enforcer -- always asking if I can really eat that or how is my stomach today when I want to cheat. Doesn't mean that it isn't frustrating to have a hard time finding a place for a little dinner out sometimes. (Try a tapas resturuant -- you order a bunch of small little dishes and therefore have a lot of control over what you eat!) However, eating in works well because so many of the recipes anyone would like (just made the salmon with mustard and dill -- it was fantastic! He even ate the potatoes with it.)

As for cravings -- well, they sorta eventually contain themselves because of the results if you give in. Sigh, I miss steak and bacon. BTW -- ice cream always destroys me no matter how well I am doing.

#96836 - 08/09/04 02:05 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey, I am new to this message board too although Ive been using this website since christmas now. Ive had ibs for 3 and 1/2 years and I know exactly what you mean about family members and friends. I am still having exactly the same problems trying to resist temptation. Im at university and find it very difficult going out with friends at night and not being able to drink and if I do panicking about how it will affect me the next day. feel free to send me any messages back, id like to hear from someone going through the difficulties Im finding at the moment. I try to be strong and have done very well at resisting but I do fall off the wagon quite alot. Good luck, keep at it
natalie xx

--------------------
Natalie

Welcome, Missy and Natalie!! -nt- new
      #96918 - 08/09/04 05:59 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: New and frustrated - Missy & Natalie....... new
      #96924 - 08/09/04 06:17 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Welcome to the boards!

A good way to resist temptation is to substitute, not deprive yourself. Maybe you should check out the recipe board and do a search on this board under ice-cream. I cannot tolerate table sugar, but most people with IBS can. There are some great (so I've heard!) non dairy frozen desserts that people on this board have raved about as well as some delicious recipes.

I've was so sick from January through May (I started feeling better once I got the proper medication and began Heather's diet) that it hasn't bothered me to see anyone eat anything at all!

Hang in there!

Kim

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1407

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review