All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
For Carolyn new
      #94078 - 07/28/04 09:00 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

You might ask the doctor for another referral. Or call the hospital you went to and ask if there's someone else in the department.

As for a supplement, I would go with Citrucel Caps. I've been on them for 2+ years and they've had me in good shape, with the exception of the last week. They are soluble fiber and they don't give me nearly as much gas as Metamucil.

I find also if I start my day with a small bowl of oatmeal (1/4 c oats + 1/4 c water) with nothing on it, I feel much better. It can get monotonous, but it always smoothes out my system better than anything else.

I also suggest eating small meals throughout the day when possible (snacks like Arrowroot crackers, Saltines etc, little apple sauce cups (unsweetened).) I thought I was hypoglycemic too. I'm not. But I thought I was and the little snacks have helped.

My doc also suggests that when you're sick and don't feel like eating to drink Ensure or one of those supplement shakes so you still get your calories.

For nausea... either ginger tea, or flat gingerale works every time for me. I'll let you know how things turn out. Keep me posted too.
Karen =)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Carolyn new
      #94083 - 07/28/04 09:08 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Doesn't Ensure have dairy in it?

Re: For Carolyn new
      #94100 - 07/28/04 10:58 PM
daisy2

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Washington

Thanks Karen, I really appreciate all your help.

Re: For Chinagrl new
      #94101 - 07/28/04 11:04 PM
daisy2

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Washington

My Mom suggested Ensure also and I thought it had diary in it. We are concerned about my daughter's weight loss. What's your thought on seeing a nutritionist to help me help her before she gets too thin. This IBS diet is sooo low in fat. She had D today and it doesn't surprise me because I let her have some ice cream which can be sooo rich. Also, what do you do for drinks? Just water and tea gets so old so fast.

Food new
      #94104 - 07/29/04 01:11 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hey there
First I wanted to say that you are such a good Mummy. Its such a difficult, vague illness to deal with in children and you are so focused on your daughter.
About the food....if you want to fatten her up: if she can tolerate sugar (I can't really) then that is the way to go with keeping her weight up, as opposed to fatty foods which kill the gut. All the cakes in Heathers books as so phenomenal.I can't eat them but my husband devours them!!! Have you tried giving her soy ice cream? The products today get better and better. Same goes for soy yogurt drinks (a new drink for her). You can get soy cheese to put on home made pizzas. Grill potato wedges which are so yummy brushed with a tiny bit of oil. Just make sure as much as possible that she is taking in lots of carbs and she will be fine.
I know its not easy not to panic. I'm 25 and everytime my mother sees me lose a few pounds because of an attack she gets frantic. Its a mothers place. You are both currently going through the 'finding out how to manage this phase'....it takes trial, error, pain and a degree of weightloss. I have no doubt that with a mother like you she is going to be so fine.
Once she is stable you can start to experiment with fruit juices re: having more exciting drinks. Heathers book also has amazing beverages to try out. Again, a lot of them are reliant on sugar, but most people with ibs can tolerate it so don't worry too much about the fact that I can't!
Good luck!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Carolyn.....what a beautiful name! :) new
      #94116 - 07/29/04 06:06 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

That is my real name too. My family calls me Carolyn, but everyone else calls me Cara.
I never meet people named Carolyn!

--------------------
~Cara~

...and more food new
      #94138 - 07/29/04 07:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's experience at the gastro. Unfortunately, that's all too common.

Following up daliatree's wonderful post, I just wanted to leave you the link to the Recipe Section overview. If you scroll down the page a little, you'll find links to all the different recipe sections here on the site - a sampling from Heather's cookbook and cooking show, the newsletter archive, the message board, and the message board index. Read through the recipes together, and I'm betting you'll find some treats that she's sure to want to try - and they're all safe! Personally, I recommend the Peppermint Fudge Cake and the Chocolate Applesauce Bread... so good!

Also, as far as drinks go, the only fruit juice that's IBS-safe is pure cranberry. Personally, just about every other juice (grape and apple, especially!) gives me D, so you might want to go carefully with juices. I know this is something that's not exactly recommended, but if she's feeling brave, have her try some Kool-Aid (I buy the packets and make it with less sugar) and Gatorade. Even when I was having a lot of D, I could drink Gatorade without problems... I still wouldn't recommend making it *all* she drinks, but a little is a nice break from water and tea, if she can tolerate it.

For drinking, I find rice milk (I buy vanilla Rice Dream) to be a lot tastier than soy milk, but that's just me. I also prefer Rice Dream "ice cream" to soy ice cream... just a couple suggestions, if she tries soy and decides she doesn't like it.

Oooh, one more thing... if she likes iced tea, try brewed iced redbush (rooibus) tea. It's still technically an herbal, but it tastes a little more "tea-like" than, say, peppermint, fennel, or chamomile.

I know you're concerned about her weight loss - I'm 29, and my mother STILL worries because I've lost weight - but she will stabilize and her weight will too. Hang in there, both of you!

Re: For Chinagrl new
      #94139 - 07/29/04 07:43 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I agree with pretty much everything Dalia said below regarding food. I think a nutritionist could be a good idea if you can find one who knows about IBS. As far as drinks go... what about iced fruit tea? Some people are sensitive to cold drinks, but raspberry tea is pretty yummy cold. Or I have some Westsoy Soy Shake. It comes in chocolate and vanilla and is really thick and creamy and yummy. It could also be the basis for fruit smoothies. And finally, what about cold chai? Chai is delicious too.

Re: For Carolyn- Ensure new
      #94149 - 07/29/04 08:12 AM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

Nope, Ensure doesn't have dairy in it. Checked with both the PCP and the GI doc this week because I've been so sick and barely able to eat much of anything...

If she can tolerate different flavors of herbal tea (they have a great blueberry one out from celestial seasonings-- also raspberry is good, too), that's usually how I keep myself from getting bored.

I don't know if this is a general no-no or not... but I also drink Gatorade at half-strength these days because I haven't been eating much to keep my electrolytes up. (Doc's order.) I drink it at half-strength because it has a lot of sugar in it.

If you need more help, let me know.
K =)

Ensure - possible dairy derivative?
      #94161 - 07/29/04 08:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ensure isn't dairy, per se, but it does contain "calcium caseinate". I'm not 100% sure about this particular ingredient, but generally speaking, casein is a dairy derivative, and some people with IBS can tolerate it just fine, while others find ANY dairy derivatives to be triggers.

Not saying that she shouldn't use them, but like anything else, it might be better to buy a couple cans and try a little at a time before investing in a case deal at Costco. Heh.

As a side note, I'm having the same problem with eating and am thinking about trying the Ensure too... how do they taste? Any flavors better than others?

Glad to see someone else can handle Gatorade... now I don't feel so bad for recommending it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9620

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review