All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
? is dairy ever OK?
      #94978 - 08/01/04 07:07 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

hi, i'm still getting a handle on this IBS diet (so far so good). need some advice:

what's with NO DAIRY? i've never had a problem with it before. sometimes a scrambled egg is all that appeals, and it's never come back to haunt me... the same with vanilla fat free frozen yogurt (and the plastic ice cream at mcdonalds)... ??

is it safe to let my tummy be my guide? or is this one carved in stone?

thanks -kk

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

In a word, no. (Well, kinda.) new
      #94979 - 08/01/04 07:16 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know there are people on here who insist on eating dairy anyway, and also insist they're fine because of it, but generally speaking, "no dairy" is pretty much a rule if you're following the diet to the letter. Heather explains why here (third item down). It's more than just the lactose and the fats. There are some really good soy and rice "ice creams" out there, as well as milks, cheeses, and yogurts... I know some people really are ok with dairy, but I wouldn't risk it, personally.

Eggs, incidentally, are the next item down on the list on that page. Whites are ok, yolks are too high in fat. Egg Beaters are a good substitute, if scrambling just the whites alone looks too unappealing.

Hope that helps!

Edited by atomic rose (08/01/04 08:15 PM)

No Dairy new
      #95009 - 08/01/04 08:58 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

I have been trying to get a handle on this IBS myself and have never thought that dairy was a problem; only had yogurt every day; have lots of ranch dressing (I'm a dipper), and cheese on my sandwiches. Well, last week had a severe case of gas pains and bloating and decided to drop the dairy for abit. It has definitely seemed to make a difference, which blows my mind and makes me sad, actually. There is so many things that include 'dairy' and so it will really take some getting used to. I'm going to wait a few more days and then slowly add a little dairy back in and see what happens. If it causes problems, I'm going to try some Lactaid and if I still have problems, I guess it's bye,bye to dairy.
At any rate, you're not alone in this thing. Good Luck
Janene

Re: In a word, no. (Well, kinda.) new
      #95027 - 08/02/04 02:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Just a little addition - although eggs are often grouped with dairy foods, they're not! It's milk products that are the problem. Remember that you can get the bad effects from food quite a long time later and it can just be a cumulative thing stopping you from getting any better. Just because one portion of dairy doesn't give you an attack, doesn't mean it's okay.

If you truly are symptom free..... new
      #95032 - 08/02/04 04:54 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

As in -- you are having no attacks --- no pain, bloating, gas, constipation, D. etc..... then maybe the dairy isn't a problem for you. I don't think I have met anyone with IBS that can do dairy with no problem before though. Usually -- they think they can do it -- but are still having some problems... they eliminate the dairy and boy do their symptoms clear up!

Re: ? is dairy ever OK? new
      #95034 - 08/02/04 05:50 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I struggled with this too. Both of my parents grew up on dairy farms and creamy things are my absolute favorite. Yet the diet did not make me feel better until I stopped cheating. The good news is that when I stabilized little tiny bits of this or that every so often do not cause problems. Those bits for me still need to be lower in fat though. But maybe your goal could be to someday be good enough to have your absolute favorite things as a treat in small amounts- and you will really appreciate them more! Or you might say that having a tiny bit of your favorite thing is worth the stomach upset that follows and that of course is your prerogative, isn't it?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Nope new
      #95039 - 08/02/04 06:12 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

When I was first told by a naturopath that dairy was my killer I was so shocked. I felt like it was safe. But I was obidient and took it out for 3 months. I then decided to try a yogurt. Within two spoonfuls I was ready to retch...an extreme reaction....I haven't gone back. I also have never met anyone with any kind of tummy problem that can take dairy. We all know what its like and are here to support you!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Other than SLIM-FAST I don't do dairy at all new
      #95048 - 08/02/04 07:42 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I have turned loose of ALL dairy with the exception of my Cappuccino Slim Fast. The Slim-Fast is made with non-fat milk. Cheese...ice cream...2% milk...any of that stuff is long gone. I get so nauseated when I "cheat" a little.

#95060 - 08/02/04 08:09 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I can tolerate a small amount of dairy if I take a lactaid pill first. I also use lactaid milk in my oatmeal and eat Hagan Dazs Frozen Vanilla Yogurt. It seems like IBS is a little different in everyone. I think if you can tolerate it and have had no side effects then use it in small amounts. But.....as soon as you notice something wrong stop it immediately because that's probably the culprit.

Barbie

--------------------

#95090 - 08/02/04 09:59 AM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

thanks everyone for your feedback!

actually i was waiting for someone to give me permission to cheat

once my tum's stable for a few more days i'll sneak in a lick or two of FF yogurt. since i haven't had dairy for 2+ weeks it will (hopefully) be an easily-identified trigger should symptoms occur...

-kk

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3686 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review