All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Which soy milk do you recommend?
      #93012 - 07/25/04 10:28 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I have been noticing that there are huge disparities in terms of soy milk: Some are much cheaper than others; some are sold refrigerated while others are not... So far I have only tried 8th Continent and Silk in the vanilla flavor, and there is a major difference in taste between the two!

So, my question is, what brand of soy milk do you like for your cereal or other use where flavor is noticeable?

Thank you!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Which soy milk do you recommend? new
      #93013 - 07/25/04 10:40 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Christine, I use the Silk only on cereal and to bake with. I can't stand the taste of whole milk, to me the Silk seems a little creamier. I like that.

My Mom found some at Sam's Club, it is non-regrigerated, she said she loves it, my neice and nephew visit her alot, they are college students and they love it too. She sends it back to school with them. I don't know the name, I will talk to her tomorrow and send it to you.

#93024 - 07/25/04 11:41 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I use Silk Vanilla and I also drink the chocolate. I didn't like it at first but have acquired a taste so I can just drink a glass of chocolate milk. I have never been a big milk drinker. I use the vanilla soy to make my oatmeal int he mornings and if I eat cereal but I do not just drink a glass. Silk is the only brand that I can get so I have nothing to compare it with.

--------------------
Janey

#93038 - 07/26/04 05:44 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

I like the Silk Vanilla and Silk Chocolate. I've tried 8th Continent Vanilla, which I liked, however, I don't think that brand is organic? And I liked the Silk better anyway.

I have also tried VitaSoy Vanilla, which came in an unrefrigerated carton, but I didn't like the taste of it. I have also tried Rice Dream Vanilla, which I thought tasted terrible, but I know there are other people here on the boards that like Rice Dream!

You might just need to taste a few brands to determine which one you like best!?

Good Luck

#93041 - 07/26/04 05:49 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I can only drink Silk. I can't stand the non-refridgerated stuff, it grosses me out anyways that it's just sitting on a shelf all warm.

Silk is the only brand of yogurt I like too!

--------------------
~Cara~

I prefer SILK new
      #93047 - 07/26/04 06:40 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Eight Continent for sure! new
      #93245 - 07/26/04 04:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have decided 8th Continent is way better than Silk. The chocolate is to die for! It just has a much more natural flavor than Silk and it is all natural too and made in Minnesota. I get so irritated though because when I buy it the checkout coupons are for Silk and I don't want that! Why can't I get one for 8th Continent? I buy the light now and I am very pleased with it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Eight Continent for sure! new
      #93360 - 07/26/04 09:39 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I drink the So Nice brand...I drank Silk when I was on the diet before I was pregnant, but I couldn't stand the taste. This time I tried the So Nice and it is so much better tasting. Although I have drank the vanilla milk alone yet, I have the chocolate version and it tastes so much better. I don't feel so deprived.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#93406 - 07/27/04 06:31 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I have tried 8th Continent and it was too creamy and thick, I didn't like it. Silk soy, had the same taste to me. What I like the best is Vita soy. You can find it in Pathmark, I usually get it from Health food store, because they have a bigger supply of it (atleast where I go). This tastes the most like milk, I found. In cereal you can't even notice the difference. Even drinking it by itself is good. I get the one in the blue container, there are some that are in the freezer area, but I get the boxed soy that isn't refrigerated. You only need to refrigerate it after you open it. I get the original flavor, it is great!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Vitasoy light! new
      #93491 - 07/27/04 10:50 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hey Christine,

I Strongly recommend that you try VItasoy light vanilla. It is tasty enough to drink alone, but not too sweet to put in sugary cereals like honeycombs. Plus, it is the only "light" flavor I have tried that tastes really good, but I haven't tried to many brands.
It seems about "middle of the road" for price. Since it doesn't have to be refrigerated, when it goes on sale I make sure to stock up- they were 1/2 price a couple of weeks ago...I bought them out!
Good luck!
I do drink silk for the choclate, and individual sizes in Very vanilla to take to work. They taste okay, but I imagine they are pretty hard to find, my BF's mom gets them at BJ's Wholesale store for me.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Eight Continent for sure! new
      #97937 - 08/12/04 08:41 PM
fud4me

Reged: 06/08/04
Loc: Texas

I too think that 8th Continent is the best soy milk out there! I used to think that Silk was good but 8th Continent is soooooo much better. I drink the chocolate regular since the light contains Sucralose. Time to go pour a glass right now!

#97942 - 08/12/04 09:37 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

I prefer silk vanilla.... But usually buy Rice dream vanilla because local stores always have it.

#97959 - 08/13/04 03:47 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

westsoy nonfat... its what mom introduced me to, or rice dream.. can store on a shelf, but always use cold....

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I also drink 8th Continent -&- Light nt. new
      #97974 - 08/13/04 06:12 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2483

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review