All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rough times
      #94816 - 07/31/04 01:17 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm new to the boards, and am looking for support.

I've struggled with IBS-D for about 8 years, following a nasty bout of some gastrointestinal virus. Never a problem with constipation. I had a bout of diverticulitis at one point and an operation for that. I've had a barium enema and sigmoidoscopy, which showed only a few diverticuli.

I was prescribed Elavyl and Levsin for the IBS. The Elavyl eventually caused tachycardia, so I was weaned off it. The Levsin worked, along with Imodium during the worst bouts. I read Heather's book, and found that her recommendation for soluble fiber worked best for me. But when the IBS flared up each time, I'd read conflicting information about what to eat, and try high fiber foods. These really do a number on my gut. Oh, I've also taken Metamucil every day, but too much of it bothers my colon.

I was laid off from work and looking for a job for a year-and-a-half. During that time I had to move from my home of 26 years when the unemployment money ran out, and live with my father and stepmother. Unfortunately, my stepmother and I butt heads and I was asked to leave. Surprisingly, with all this stress, my IBS was fairly calm.

Then I started working again, in a low-pay but low-stress job, forty hours a week (which I've never worked before). I moved into a temporary space in a commune, and then finally into a very tiny cottage that I rent. My IBS went crazy during this time. I went to the doc, and she sent me to psychiatry (I also suffer from anxiety). I still felt like I wasn't getting the help I needed to get a handle on this problem. I was drained from the constant diarrhea and I was missing time from work. I started taking Imodium three or four days a week, which helped.

I was sticking to plain bagels instead of whole wheat bread. Occasional salads. A week ago I tried adding whole grain sprouted bread to my diet (I also eat a lot of soy because I'm vegetarian). Three nights ago I had the worst stomach pains ever. I felt like I had to go (diarrhea) but only a little came out. I couldn't sleep all night because of the pain, and feared that I had a blockage.

I went to the doc who said it was probably the IBS. She prescribed Bentyl and told me to go on a liquid diet, then to bland foods. My stomach is still rumbling a lot, altho the Bentyl seemed to calm down the pain. I took an Imodium this morning to ease the rumbling and it's working so far.

I'm so frustrated living like this. The IBS causes me much anxiety, which aggravates my colon. Arrgh! Any support, advice on meds, comfort would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rough times new
      #94821 - 07/31/04 01:44 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

hi and welcome! i'm new here too and this site has been such a godsend... esp. for times like this. i'm sorry to hear that you have been having such a rough time... but you've found the best IBS resource on the planet, and hopefully you will gain the insight/info you need to give yourself a morale boost (at the very least).

it's always a relief when test results don't find anything incurable, but in the meantime how to live? (ah the big question) i can't give you any specific info on how to manage your own symptoms, except that metamucil wafers (the cookies, not powder or pills) is the ONLY thing that seems to keep my tummy at bay when things are haywire. also, there's a lo-fat version of rice krispie treats on this website that are a good source of comfort food when nothing else seems to stay down... and if you can exercise, do it! (work off the krispie treats LOL) try & work up a bit of a sweat or at least get to the stage of rythmic breathing. that will help release endorphins that will help your body heal and i swear, it helps the 'head' too. hang in there & good luck!
-kk

Welcome, Digby new
      #94824 - 07/31/04 02:04 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sounds like you are having a rough time. This board is great for IBS advice and sympathy.

I take Librax to relax my anxiety and relax my stomach. It seems to be helping me. Phazyme helps with the gas and Pepto with the nausea and Immodium is a lifesaver.

I don't think the whole grain sprouted bread was a good idea. That could have been what triggered your symptoms.

Glad the Bentyl & Immodium are helping. My suggestion would be to stay on the safe diet for a while until you get more stable and continue the meds if they are helping.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help but hope you feel better soon.

Barbie

--------------------

#94829 - 07/31/04 02:28 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi and wlecome to the boards!!

Sounds like you're consuming alot of insoluble fiber. Not a good idea to start out with. I'm not sure if you've already seen this but if you click on this link web page I think it will explain a lot to you. What you want to eat more than anything, especially in the beginning, is soluble fiber. Found in things like potatoes, rice and pasta as well as other things. Stick to the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet web page for a few days, and drink a lot of tea. Chamomile is one of my favorites, but peppermint and fennel are also good.

Hope this helped a bit. Don't hesitate to ask us questions, that's what we're here for.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by BeckyT (07/31/04 02:29 PM)

Welcome new
      #94833 - 07/31/04 02:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

and sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. Please read the page here about what to eat when you can't have anything else. I think you should try that for a few days. Then get on the diet and stick to it really precisely and hopefully you will do better. There is a lot of stuff you can learn here on the forum. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#94852 - 07/31/04 04:52 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Welcome Digby!

So sorry you are having a rough time of it. I agree with the others, it may be helpful to start with "what to eat when you can't eat anything" for a few days and then follow Heather's Diet. Heather's two books have been very helpful to me - they can be ordered right on this web-site. Following Heather's diet and this web-site has helped me more than anything - you are definetly in the right place!

If you like tea, try some peppermint tea, it soothes the tummy like nothing else!

Hope you feel better soon - keep us posted.

Kim

Digby.. new
      #94853 - 07/31/04 06:00 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I can feel your frustration and your worries will always fall on very sympathetic ears here as I think we've all felt completely frustrated with this curve ball we call IBS that has been thrown at us.

I agree with what the others have recommended especially about sticking to soluble fibre for a while. Once you are stable you can then look at carefully incorporating insoluble fibre foods.

The only other thing I wanted to suggest that might help along with diet and SF supps is relaxation and exercise. Particularly since you mentioned anxiety. I have a fair amount of experience with anxiety also and find if I work really hard at my relaxation it really helps the anxiety which in turn helps the IBS.

When you are caught in a cycle of attacks it can seem fruitless to try and exercise or relax but they key is to start small. Try a 5 minute walk around the block after eating or even some laps around your house. Exercise helps digestion but also has the added benefit of helping the mind which helps with anxiety. As things get calmer you can increase it.

As for relaxtion, I would suggest getting some relaxtion music or a meditation CD and practise quietening the mind for a period of time each and every day. This doesn't sound very significant but believe me it is.

Also, the hypnotherapy CDs are great for lessening anxiety too. Have a look on the hypno board to read about others stories or ask questions.

Yoga is also great for relaxation and also helping to ease symptoms. Have a look on the yoga board if you are interested.

I hope this helps - let us know how you're getting on.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#94861 - 07/31/04 07:40 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

digby wellcome to the board. we are all hear to help you. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: Welcome, Digby new
      #94864 - 07/31/04 08:03 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Thanks to all of you who responded (and so quickly!) to my post. It's very comforting to hear from others who are suffering from IBS. I don't know anyone personally who has it, so I feel very alone with this.

I'm on the second day of a bland diet, but still having pain (don't know if it's gas or colon spasms.) The imodium stopped all the rumbling. I took a Bentyl to see if that helps with the pain.

Decided to dump the Metamucil (insoluble fiber) for Guar Gum (a soluble fiber) that I bought at the health food store. I'll let you know how that works. Can Heather's Acacia formula be purchased in stores?

Usually stress triggers my episodes. This one, however, was the worst episode, and I wasn't overly stressed beforehand, so it may have been the whole grain bread I was starting to eat. I've followed Heather's diet before and found it helpful, but then something will set off my IBS and I tend to think it was from what I was eating, and so I switch to high fiber and that usually gets me in trouble. I think I've read every book written about IBS (including Heather's) and there's so much conflicting advice! Most of them (including my doctor) recommends a high fiber diet. Yikes!

Well, thanks again for responding. I don't want to keep living with this pain, as I'm sure you can all relate to.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3984 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1491

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review