Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Had severe D and pain after last barium test, need another one, need advice
      #95014 - 08/01/04 10:48 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I'm getting a little stressed out about my upcoming small bowel follow through test. The last time I had a barium test it was the Upper GI only and it was at the end of April. About two and half hours after I finished the test I began having explosive diarrhea which contained barium and was sick like that for almost five days.

I'm concerned because I've heard the small bowel follow-thru can take a lot longer, and (I'm sorry if this sounds stupid), I'm afraid I'm going to end up with D while they're still trying to do the exam. It was the most awful urgent D last time, and I'm afraid I'm going to have an "accident" I dont' know what I should do other than maybe get some adult diapers or something...

I'm also concerned because I'm in the process of moving, and the "big" move (i.e. all the major furniture and everything) is four days following the test. Now, I was sick with bad pain and D (practically stuck in bed) for five days following the last test, so I don't know what I'm going to do. I can move the test and we have to move that day because it's the only day my boyfriend can get help from his family, which means his whole family is going to be here. I feel stupid being concerned about this of all things, but I'm afraid they're going to think I'm pathetic if I spend the whole day just in the bathroom or laying in bed while the rest of them are moving.

Any advice from anyone? I really can't talk to anyone about this, my boyfriend just thinks I'm being silly and says his parents won't care, but I hate feeling like people are looking at me wondering why I'm not doing more.

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Had severe D and pain after last barium test, need another one, need advice new
      #95018 - 08/01/04 11:41 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,

I'm so sorry for the anxiety and worry this upcoming test is causing you. I think it is important for you to try and work some consistent relaxation into your days preceding the test. Anxiety does play a big role in IBS so if you can try to reign that in it might help the situation.

Worry is a horrible thing. I once read a sticker that said it is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere. How true. It's really easy to tell someone to stop worrying but it's so hard to do.

I try to look at the thing I'm worrying about and ask myself if there is anything I can do about it this precise second. If the answer is yes, I do it. If the answer is no then I ask myself when I can do something about it. If the answer to that question is Tuesday then I try to say to myself that i'm not going to worry about it til Tuesday.

If it's not possible for you to change the day of the test then you may have to try and look at it that way. Have you spoken to the Dr about your concerns? Perhaps he/she could offer some advice or reassurance?

Just so you know, my Aunt recently had the same procedure and got really constipated afterwards so you may not necessarily suffer with D the way you did before.

If you aren't feeling well afterwards surely your boyfriend's family would understand your need to rest?

Wishing you luck,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Had severe D and pain after last barium test, need another one, need advice new
      #95021 - 08/01/04 11:49 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Kelly,

If you can't move the test (and I don't think you should if it will change the date to significantly later), you can ask the docs what you can do to help avoid the big D problem. I would also explain to your boyfriend's family ahead of time what you're doing and the concerns that you have. They will surely be more sympathetic if they understand that you're not being lazy!

Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#95031 - 08/02/04 04:31 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Hey Kelly,

I also had a very bad reaction to Barium after my GI scan (I'm IBS-A and had bad pain and D for ten days afterword, I did'nt know then I had IBS). Needless to say, I was petrified of the small bowel test but the amount of barium used in that test is much less than in the GI scan and I had no problems whatsoever.

It is a good idea to talk to you doctor and see what you can take after the test, just in case. Testing is important to give you an accurate diagnosis and I don't think it should be put off - your health is more important than anything and those that care for you should know this.

Hope this info helps.

Kim

#95444 - 08/03/04 08:44 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hi Kelly! I hope this isn't too little too late, I haven't been on the boards for a couple days.

I'm interested in your post as I am an xray tech for a living, and only hear from the patients while they are at the hospital, not what they experience after the test is done. Although I am surprised that you experienced D after your upper GI (UGI) series, I should not really be surprised by anything that IBS throws at us! I don't know if any of this info will help you, but here goes. The small bowel follow thru (SBFT) uses a LOT more barium (sorry!) than the UGI. The vast majority of patients find it constipating rather that the opposite, which is why I sternly admonish patients to drink extra water for the next couple days to help wash it out. I have seen the consequences of a patient getting C from the barium, it's not a place you want to go! However, if at some point during the exam you feel like it's going to explode out of the back end, I would advise you to just let one of the techs know, it's not like you are in the exam room for the entire exam, actually only for a part, the rest is spent out in the waiting room letting the barium pass thru your system. So, if you find yourself in this situation, let someone know that you "really have to go", this will likely mean that the exam will be close to being over (it's over when the barium reaches the junction between the small and large bowel, and D would mean it's THRU the large bowel!), they would likely get you back into an exam room to take a look and confirm that things are "thru". And, honest to goodness, if it happens that you "lose it" on the exam table, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. Believe you me, we've probably seen something much worse, as a lot of our patients are quite ill, believe me, WE UNDERSTAND!

I don't know if any of this will be reassuring to you, but I hope it all goes well, and that it won't interfere with the move!

Wishing you the best,
Marlo

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

Marlo! new
      #95457 - 08/03/04 10:37 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it It's interesting to hear from someone who's on the other side of things (so to speak). You're not too late, they actually pushed my test back a week because I developed a kidney infection and they thought it better to allow that to clear up first.

I figure I will advise the tech ahead of time how quickly it went through me before, so that they don't want too long to start taking the pictures. And I'm sure you guys do see a lot worse, but I still think I'd be humiliated if I "went" on the table or something.

You don't know much about the prep do you? I'm getting some conflicting information, the place I'm doing it at is insisting on a full laxative prep (the same as for a colonoscopy) complete with no fluids or anything past 10:00pm the night before. This is causing some problems because my electrolytes have been all screwy as of late and my regular doc is concerned about my having all that D and not being able to drink or get any hydration. They're trying to get me into the hospital for the prep...but if you have any advice or suggestions that would be great. I was told some hospitals don't even make you prep, so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks again for your info, I really appreciate it, and welcome to the boards!
Kelly

Prep? new
      #95679 - 08/04/04 06:28 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hey Kelly! Glad to hear that some of my rambling may help . . .

There must be a lot of variation out there in regards to prep, I have worked at four different hospitals over the course of my training, and none of them have required anything other than nothing to eat or drink after midnite the nite before. I feel badly for you that they are asking you to do the nasty laxative prep, we reserve that only for the barium enemas, but I guess that must be the call of the radiologist at the site you are visiting. I could definitely see the concern with your electrolytes . . .

A very good idea to advise the techs first. It is fairly normal to start with the pictures at only 15 minutes after you drink, but if they are warned ahead of time that it is possible that that will be all the time required for you to be "thru", that may help arrange an exam room to finish up your exam.

I apologize, I realize that it is terribly embarassing and awkward when the patient "loses it" on the exam table, I guess we just start to take it in stride after a while, and help the patient get cleaned up with as little fuss as possible, so as to reduce those feelings. Just be assured that we certainly don't think any less of the patient if it happens!

Anyhow, ramblings aside, I hope it all goes very smoothly for you, let me know how things turn out?

Later gator,
Marlo

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

#96117 - 08/06/04 01:23 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I went on the table during my upper GI. The tech was helpful and understanding, but all dignity remaining was lost. My recovery was 6 days bedrest. I have had 3 UGIs and 2 lower GIs, and the recovery from UGIs is the worst.

The "prep" of laxatives is what starts it for me. There is no stopping afterwards untili my body feels like it. Take the advise to drink plenty of water, but also take a narcotic to stop the bowel from contracting and reduct the stress of your pain. That cuts the recovery time.

Oh, and I would move the test until AFTER you move. But that's just me.

~nel~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2387 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1063

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review