Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Advice for IV problems
      #94098 - 07/28/04 10:55 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

It's me and my darn needle phobia again. Just a brief question for anyone who's ever found that nurses have had trouble starting IVs in their hands. I've only ever had to have an IV like that twice, and both times it's been an absolute nightmare. I was at emerg again today and while they did finally get one started, both of my hands are severely bruised from all the attempts

And since I'm faced with the possiblity of going back in to be on IV feeding, any advice for how to make the process easier would be greatly appreciated. The only things they tried were wrapping my hand up in hot blankets to see if the vein would stick out more.

Thanks guys,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice for IV problems new
      #94102 - 07/28/04 11:28 PM
daisy2

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Washington

Hi Kelly,

When I had my daughter the nurse put an IV in wrong on me too. My whole hand swelled up and I was black and blue also. I would suggest that you have them try a smaller needle. I know this has worked for older people too when they can't find a vein. Try to not stress about it. I know it's easy said then done. I wish you well.

Hope this helps.

#94103 - 07/29/04 01:03 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I'm sorry I have no advice about IVs but I just wanted to wish you good luck....I think you are really brave.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#94115 - 07/29/04 06:03 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I have the same exact problem. I've had to get so many blood tests lately, and I have never had someone get the vein on the first or second try. One time in the hospital when they were trying to get an IV in, they tried 8 times! In my hands, my wrists, and my forearms. I was in tears. They went through 2 nurses before the last one got it.

I always say - 'If you have to take blood, please send your BEST person, I have never had a nurse get it on the first try. I have really rolly veins'. Make sure you tell them. Then - I pump my hands - like squeeze them and release, over and over. And then I squeeze them for good when they are poking me. It makes it hurt a little worse, but it's the only way they get it. I'm sorry! I hate that.
Good luck.
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#94290 - 07/29/04 02:52 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Not much advice, sweetie. When I was hospitalized for 6 weeks before my daughter was born, I had to have one in practically ALL the time. It's amazing what you can get used to. Well maybe not used to, but I managed fairly well.
I do remember them poking around on this one vein INSISTING that it had to go there and it was a good one. Guess what? Not. They finally after 1/2 hour of poking chose another vein.
The upside to all this? Besides having my blood drawn every 3 days?
I no longer have a needle phobia. I got poked so many times within a short 6 weeks that I no longer worry about it. Before, I was at the "lie me down or I'll pass out" point and now I just stick out my arm. With any luck, you'll get over your needle phobia too. Unfortunately, the road is rough, but you'll get through it.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#94357 - 07/29/04 07:16 PM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

Kelly,
If you are going to require a long term IV, like I had, will they placing a PICC line? Mine went in my upper arm. I had only occaisionally had an IV in the past, and not for more than a day, like for child birth, so I never knew how irritating they are for me! All three IV's in my hands infiltrated and it was SUCH a pain as well as painful, then they were trying all over the place so I now know what a pin cushion feels like too! The PICC line was NOT painful after the initial day. My arm really ached badly the first night and day ( I took ES tylenol, and that worked fine), but after that, I got used to it and it was SO much better than an annoying IV in my hand that killed with every movement. I had it for 3 weeks. I think they last about 2 months. I think this is the way to go for you. Otherwise they'll be changing it every 2 days!
If you do get a PICC, the people who place them are expert, they just don't mess up! The home health nurse that came to my house did say that it was NOT neccesary how they sutured the PICC in my arm, so you may ask if they try to do that to you. The HH RN said that suturing *should* be reserved for the "wild" kind of person! (she suggested a the Biker type who might get in a bar brawl, LOL) I think the sutures made the most pain anyway, and I have a scar from them..
Missyb

Re: Advice for IV problems (PICC) new
      #94612 - 07/30/04 02:19 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Thanks for posting that, Missyb. Kelly, I was going to bring this up earlier and so I'm glad she did. I had SEVERAL IV lines in the hospital in February, and I've never had trouble with them before. I've got really friendly veins. But when I had to go down for the second emergency surgery, they ran a PICC line. It goes in your upper arm above the elbow, and the line runs up into your vein nearly to your heart. It is maybe a LITTLE uncomfortable, but it ain't bad. They didn't suture mine, just put a bunch of little tape strips all over it (quite the interesting procedure, I'll tell ya). By the time I left the hospital I was really ready to get rid of that thing, but that was because I had so much stuff attached all over me that my goal was to shuck one of them every day till they were ALL gone!

Having that PICC line in there was pretty cool, though, because it meant an end to the endless sticking with needles all hours of the day and night. They can run IV stuff into it, and pull blood samples out of it, both, with one installation, so it's pretty slick. Ask about it!

#94654 - 07/30/04 06:22 PM
Vicam

Thanks for your info you guys. I know all about PICC lines, when my Mom had pancreatic cancer she needed one. Thing is, she got a blockage in hers and that's actually kinda what killed her (I mean, technically it was the cancer but she had been doing ok, and the blockage caused a bad infection which did her in). So obviously I'm scared to death of the things. Of course I'm smart enough to realize that I'm in a completely different situation then her, but still, it's upsetting to me. We'll see how things go.
Kelly

#94663 - 07/30/04 06:32 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Yeah, my MIL had a PICC line when she was in the hospital for pancreatic cancer, too. AND it was an infection that killed her, too, though hers was from draining abdominal fluid. What an unfortunate thing to have in common.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#94666 - 07/30/04 06:34 PM
Vicam

Hey Christine,

I'm so sorry...it's awful isn't it? I was young when she got sick and didn't fully understand the severity of the disease, it wasn't until I got a bit older and did some research that I realized how bad it was and that she probably never really stood a chance. If you don't mind me asking, how old was your MIL?

Kelly

#94671 - 07/30/04 06:40 PM
ChristineM

Hi, Kelly:

My MIL was 54 when she died.

It was the hardest thing to watch that I have ever been through, so I hope you were *really* young at the time and therefore kind of protected from it.

--------------------
Christine

#94695 - 07/30/04 07:19 PM
Vicam

Hey Christine,

No, not young enough, just naive. I was 19, my younger sister was 14 and my mom was 48. We were kinda lucky in a way, because she got this really rare, gram negative/gram positive infection, so basically it practically comatized her right away, so at the very least she didn't suffer...which made it easier for my sister and I. But it sure is a nasty cancer, quite the reality check for me.

Kelly

Ugh new
      #94706 - 07/30/04 10:19 PM
ChristineM

You've sure had a lot to handle in the past few years, haven't you? I hope those doctors get the medical stuff figured out very soon, because you deserve some healthy, happy, low-key years after all this!

I don't know how well you've coped with all this, but just know that it's totally okay to need help. Losing your mom is devastating, and now you've had so many health problems of your own to deal with. Don't be afraid to ask for help, to get therapy, or do whatever else helps (and is legal ).

My heart goes out to you!

--------------------
Christine

#94717 - 07/31/04 12:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Pump your hands up LOTS and then tap where the needle wants to with the back of your hand! Painful but it works. I had a great doc do this to me when I was in hospital before Christmas - he was South African and he said they learn all the tricks because it can be so hard to see veins in black people.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1818 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2635

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review