All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
you've probably heard this before
      #93968 - 07/28/04 03:10 PM
merangue

Reged: 07/28/04
Loc: chilliwack, b.c

Yeah, lame title, and I'm not too sure this is going to be all that well received. In all the forums I frequent, 'hello' posts are not generally looked upon as a good thing. But, seeing as how I may have a lot to say, I figured I'd start out with this. In advance, I'd like to apologize for my typing. It's not what I'd like it to be, and I may occasionally slip into long sentences or paragraphs with no capitalization. I also apologize for the rambling, and the length.

My mother-in-law recently brought home the 'Eating for IBS' book, and I've started reading it. Of course the first thing I notice is the trigger foods, and it makes me sort of sad.

But let me start from the begining.

Ever since I was young, I've had doctors poring over me, trying to figure out what makes me so sick. At first it was just to figure out why I hapenned to contract every little virulent strain of anything that was going around. Eventually, we got rid of my cats, and that helped. (I know, I know, nothing to do with IBS, but it leads up to why i don't like doctors.) The process of discovering my severe allergy to cats left me with a compromised immune system, and a fear of needles. Four spinal taps in two years and a plethora of blood work will do that to a person.

I've always loved milk, be it in cheese, ice cream, sauce, or chocolate milk form. I was an avid dairy consumer, as is my sister. My mother has been lactose intolerant most of her life. I began exhibiting sensitivity to dairy aroudn the age of ten, I guess. My mother started cutting dairy out of the familly's diet as quick as possible, as it seemed ot make me quite ill, beyond the usual bloating and nausea that she experienced. Sometime around then, I was diagnosed with IBS.

It's always been just an acronym to me, words strung together that mean virtually nothing except embarassment to me. I don't like to talk about it, not even to my doctors. All my life, my reactions to most foods have been that i feel 'sick'. That is how my family has always said it. "Do you feel sick?" "Are you going to be sick?" "Don't eat that, it'll make you feel sick." Even now, when I feel the familiar roiling in my guts, and break outin a cold sweat, I tell my husband "I feel sick." I've told him the diagnosis, as he is always quite worried about me, but he has only recently asked me what it means.

My 'feeling sick' started simply enough, as I said, with a sensitivity to dairy. So dairy was cut out except on special occasions, and I continued with renewed confidence and comfort. Soon, I began to feel ill after eating apples. Eventually, though apples were my favourite fruit, i had to reduce my consumption of them to maybe one or two a week, and then down to what it is now, which is virtually no apples at all.

Soon I began showing sensitivity to peas and corn. eventually i couldn't eat either vegetable, and though I love corn, I was once again forced to remove something from my regular diet.

It went on and on like this, developing sensitivities to certain foods, until eventually I started just avoiding food entirely. It's not healthy, but I go for a day or two without eating more than a sleeve of crackers. If I know I'm not going to be leaving the house for the rest of the day, I might treat myself, or cook a large supper for myself and my husband. I no longer eat popcorn at theaters. I no longer eat at McDonalds, I can no longer eat chinese food unless I plan on staying in for the next couple of days, and though I work at a Pizza Hut, I cannot even have my employee meal on my break, because less than half an hour later, if the temperature in the room fluctuates by even one degree, I am fighting nausea and cramps on my way to the bathroom.

The list of food I cannot eat comfortably far exceeds the list of foods I can, and includes meat (mostly red, though occasionally fish, pork, and chicken also cause adverse reactions), almost all fruit (except, on good days, grapes, and kiwis), vegetables (especially corn or anything green), salads, dairy, and anything sugary.

I guess I'm lucky in that I've never had a problem with getting to the bathroom on time, even though I am very...socially phobic, I guess one would label it, easily embarassed, and refuse adamantly to use public bathrooms, including the ones in the schools I attended.

I've recently had a laparoscopy, which ruled out anything ovarian/uterin, which was nice ocnsidering my familly's history of cancers, and am now waiting for a call from a local gastroenterolgist reguarding appointments for other tests. I'm also supposed to be going for a Celiac blood test. I'm severly anemic, and the iron supplements I take daily don't seem to have any effect on that whatsoever.

I just turned 20 this past June. I'm sure you know what I'm going through. It's frightening, but it's nice to know there are so many people who can help, and who understand the pain, frustration, and embarassment that go arm-in-arm with IBS.

I guess, if I have any questions, they would be about how you deal with it, how it has affected you. Is it really as bad as it seems? Stupid question, but i'm begining to lose hope. Today is the best I've felt in two weeks. The extreme heat some days leaves me bathroom-ridden, and in 40 degree weather, I can often be seen sporting a sweater, to guard against sudden stomach-churning chills.

If I modified my diet, would it help with the sensitivities to what seems to be everything? Or would it be a futile attempt once again? Any input would be welcome at this point, and I'm still going through the book, of course.

Sorry this was so long ^__^;

--------------------
Falling from heaven isn't nearly as painful as surviving the fall.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi and welcome! new
      #93978 - 07/28/04 03:46 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Nah, we don't frown on "hello" posts here. Welcome! Sorry to hear you're feeling so awful, but glad you found us just the same.

I found myself going "uh-huh!" through a lot of your introduction. I've had an increasing number of food sensitivities popping up too. The list of foods I can *always* safely eat is alarmingly small. (Pasta, crackers, chicken, bread, peas, carrots, broth, Honeycomb cereal... that's about it.) I've done the avoiding-food and eat-nothing-but-crackers things too, for way too long, and I'm actually working really hard to get past that and eat balanced meals again. But anyway, this isn't about me... just wanted you to know you're far from alone.

As for your questions... I spend a lot of time convincing myself that it's NOT as bad as it seems, and that there IS hope. There are a lot of people here on these boards who have either stabilized completely (and got their lives back!) or who are in the process, seeing great improvements, feeling a lot better, and on their way to stabilizing. I think the diet works. I've been on it myself for a little while, and I've definitely seen some improvement, although I still have a long way to go... it takes time, for sure. But you WILL feel better!

Glad to hear you're seeing doctors and having the necessary tests... good luck with all of those!

Anyway, welcome again, and if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask!

Welcome new
      #93979 - 07/28/04 03:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome Merangue and no, don't worry, introductions are fine here. Everyone is very nice and concerned. Personally I have benefitted greatly by Heather's diet. But it is of course important to rule other problems out before reaching the final conclusion of IBS, otherwise the diet might not work. Following it strictly is the way to go and really the benefits far outway the irritation of what you cannot eat. But once you are stable you can have a little of your absolute favorites and you will appreciate them much more. Remember too that emotions are a big factor. I also hated using public bathrooms and had crippling shyness. One time I stayed at a friend's house after being at school all day then I went to school the next day and in the end I had not gone to the bathroom since the time I left home (I mean #1!) So I think all that makes a person anxious and stressed and leads to major problems digestive wise. I also have problems with heat and nothing changes that. But I hope your life will improve dramatically when you find out more and start the diet. I hope your anemia too improves and all around GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Welcome, Merangue new
      #93986 - 07/28/04 04:06 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

You have come to the right place for help and support. Just to have someone understand how you feel and have sympathy for you is a big help.

I think we have all felt the way you do. I have a lot of food sensitivities, too. I have learned through trial & error and reading all food labels how to muddle through and find some things that I can eat. Keeping a food diary is a good idea.

I have always felt like any day that I feel good is a great day and if it means not eating a lot of certain foods then I will do that in order to feel good.

I hope you find lots of good advice on this site that will help you through this.

Barbie

--------------------

Hi there! new
      #94030 - 07/28/04 05:57 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hello,

It's totally ok to say hello here, in fact we encourage it. It is also ok to complain, to cry, and to ask for help. With a disease named "Irritable Bowel Sydrome" and so much discussion of poop, this is practically the only not embarrassing place to discuss it sometimes.

I also have had periods of my life where I avoided food entirely and ate only some rice at night time. I also have had lots of food sensitivities develop over time. It would be nice if safe foods didn't decide to just start being not safe some day wouldn't it?

I agree with what everyone else had to say... get tested for various things to make sure IBS is what you have. Then, perhaps it's a matter of doing the "breaking the cycle" process Heather has outlined and then maybe you can start safely adding foods back in.

It also sounds like you're under a lot of stress and very unhappy with your food stuff (not that I blame you). For that you might look at the hypnotherapy board. One of the things that has helped me was talking to a therapist who taught me relaxation exercises.

Oh, and I also relate to the sweater/cold thing. Being in the cold used to cause me the WORST stomach spasms... one reason I'm glad I moved to Texas!

I hope you and your doctors figure something out, and if people can help you around here they will do there best!

Welcome Merangue new
      #94077 - 07/28/04 08:50 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi Merangue,

When I found this group, I also had limitless food intolerances, as well as being diagnosed with celiac disease. What was the greatest help to me in those days (about 2 year's ago) was finding a wonderful nutritionist who, at first, put me on an elimination diet. As well, she worked with vitamins and supplements and helped get me healthy. Not a short term project!

When I first went to see Peggy, I was like you and some days didn't eat or would eat and have D 12 - 15 times a day - including during the night. I have gradually got better, and could include more and more foods - of course following Heather's program of ensuring I ate soluable fibre with every meal. I find it helps to eat the potato or rice, etc, first.

I've had great progress with the diet and exercise - something I had given up and believed would never be able to do again, in the dim, dark days.

The turning point for me was hypnotherapy. Have a look at the hypno board. I wish I hadn't held out for so long before trying it.

Any way, good luck. Everyone here is very friendly and supportive.

Regards,
Bev

Re: you've probably heard this before new
      #94094 - 07/28/04 10:37 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi,

I just want to add my welcome to everyone else's. It's very harsh to be so young with so much on your plate, but you are not alone. Kelly, Caryn, and Jessica are just a few of our young ladies who are working to get stable.

I don't really have anything to add, except maybe to start slowly adding a soluble fiber supplement if you haven't done so already. I think they're a big part of the progress I have made.

Again, welcome, and fire away with your questions!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Welcome to the Boards! new
      #94097 - 07/28/04 10:53 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I just wanted to say welcome and that I can totally sympathize with you, I'm only 22 and having a really rough go of it right now and sometimes it's just so much to handle, but believe me, this forum is awesome and the people here are so wonderful and I think you'll find it very beneficial.

You said you were diagnosed with IBS...did you have a lot of tests done to rule out other disorders? Have you had a colonoscopy, upper and lower GI series or anything like that? You really should have those tests done along with the Celiac test to make sure it's nothing more serious.

I feel you on the food issue, I go days where I can't eat at all, in fact I'm on percocets right now just so I can get tiny amounts of food in me, and may be being put in the hospital soon because I'm just not getting enough. Try and eat what you can, and stick to your safe foods as much as possible.

Take care of yourself, and if you want someone to talk to or to vent to who's close(er) to your age, feel free to email me anytime. It's vicam7@hotmail.com I'm always happy to chat.

Take care,
Kelly

Re: Welcome to the Boards! new
      #94201 - 07/29/04 10:26 AM
merangue

Reged: 07/28/04
Loc: chilliwack, b.c

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. It's nice for once to feel like I belong somewhere, and that I can get support if I need it.

Quote:

You said you were diagnosed with IBS...did you have a lot of tests done to rule out other disorders? Have you had a colonoscopy, upper and lower GI series or anything like that? You really should have those tests done along with the Celiac test to make sure it's nothing more serious.

*Points to the quote* they diagnosed me when i was really young, like, 7 or 8 maybe. My parents were getting divorced at the time, and I have virtually no recollection of a lot of those years. I have no idea if they did any tests, or just gave up and called it IBS. As I mentioned before, I'm still waiting for a call form the doctors to tell me my appointment date. Unfortunately, my medical coverage runs out at the end of this month, so this should be fun... I have a bloodwork slip to test for celiac, but my husband works days and I work nights (and I don't drive), so I haven't had time to go yet.

But, as I said, thatnks for the welcome, and the support and suggestions ^__^=

--------------------
Falling from heaven isn't nearly as painful as surviving the fall.

Re: Welcome to the Boards! new
      #94925 - 08/01/04 11:00 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome from me, too! How awful to be dealing with this at your age. It's bad enough when you're 51 like me.

I strongly believe that if you try to follow this approach that you will feel better. My case is not as severe as yours, but by following Heather's diet, I've now been D-free for almost 7 months. Give it a try, gradually or all at once, whichever feels most comfortable to you.

And keep coming back to get encouragement and support from all of us, okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7917 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4904

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review