All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Soy Milk
      #95590 - 08/04/04 02:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Is there anything you can do about soy milk expiring in 7 days? If I open a plain soy milk for cooking I only use about 1/2c then the rest sits until I have to throw it out. Is there anything that can be done for this?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good question. new
      #95592 - 08/04/04 02:06 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I hate that. I throw mine out all the time. The only one I use all the way is chocolate because I drink it plain. You could try it in cereal, I know a lot of people do that, but I haven't tried it yet (I don't eat cereal much).
So I'm curious to see if anyone has some suggestions too. They need to sell little individual soy milks!

--------------------
~Cara~

Yes! new
      #95595 - 08/04/04 02:09 PM
Little Minnie

There should be small sized -at least of plain. I looked around to see if there was any kind of milk alternative in a small bottle or at least cheaper and there wasn't. I opened mine on Saturday for mashed potatoes and the next time I use it will be Wednesday or at least Monday and that is no good!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Maybe try freezing it? new
      #95599 - 08/04/04 02:13 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I wanted to ask this question, too, but about rice milk. If you seal it in a container, can it be frozen? Or will it separate as it thaws and get really funky?

Our local health food store sells powdered soy milk, which might be a good option for you guys, if you can find it. They actually carry a few brands - one is in a bag and incredibly cheap, the other is in a tub (like oatmeal comes in) and it's called Better Than Milk, I think. I just wish they made a rice one, since I can't have soy. I've been doing the same thing - dumping 1/2-3/4 of a container of rice milk after a week.

Re: Maybe try freezing it? new
      #95600 - 08/04/04 02:18 PM
Cara4503

I would be scared to freeze it....I don't know.
My problem is that I'm way too picky. I have chosen Silk Soy Milk and that's all I will drink/use! :P
I don't like any of the un-refrigerated kinds, and I don't like change LOL.

I have looked for individual soy milk cartons too, and can't find any. I wonder if they make those anywhere...in Silk!

Do you think it's really BAD after 7-10 days? I mean the expiration date is like a month after that! It bugs me. And then it says 'buy often' - well no sh*t! We have to because it's only good for a week! :P

--------------------
~Cara~

ROFL! new
      #95603 - 08/04/04 02:27 PM
atomic rose

Of course they say it goes bad after 7-10 days... they want us to keep buying it!! LOL

I don't know... I'm far more likely to try to freeze my rice milk in half-container increments than I am to try to drink the stuff after 2 weeks. I'm not brave. Haha.

I don't remember now if I've seen Silk in the individual containers. I just know that when I saw the price of the Rice Dream single-servings vs the big cartons, I decided I might as well keep dumping half down the drain. They were literally almost twice as expensive.

I don't think you're being picky, by the way. You like what you like! For smoothies or drinking, I will ONLY drink Rice Dream Enriched, vanilla flavor. Period. Anything else I buy is just for cooking, where it won't matter so much.

LOL! really! new
      #95605 - 08/04/04 02:30 PM
Little Minnie

Yes buy often...anyway I only buy that in plain -I like 8th continent personally. I also wonder about pushing the days. I am prone to do that kind of thing. But one time I left some orange juice in a big juice container in my fridge for awhile then one night there was no other juice so I put it to my lips and tipped it back. Anyway as it started to hit my mouth I realized something was wrong but it was too late and really rotten juice went into my mouth. It was actually moldy. Then I COULD NOT get the taste out of my mouth! I never slugged juice after that. Yet I still push dates on stuff- especially on my unexpecting husband.

--------------------

Re: ROFL! new
      #95608 - 08/04/04 02:31 PM
Cara4503

Haha - yeah we might as well give it to the drains if the individual ones are that expensive. Whenever I'm pouring it down the drain I see money splashing around...

Maybe we should just start plugging our noses and chugging it on day 10.

--------------------
~Cara~

Haha! new
      #95609 - 08/04/04 02:34 PM
Cara4503

Push dates on your unexpected husband - LOL. That's like when it's leftover night here, I always eat the thing I made most recently, and give him the older stuff. He doesn't know the difference, and his stomach is stronger. I figure if he gets sick, he'll understand what I go through every day of my life. Evil, I know... but the man can eat anything!

--------------------
~Cara~

I do the same thing! new
      #95614 - 08/04/04 02:47 PM
atomic rose

Since my boyfriend is always making it really clear that he thinks I'm nuts for being so paranoid about leftovers, I always make sure he eats the older stuff. Haha.

Moldy Juice??!! new
      #95687 - 08/04/04 07:00 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

EEEWWWWWW!!!!!!! That sounds like a real learning experience!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

individual soymilk containers new
      #95690 - 08/04/04 07:12 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I get individual Soy Silk containers sometimes. I beleive they only make them in Choclate and Very Vanilla (they are geared towards kids). The only place I can get them is at BJ's Wholesale (that I know of). They come in bulk in a package of 18. great to take to work or on the road! They don't come refrigerated though.
I don't know if you have BJ's around you, but you can try wholesale stores like Sam's Club and such and see if they have them.

--------------------
-Sheri

Is it okay to cook with vanilla? -nt- new
      #95692 - 08/04/04 07:16 PM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Yes! new
      #95696 - 08/04/04 07:34 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I know that there is at least one brand of soy milk that comes in indivdual containers since they serve it in my college dining halls. Unfortunately I don't remeber which kind it is.

Re: Is it okay to cook with vanilla? new
      #95859 - 08/05/04 01:03 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

A couple items on cooking with vanilla -- one, don't use that fake junk vanilla. Get REAL vanilla extract only. And two, if you are making something like pudding or custard, you add the vanilla at the last minute and don't COOK it. Of course, if you're baking, you have to add the vanilla before you bake!

I think... new
      #95885 - 08/05/04 02:53 PM
atomic rose

I may have found an answer for *my* question, anyway. I did a Google search, and turned up a post on some other board somewhere, and the poster said it was a-ok to freeze rice milk. I imagine it would also be a-ok to freeze partial cartons of soy milk. I would just defrost them in the fridge, to be on the safe side.

I'm gonna try it, anyway.

Meijers carries them new
      #95890 - 08/05/04 03:38 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

or at least used to- I use only the big ones lately so haven't looked but they used to have a display with some mini containers by edensoy that I used when I ate breakfast at work.. now that I eat before I leave (go in at 8:30 instead fo 5) I don't need to carry them with me.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Glad that someone is volunteering to be the guinea pig! -nt- new
      #95923 - 08/05/04 06:40 PM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

LOL! new
      #95926 - 08/05/04 06:48 PM
atomic rose

Well, I'm trying it with rice milk... that still doesn't help the rest of y'all!

guess what I found at Krogers today new
      #96148 - 08/06/04 03:56 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Edensoy makes them- single serving drink boxes of soy milk in 3 different flavors- only about 50 cents more per 3 pack then the big boxes I normally buy... they looked to be about 1/2 to 1 cup per box... definitely better then wasting an entire big one at that price... good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Atomic Rose (or anyone else), did you ever try freezing rice milk? (m) new
      #179410 - 05/16/05 03:12 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

ISOT (I Searched On This): "rice milk freeze" and "rice milk freezing", all forums, no date limit. The only applicable thread I found was this one and it ends with a real cliff hanger.

I emailed Hain-Celestial (the Rice Dream people) to ask if it was okay to freeze Rice Dream and their response was:
Quote:

We recommend not freezing the Rice Dream beverages, as this may lead to the product separating and compromising the packaging.

That sounds to me like overly-careful bureaucratic language, so I'd like to know if a real person has successfully frozen rice milk.

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (05/16/05 03:13 PM)

I find mine separates after a week.nt new
      #179460 - 05/16/05 07:15 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I haven't tried it yet, but... new
      #179464 - 05/16/05 07:24 PM
atomic rose

It seems to me that it should be fine... the reason I'm thinking this is because the health food store sells the Amazake (or however you spell them) rice-based smoothies frozen. I realize the ingredients are a little different, but to me the concept is kind of the same.

The response from Hain Celestial is pretty funny... rice milk separates ANYWAY. At least when I've bought it - I definitely have to shake it before I use it or it tastes pretty flat. How would freezing it make it any worse?

They do have a point, though - I would probably not freeze it in their packaging, I'd repackage it in something plastic. I'm pretty sure the cardboard would burst.

Thanks, Atomic Rose. -nt- new
      #179522 - 05/17/05 06:14 AM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Question for STM (m) new
      #179523 - 05/17/05 06:15 AM
Sand

Do you mean it separates after about a week in the fridge or that it separates if you freeze it for more than a week? (I may not be quite awake yet.)

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 912 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review