All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
how to manage IBS diet on a college meal plan
      #95660 - 08/04/04 05:33 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I'm going into my second year of college and will be living in the dorms with no access to a kitchen so I am stuck at the mercy of the dining halls. I spent so much of last year in misery because I didn't know what I should be eating. Does anyone have any suggestions for surviving college dining halls?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how to manage IBS diet on a college meal plan new
      #95662 - 08/04/04 05:53 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I only ate in the dining hall freshman year, and I wasn't on this diet yet, but looking back I did sorta eat some like this diet.

Does yours have bagels/breads? Those are good, or some cereals, for some soluble fiber. Also I know mine would sometimes have plain pasta (with butter on it, but you could try to scrape it off some), and plain rice over with the Asian food. I don't know about meat selections, since I'm a vegetarian, but why don't you try talking to the dinig hall people at your college? Explain you have a chronic digestive disorder and you need some special meals. That may help as well. Good luck! Where do you go to school? What are you studying?

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#95681 - 08/04/04 06:34 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Meg, welcome!! My freshman year I think I survived on potatoes and bread! Not a very well balanced diet, huh?

Melissa gave you some good suggestions. I would add plain bagels that you can take back to your room, a jar of peanut butter for your room and a little tea kettle to make lots of cups of peppermint tea in your room (as long as you don't have GERD like me).

Stay away from salads. Eat soups and cooked vegetables instead. Stay away from beef and pork dishes, opt for chicken or fish. Eat small portions, like maybe half of what they serve. If they have lowfat choices, obviously go for those. If they have soy milk or tofu dishes go for those (as long as you can tolerate soy).

I'm sure other people will have lots of suggestions. Oooh, read the sticky post at the top of the list about snacks you can keep in your room.

I assume you're already taking a soluble fiber supplement? If not, START NOW but VERY slowly. What about meds? Have you been prescribed any antispasmodic? Have you tried Imodium for those iffy days?

Glad you found us, sweetie. Good luck and keep coming back here, okay?? Let us know how you're doing.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Oh... the fun of the dining halls! new
      #95717 - 08/04/04 10:31 PM
bauie25

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Iowa

It's tricky... and I know it sucks--especially when you eat with your friends-- they eat everything, and you always have to explain why you can't eat certain things-- oh, the fun!

Anyways, during the time I was in the dining halls (I'm a junior, and I was there my freshmen yr) I did not know I had IBS! I am IBS-C, I am not sure if you are C or D... but for me, I ate soup, baked potatoes, rice (which sometimes doesn't agree w/ me for some reason), rarely chicken, english muffins (MY FAV), unlike other individuals--I ate tons of salads (they agree with me), cheerios... I won't name the other things I ate (well, a few-- fat free frozen yogurt, and milk with my cereal-- DON'T DO THIS!!!).

The crazy thing about having IBS in college is staying SANE! It's different going to parties and not drinking with everyone-- and having everyone and 'their brother' ask you if you want something to drink... what ever you do, just remember that you're a lot safer if you just go and have fun without the drink. It takes me about a week to recover from a night of fun... so if you do decide to drink-- make sure it's worth it and you have an INCREDIBLE time, because chances are, you'll be asking yourself why when you are in pain!

If you have any other questions or how to deal in college-- or want to ask questions or ANYTHING! I am in college dealing with this too-- and found out the "IBS" news Nov. of 2003... it takes time and patience...

This year I get to explore another dimension of IBS and college-- living in my sorority house! AHHHH... I'm already scared... I think I'll just not eat-- hey, what a great way to lose weight...j/k!

Good luck!! Hope to hear from you in the future!

~Sarah

ps-- My cousin just graduated from the University of Pennsylvania... is that where you go?

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

Re: Oh... the fun of the dining halls! new
      #95760 - 08/05/04 08:27 AM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

For the record I alternate between C and D with no real pattern. I attend Penn State University and am majoring in Animal Sciences (I hope to attend vet school after graduation). The pressure from my friends sometimes gets to me. Most days I just want to be normal! Thanks for the advice.

Meg

#95773 - 08/05/04 09:09 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

If you can, try to go to the store and buy some food of your own. I don't know if you have a refrigerator there but if so, I would get a lot of soy products, instant chicken noodle soup (this might be better, because you can just add hot water to it, that is what I do, or you can microwave it) You can also get other foods that you know you can tolerate. If you don't have a refrigerator, if you are able to eat pizza, I would eat pizza in the dinning hall every now and then. I find that I am able to eat Wendy's grilled chicken and a baked potatoes, so maybe if the they have grilled chicken I would try that, even if it is from a fast food vendor in the dining hall. Also see if they have potatoes, or rice. I hope this helps.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#96092 - 08/06/04 12:17 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

OMG, University eating was hard for me too. *shudder* I am IBS-D and so I hoarded bread in the dorms (only not Wonder, as it has milk) to keep me full. I also had a stash of saltines, water, a glucose drink, potato flakes, and thin beef bullion. I never ate with friends. But I'd have a sprite with no ice with them at the cafeteria. It was only after college that I realized that chinese food sat best with me (if I'd known that, I would have gone out more with friends!).

It's so hard not being able to regulate your own diet. The worst is after an attack and my stomach was empty and I was so huuungry I felt like wolfing down a ton of everything (which the school meal plan was good for, btw!)

My rule is that if it has more than 5 ingredients, then something in it will make me sick. My best advice is if you can eat it, keep eating it.

Good luck to you!

~nel~

#96098 - 08/06/04 12:26 PM
Nelly

(as an aside)
About college, isn't is funny, looking back? All those questions from friends, all the missed social eating opportunities? IBS can be such a prison. The only things it's done for me is hone my hypervigilance and alienate me from friends.

I'm glad I'm at a point that I don't have to hide in my room any more, waiting for an attack. It really only gets better when you get an eating plan in your head and stick to it. I'm 33 and know the next 5 years are going to be better than any before them. But I do look back at dorm life sometimes and cringe!

~nel~

#96099 - 08/06/04 12:28 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

My rule is that if it has more than 5 ingredients, then something in it will make me sick.

Love it! I'm going to adopt that rule for myself!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#96100 - 08/06/04 12:31 PM
Nelly

LOL! That always gets weird looks from my friends when I say it. It's SO NICE to have someone 'get it.' Thanks!

~nel~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2742

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review