All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dumb question about C
      #94025 - 07/28/04 05:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ok... so I had an attack of D on... (looks back through food journal) the 18th. A week and a half ago. As of Monday, I still hadn't had another BM, so I used a suppository. I did go, but only a small amount, and I haven't gone again since. The weird part is that I really don't feel like I even *have* to go. In the past, if I've gotten C, I've definitely felt pain, or at least like my insides were full of cement.

Is it possible that I just really don't have to go, because I haven't been eating a lot? I mean, I'm eating insolubles every day (with solubles), drinking plenty of water, walking every day, and I'm still taking my SFS, but as I've mentioned in the past, I've had problems with eating and am definitely NOT up to eating a normal amount of calories in a day. Could it be that the works have really just slowed down THAT much because I'm not putting enough into 'em? I can't figure out what the heck else I'm doing wrong.

At some point, does the SFS ever act like a laxative? It's so weird to me that a lot of these are marketed as laxatives... they're not doing squat for it in my case.

Edited by atomic rose (07/28/04 05:39 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dumb question about C new
      #94026 - 07/28/04 05:34 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hey Casey,

I don't usually have C so I won't be too much help. I do think that maybe the fact that you have been eating so little might have something to do with it. The good thing is that you are not feeling painful. YAY for no "D"....that's a good thing.

Have you considered taking probiotics. I have heard people say they help make you regular. Also, do you exercise? Even a walk sometimes gets things moving.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Barbie

--------------------

#94027 - 07/28/04 05:38 PM
atomic rose

Hehe... you're always helpful, Barbie. At the very least, you made me remember that I've also been walking every day, so I should edit my original post to say that!

The awful thing is that I did buy a probiotic, but I've been afraid to take it. I will probably give it a try tomorrow, after my morning appointment.

No D is good. No pain is good, too. Really, I almost don't mind being C. I just know it isn't healthy.

Thanks!

This is where I come in... new
      #94029 - 07/28/04 05:54 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Well, at first when I became C, I mean REALLY C (severe) I had terrible, aweful pains. Now that I am, for the most part regular, I don't always feel like I have to go. Even when I was C, I didn't always feel the "urge". It just was in there, if you know what I mean. How long has it been since you've had normal BM's? For some people, it's normal for them to go only every other day, or every few days.
I have to go now...we're starting to get a pretty good storm, and I have to shut the computer down. I'll finish when I'm back on. Sorry!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#94031 - 07/28/04 05:58 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Casey...

I am frequently C and I rarely feel uncomfortable or like I need to go or anything. Maybe it's because it's been like this for so long? Wish I could be more help.

Hmm... new
      #94034 - 07/28/04 06:06 PM
atomic rose

Have I *ever* had normal BMs? Heh. Well, even back before the problems really started (although my problem was originally D and nothing but D!), I sometimes went almost a week without a BM. "Normal" for me, as far as I can remember, is once every 3 days or so.

I definitely don't care if I *ever* go every single day... I guess it kind of just worries me that if I hadn't used the suppository on Monday, I probably still wouldn't have gone at all. And at this point, that would have been... what, 10 days? Things just don't seem to be contracting and moving on their own, if ya know what I mean.

I eagerly await the rest of your thoughts, LOL! (And I'm jealous that it's storming there... I love storms!)

continuing on... new
      #94037 - 07/28/04 06:42 PM
RachelT

Sorry I had to leave so abruptly. We lost our last modem due to a storm, and didn't want to do a repeat.

So anyway...
You have a good point regarding the suppository, but what I was getting at is maybe you're finally getting closer to being regular again. I know, I know, hard to imagine, but give it a little time. You haven't been eating that much lately, if I recall correctly, you only poop what you consume. I'm the queen at not going. I don't think I have EVER emptied fully, ever! And probably never will, that's just how my body operates. Do you feel like you've got stuff in there, or is it just blank feeling. I mean, try this...lie down flat on your back. Feel around gently with your fingers. Don't push hard, just enough to feel around. Does it feel hard or soft? One thing you can do, and this is coming from my chiropractor, is help it move along with self massage. Lie flat and in a clockwise direction push it to move it. NOT HARD!!! Just hard enough to help it along. Start at your lower right side and gently push up and around following your colon. Sometimes it really helps me. I end up going within 10 minutes or so, and sometimes not.

I hope I've been helpful. If you ever have any other questions regarding the C, just ask. You can even email me if you want. (my address is in my profile.) Good luck!

PS. Eric's sausage and pepperoni pizza smells sooooooo good. UGH! I'm being good though, got myself some pasta with salt and pepper and soy parmesan, with some french bread of course!.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by BeckyT (07/28/04 07:07 PM)

Re: continuing on... new
      #94046 - 07/28/04 07:04 PM
atomic rose

I totally hear you on the modem/storm thing. Been there, done that, fried the modem.

I just laid down on the floor (the cats looked at me like I was bonkers, btw) and poked around. I feel... lumpy. Ok, I don't feel full, but I don't feel empty, either... not really hard, but definitely not soft, either. I will try the massage thing; that seems like a pretty good idea.

Thank you SO much for not only the suggestions, but the encouragement. (Regular? I might faint!!) I may take you up on the email offer; sometimes I just have the most random questions, haha.

Dinner tonight, for me, was rotini pasta and cooked spinach, mixed together, with a spray of butter-flavor cooking spray, salt, pepper, and a pinch of basil. The kooky thing is that it was actually pretty tasty. But speaking of sausage, have you ever tried the Morningstar Farms sausages? I don't remember now if they make an italian sausage, but I even used to take the breakfast sausage, cut it up, and put it in pasta sauce or on pizza, with a bit of fennel seed. I actually liked it better than sausage made with meat!

Casey!!!! Did you catch the change on my post??? new
      #94048 - 07/28/04 07:10 PM
RachelT

I accidentally put counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. It's correct now. Counter-clockwise is the wrong direction. You'd be pushing it back in! Please let me know if you got this or not!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by BeckyT (07/28/04 07:13 PM)

Casey new
      #94050 - 07/28/04 07:12 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

For me its much the same as Rachel and Jenny.
I do get pretty uncomfortable and crampy though but after a while I don't even feel like I even have to go like Rachel said, but its still there and it hurts. bah.
Also, as for the suppository, it depends what kind it is as in stimulant or not, because that will make a difference.
Also, they only work in the lower colon so if you're really backed up its probably not going to do a lot of good. That's what its like for me anyway. HOPE we all get some relief SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. hehe.
*Caryn*

I got it! new
      #94053 - 07/28/04 07:20 PM
atomic rose

Although I'm such an airhead, I'll probably still go in the wrong direction... I always confuse clockwise and counter-clockwise. So if I start on my lower right, I'd be "pushing" up towards my navel, over to the left, and down again, correct?

Re: I got it! new
      #94058 - 07/28/04 07:24 PM
RachelT

Yes. Geez, I got so worried that you weren't gonna see my correction, that I posted a new one. UGH!!

PS. I don't think you're an airhead.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Thanks! new
      #94070 - 07/28/04 07:46 PM
atomic rose

I'm over here giggling, because you're worried that I'm going to do something in the wrong direction, when meanwhile, I'm still sitting on my a$$ in front of the computer, not doing anything at all. Hah!

But seriously, thank you for all the help! I'm going to try that tonight.

Oh Dear! new
      #94072 - 07/28/04 07:51 PM
RachelT

I keep laughing out loud every time I read yours and Caryn's posts, Eric keeps yelling up from downstairs..."What's so funny?". Hee Hee.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#94365 - 07/29/04 07:47 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Hi Rose,
I used to be a very bad C. I would go for days with no urge what so ever. I went to the GI and he said that it is normal not to go for three or four day as well as, not have the urge, I am assuming that anything over four days is not normal from what he told me. I NEVER had the urge, I would go slightly on the forth day and then not go for another four days or so. But the bloating was unbearable for me. I don't know if you are taking Pro biotics Acidophilus, but that is what helped me. It made me able to go daily and not be bloated any more. I take 1,000 mg of PB 8 Pro biotic Acidophilus. Maybe this will help you.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Thanks, Sweetd! new
      #94367 - 07/29/04 07:54 PM
atomic rose

Thanks for the advice! I'm embarassed to admit that I have a bottle of acidophilus/FOS sitting in my refrigerator; I bought it a few days ago and I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. (Isn't it awful, how we get so afraid to try new things?) I will definitely give it a try, though, thank you. When do you take yours? With food?

Thankfully, I get no bloating and very little gas, even, which is why I tend to not complain when I'm C - I feel SO much better than when I'm D, I just have no pain at all. But I know it can't be healthy to have stuff sitting in there for a week.

Re: Thanks, Sweetd! new
      #94372 - 07/29/04 08:04 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Hi Rose. I take mine right after breakfast. I don't know what I would do without it. I really has made me better. I know how you feel I am a skeptic myself. There are so many prescriptions my dr. has given me that I have never filled, because I was afraid of the side effects, which I usually wind up getting them all. I noticed the difference in two weeks. If you don't see a difference in a month I would try the PB 8, the nutritionist at the health food store recommend it to me. I hope the Acidophilus helps for you! I'm sure it will.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6865 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review