All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My daughter (night-time)
      #92998 - 07/25/04 08:54 PM
daisy2

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Washington

Just a quick question. What is it about night-time with IBS? My daughter almost always says she doesn't feel good right before she goes to bed??? Any thoughts on that. She is doing much better since I have had her on the IBS diet. She performed in a play this weekend and right before she went out she said she didn't feel good (stress). I worried she might have an attack and not be able to perform but she didn't. Tuesday is her appointment with the gastro. I need to get her on a supplement and bought Citricel. How much should I start her on? She doesn't drink a lot of liquids. Doesn't she need to drink a lot with fiber supplements? Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My daughter (night-time) new
      #93000 - 07/25/04 09:00 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I think that certain times of the day are harder for people. I have trouble at night and in the morning. My best times start about 10 am and run until 8 pm. I don't know why that is, but I wanted to let you know she's not alone.

#93001 - 07/25/04 09:04 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I don't know what it is with night-time IBS from a medical standpoint, but I can tell you my tummy is almost always worse at night, especially when I was younger. Throughout my teenage years night was the worst, I think because I was always stressed about what the next day would bring, and how I would feel. It could also be upset from dinner, which tends to be the largest meal of the day, maybe she's eating too much or something that doesn't agree with her?

As for the fiber supplement, it is absolutely important to drink a lot of liquids (water is best) while taking them. Especially right when you take the supplement. It depends which one you get (Heather's Acacia doesn't do this) but a lot of them can cause swelling and choking if they're not taken with adequate fluid, so make sure she drinks

According to Heather's info, it's best to start with 1/2 to 1 level teaspoon twice a day for the first few weeks and work up gradually. The goal is to get to 2 tablespoons a day if possible. You want to do it really slowly though, and if she starts experiencing a lot more gas or bloating after any increase, you may want to lower it down and go even slower and more gradual.

Hope that helped!
Good luck!
Kelly

#93002 - 07/25/04 09:12 PM
daisy2

Thanks. She also has a hard time in the mornings and eats very little. I'm a little concern about her weight too. Anything you might suggest to put some weight back on her bones?

#93003 - 07/25/04 09:19 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

There are some ongoing conversations about gaining weight on the board... you might do a search for them. I find that the only way I feel like eating in the morning is to get up and get moving for an hour or so, take my medicine, and then I can eat. So I take snacks with me on days when I have to be at school early (I'm teaching an 8 am class this semester, so I have to be there at 7:30, NOT my best time). There are lots of great recipes for safe snack foods on the recipe board, you could check those out. I'm not sure how old she is, but I know my weight fluctuated a lot over my life as I was figuring out my IBS and my metabolism was changing. I lost about 10 pounds from my freshman to my sophomore year of high school. People made a big deal about how thin I was, but I gained it back later.

#93005 - 07/25/04 09:25 PM
daisy2

You mentioned medicine you take in the mornings? If you don't mind me asking -- is it for IBS and if so, what are you taking? She is 9 years old and is tall for her age and thin. She can't afford to loss any more weight. What are some snacks you like?

#93006 - 07/25/04 09:33 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Regarding her play...I always find when I am nervous about something, my stomach really flops around. I have learnt to not get myself ready to early so I have to sit and wait for a half hour or so. If I do, my stomach is doing some crazy stuff just because of the wait and I know I don't want to be late.

Now I make myself get ready and then just walk right out the door...of course with Ben it is alot easier to drag out the getting ready process...I don't even have to TRY to do it, it just happens LOL

At nights, is when my IBS is the worst, it seems like anything "bad" I have had during the day catches up with me then so I have to be sure to be careful all day. I usually sip water for the last hour before I go to bed and that always helps my tummy and gets me ready for bed.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#93008 - 07/25/04 09:37 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

I take Bentyl, which my GI doc prescribed. You might ask if that is safe for children. I often take that with 2 Citrucel caps first thing in the morning. She might want to try one, if she's only 9, though.

I have oatmeal every morning with nothing on it. It's really boring, but it settles well.

For snacks I eat Arrowroot Crackers, Laughing Cow Light Cheese, Angel Food Cake, I'll eat fresh fruit if we have it. Rice cakes are good. And Heather's Rice Pudding is really good.

I had the same trouble when I was 9. (And I also did plays-- still do-- I'm leaving in 3 weeks to do professional theatre. So I know all about the stress.)

Hope that helps.
Karen =)

#93016 - 07/25/04 11:01 PM
daisy2

Karen,

I love your neck of the woods. We just got back from Nantucket which is my favorite place in the whole world. I would love to hear about your theatre work sometime. Best of luck to you.

Carolyn

#93023 - 07/25/04 11:35 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I always feel worse at night and usually have a stomach ache most nights when I go to bed. Lucky for me most of the time I wake up hungry and I eat oatmeal made with vanilla soy milk, a little brown sugar and bananas every morning. This sits really well with my stomach.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3805 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1704

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review