Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I can't be good
      #96410 - 08/07/04 10:41 PM
teethcleaner

Reged: 07/04/04
Loc: California

Hey guys,
Well I started the IBS diet and have failed and failed again and again I just can't seem to give up my favorite foods like ice cream, yogurt and anything dairy! and soy yogurt is just GROSS!! I don't know what to do how to get motivated and started, should I just start on the strict diet to get started all soluble stuff...or give up I love food to much...I have never been good at diets I have no will power i'm lucky i'm not over weight because I sure wouldn't be good at losing it anyways looking forward to some helpful tips to keep on the diet

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I can't be good new
      #96412 - 08/07/04 10:53 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I sympathize with you about giving up foods you love, though in most cases there are good substitutes. There aren't really any tips about staying on the diet. Most people just get to a point where it's not worth the pain and anguish the "bad" foods cause, and it is worth it to pass them up and feel better. Maybe you're just not at that point yet?

I second that idea new
      #96420 - 08/07/04 11:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My boyfriend also has IBS, but a bit milder than I do. There's no way, not in a million years, that he'd do this diet. To him, the D all day is a fine tradeoff for being "allowed" to eat all the junk food, red meat, dairy, etc. that he eats on a daily basis.

Me? I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. For me, the diet is a no-brainer, because the alternative is to be bedridden for at least 3 days a week, and ya know what? A dish of ice cream is NOT worth the pain to me. And honestly? 2 months into it, I've stopped craving almost everything I gave up. I'm not even tempted anymore.

Most of us are like my boyfriend at one point or another, until the pain and inconvenience gets bad enough that sticking to the diet is suddenly just not a big deal. I wish I had better tips for you, but I really don't. Good luck!

Re: I third that new
      #96431 - 08/08/04 04:15 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

After a while you just know that if you eat that you're going to be in pain and it's not worth it. IBS gets in the way of work too, so I know it'll be a really not fun day at work if I eat the wrong foods.

At some point you'll have to decide if having 'bad' food is worth the pain. Maybe it is, in which case you can put up with things, but for the people on the diet it's not worth the pain.

#96440 - 08/08/04 06:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

try and make a list of all the foods that you like that you CAN eat with IBS. For example, I can't have milk or white chocolate (which I used to eat), but I'm okay with plain chocolate, so I buy really good quality plain chocolate and enjoy it!

But I agree with the others...there's a point where it's REALLY worth it.

#96452 - 08/08/04 07:30 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Giving up all the foods I like is difficult for me too. I have the same problem with lack of willpower. I think because I live in Spain and there are no substitues for most of the food I like it is difficult for me to strickly follow the diet. I can get soy milk and soy garden sliced cheese but can't get any other products, such as, ice cream, soy cheese pizza or soy yogurt.

Most of the foods that we aren't supposed to eat I have grown to not crave anymore and even if I feel every now and then that I want it if I give in it doesn't taste as good. There are a couple of things that I am having a hard time giving up, pizza for one, Dr. Pepper and chocolate. I try to eat really good most days so if I do cheat every now and then I won't feel as bad. Many times that doesn't work for me though. Usually it is the pizza that does me in.

I agree with everyone else that eventually you just get tired of feeling bad and it helps you stay away from the foods that make you feel sick. Just isn't worth it in the end.

Good luck!

--------------------
Janey

#96458 - 08/08/04 07:48 AM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I was diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago but given very little advice about how to change my diet. I was told to eliminate fats and eat more fiber. I stayed on that diet for a few months then gave up because I wasn't feeling that much better and I couldn't stand the cravings. I finally got motivated to try Heather's diet after ending up in the Emergency Room because I was too sick to do anything. I sympathize with you about the cravings, but you have to decide which is more important to you: the foods you love, or feeling better. Good Luck!

Re: I third that new
      #96469 - 08/08/04 08:09 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Ya know though, the only thing that stinks with IBS is that sometimes you can have those "trigger" foods and be fine one day then another day it kills ya.
My "not worth it foods" are milk products. Milk, ice cream, cream cheese and sour cream. I never have ice cream or milk cause it's not worth consequences. However, at picinics I dip into some sour cream dips or cream cheese dips and I'm USUALLY ok. Sometimes I'm not. I take the chance if I know I have time to deal with the side effects. If not I just taste a little and I'm ok.
I agree with Casey though, you learn to not crave the things you can't have. You subsitute them for other things. I eat Italian Ice instead of ice cream. Waffles or bagels instead of cereal with milk.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#96473 - 08/08/04 08:16 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Fortunately, I can tolerate some dairy if I take a lactaid pill first. Then, I can only eat a small amount. I use Lactaid milk in my oatmeal and can eat about 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt ice cream. You might try the lactaid first just to see. I love snickers bars but I can't eat the regular size one so I get the little tiny bite size and can eat one of them. Oh, how I would like to eat about 10 of them but I stick to one.

The other day I made homemade choco chip cookies for my nephew and I ate 2 of them. I paid for it later and shoulda known better!

I agree with the others that it is not worth it to be sick. When you get to the point of choosing to be sick or eat a trigger food I think you will finally be able to resist those temptations. Another thing I try to do is when I am tempted with something I try to turn my attention to something else like playing with my dog or taking a walk or anything to take my mind off of it.

Barbie

--------------------

#104437 - 09/08/04 07:57 AM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

I have a friend who used to say, "When you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, you'll try anything." I've been on the diet for about a year. At first, I would "cheat" about once a month or so. Now, I can have the food in front of me, and I just look at it and say, "No way is this worth it. I'll be sick for a week from it, for 15 minutes of pleasure." I agree with whoever said, make a list of the foods you can eat.

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1297

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review