All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I was bad last night & now I'm paying for it!
      #93052 - 07/26/04 07:05 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

Last night I ate not one, but two Chips Ahoy White Chocolate Chunk cookies. I don't know if that caused this, but I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst abdominal pain ever I was up for awhile because of the pain and I am really dragging today! I don't know why I did that to myself other than sometimes I just get mad and feel really deprived because I can't eat what so many other people can Does anyone else ever feel like this? Also, where do all of you find time to cook? During the week I am so busy, it's hard to find time to prepare a decent meal (say from the IBS cookbook). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Time to cook new
      #93055 - 07/26/04 07:13 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Of course, I have all the time in the world to cook right now, but that wasn't always the case....

There are 2 kitchen gadgets I can't live without, and totally recommend for anyone pressed for time with cooking: a crockpot (slow cooker) and a Foreman grill. If you don't already have both, get 'em! They're fantastic. The crockpot just takes a few minutes of planning ahead in the morning, and when you get home from work, dinner will be waiting. And there are TONS of IBS-friendly (or easily modified) recipes out there online, even if there aren't many here on the site.

The Foreman can grill even a really thick, partially-frozen chicken breast in 10 minutes or less, making it perfect for fast cooking. Again, grilling recipes are all over the place, especially this time of year.

I also used to cook on Sunday nights (or afternoons, when that worked better). That's when baking would happen, if any of that was going to be going on. I'd sometimes also do casseroles, divide them up into containers, and stick 'em all in the freezer, to microwave during the week (or take to work).

Hope that helps a little, and hope you're feeling better today!

Re: Time to cook new
      #93056 - 07/26/04 07:18 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

Yes, those are great suggestions. I've been meaning to get a crock-pot, so I will have to do that very soon. We have a Foreman grill, but I forget that it's there most of the time Thanks for reminding me!

Re: I was bad last night & now I'm paying for it! new
      #93057 - 07/26/04 07:20 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

I hear you! It was my mom's bday this weekend and I had alcohol and cheesecake! Ugh...boy did I pay for it. The pain hit at night, as I was going to bed, a piercing sharp pain in my lower abdomen/pubic bone area (right side). It was horid and I am still dealing with some of it now. I know how you feel. I too was at a point where I felt deprived...but no more. I am a semi-vegetarian, so I don't miss meat. I love fruits and veggies and have them in abundance, the "IBS-safe" way, and eat many of the soluble fiber ones as is (sweet potato, beets, carrots, bananas, etc.) I have oatmeal with soymilk nearly every morning (I don't think I could ever get sick of it). On the weekends, as a treat, I have chocolate milk (vanilla soymilk and pure cocoa powder heated up) and fresh baguette with seedless jam (apricot, peach, etc.) I like to cook, but like you, find it difficult to find the time. I cook more on the weekends and keep leftovers. I don't look at the recipe book that much (except for desserts: rice pudding, cornbread, zucchini bread). I make my own (baked chicken, with couscous, fish, and again, lots of veggies...lentil soups, etc). I find that I don't miss things that much anymore. Also, try to have some of the "forbidden foods" when you're stable, after a decent size soluble meal, extra supplements. You should be OK then. And so that you don't feel so deprived, go out to eat once in a while and substitute or omit as necessary. It's not so hard at most places, once u get the hang of it.
Good luck!

LOL! new
      #93058 - 07/26/04 07:21 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Don't feel bad. My father gave me a Foreman grill last summer. Then my boyfriend and I got ANOTHER one for a Christmas present. I think we forgot about them too... we finally tried one for the first time last month. Now we never put it back in the cabinet because we use it at least twice a week. Good luck!

Re: I was bad last night & now I'm paying for it! new
      #93220 - 07/26/04 03:41 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It's so frustrating that chocolate is a trigger (how dare they!). It does suck that we are deprived of so many things. You can look at it the other way, though. THank God for cocoa. I would visit the recipe board for fast and easy supper ideas. There's tons of folks over there who will be glad to help ya. As for the deprivation, there are substitutes. Okay, chips ahoy isn't the safest option. But I'd take Heather's Peppermint Fudge Cake any day over it and it is TOTALLY SAFE! (It's even chocoholic approved!)
Eventually, I found I got used to the substitutes and found the real thing rather rich or too salty or too fatty, etc.
Besides, it's healthier.
But feel free to vent and complain - that's what we're here for. I admit there are times I could REALLY go for a milkshake.. or coffee... or.....

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

or a pizza -nt- new
      #93267 - 07/26/04 05:34 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

--------------------
IBS-D

I know how you feel! new
      #93357 - 07/26/04 09:35 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Before I was off work I felt like I never had time to cook. I also found that some of the recipes in Heather's cook book were so foreign to me (sorry Heather ) But really look on the recipe board. It keep things pretty simple and you will learn to cook some really quick meals.

Also - they are some wonderful recipes for cakes, cookies etc so you don't feel so deprived. And in Heather's cook book she has a wonderful chocolate loaf that doesn't feel like you can't have chocolate. It is excellent.

I used to hate cooking. But I have grown to really love it. I think it's cuz I have to. But I try to cook on Sundays when my DH is home. I make a few different loaves and freeze them for throughout the week. Also double meals recipes. Since you are cooking anyway - just make a bigger batch. Then freeze half and you will have meals for the next week.

Once you get into it, it really won't feel like so much work LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 415 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review