All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Breakfast Help
      #92754 - 07/24/04 08:51 AM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hi - Fairly new here, more of a lurker than a poster so apologies if I've posted in the wrong section! Can anyone suggest what's good to eat for breakfast when you have chronic IBS? Things have got so bad that I don't eat during the day in case of an attack. I'm trying eat better but am stuck at breakfast. I'm in the UK so may not be familiar with some USA brands. For the last 4 days I have tried Weetabix (whole grain) with soya but I think the insol. fibre was too much as I'm having problems. The good thing about it was it was really filling and low fat! Any suggestion for filing low fat breakfast foods that won't cause attack? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Breakfast ideas! new
      #92767 - 07/24/04 09:43 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you've been having attacks lately, which it sounds like you have, I would really suggest sticking to the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet guidelines (I can find those for you and link them, if you're not familiar with them). It makes for somewhat boring breakfast choices, but you'll be able to expand them soon, promise. Some things that have worked for me are:

Hot rice cereal (it's baby food, but surprisingly tasty) with a bit of sugar
Toasted bagels, english muffins, bread - be careful what you put on them! a thin scrape of jam should be fine
Hot rice with a drop of vanilla and a bit of sugar

If you're a cereal eater, try Honeycomb or plain rice cereals such as Chex (I'm not sure what you can get in your area, but a cold cereal made of rice flour will be safe). Skip the milk altogether - dairy is a trigger - or use rice or soy milk instead (I find rice milk is safer). Wheetabix, by the way, is definitely too high in insoluble fiber if you're just starting to get stable.

Once you're a little more stable attack-wise, you can start adding in some of the IBS-safe muffin and bread recipes from the cookbook or the recipe board - tasty and good for you too!

Hope that helps a little - and welcome, by the way!

Re: Breakfast Help new
      #92772 - 07/24/04 10:40 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi,

I thought I'd add a couple of items to Casey's list. First of all, not everyone can tolerate instant oatmeal, but if you can, it's a good start to the day. Also, I really enjoy sourdough muffins with a little soy margarine. Yum!

Don't forget your soluble fiber supplement, either!

Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#92775 - 07/24/04 11:07 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I eat Quaker Cinnamon & Spice instant oatmeal with a piece of toast every morning. If you are not sure about oatmeal you might even try half a bowl at first. Also, a piece of toast with a little peanut butter spread on it would be filling. I don't know if you can tolerate these things but they have worked for me.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Breakfast ideas! new
      #92823 - 07/24/04 02:26 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

I usually eat a plain bagel or english muffin with scrambled egg whites. I find the egg whites make it a little more filling then just having the bread and i like the taste of them too.

#92844 - 07/24/04 08:10 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Welcome!

My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with half a banana and soy milk (which I eat after taking a soluble fiber supplement). The banana adds some sweetness to the oatmeal - it tastes great and is filling too!

Also, as Casey suggested, rice cereal could be substituted for the oatmeal and you could use rice milk instead of soy milk.

Hope you feel better soon.

Kim

#92856 - 07/25/04 04:41 AM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hi

Thanks for all your responses - really appreciate it! I'd love to have oatmeal but the Quaker instant versions available in the UK have high insol. fibre. I can eat rice cereals - I use Vanilla soy and currently eat a organic honey puffed brown rice cereal. Just not very filling, then by mid morning I want to snack. Mind you this is at week-ends 'cos I'm so scared to eat before I travel to work. When I get to work I live in fear that the fire alarm will go off and I'll be outside for up to 2hrs without access to a bathroom. I have started taking Acacia (lowest dosage) but I'm scared that will bring on an attack trigged by nerves. Dumb I know, as I've read both Heather's books and soluble fibre is the way to go. I like the idea of egg whites so am going off to the supermarket now to see what else I can get. Have looked up sourdough bread but not too sure what it is - is it bread without yeast? Don't think supermarkets stock this in the UK but will check out the health stores - will post in the receipe exchange to see if anyone can tell me how to bake it!
Thanks for all your advice!

Sourdough bread... new
      #92864 - 07/25/04 06:17 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

... is just another kind of white bread. Instead of using just yeast, it also has a "starter" that ferments a little, giving it a slightly tangy, sour flavor. Personally, I can't stand the stuff, haha. Any good-quality white bread - try to get bakery bread if you can, no preservatives and it's just soooo much tastier! - will do just fine. The key is to not get anything "whole wheat" or "multigrain", which also has too much insoluble, especially for someone just starting out.

I know you're afraid of attacks right now... I went through the same thing. I'm slowly eating again (all day! even if I have to go somewhere!), and trust me, the attacks do get fewer and things do get easier. Good luck!

#93040 - 07/26/04 05:46 AM
kates

Reged: 06/07/04
Loc: London

Hi, I also live in the Uk and I usually have 2 plain english muffins for breakfast with Honey and then around 10.30 - 11 have a few rice crackers to fill the gap until lunch time. Try Marks and Spencers Low fat range (only 1 point on Weight watchers diet) however most supermarkets have their own range. I Know what you mean about the Fire Alarms - luckily we have a pub next door so I can pop in there if I need to!! It the train journey which gets me though...

#93060 - 07/26/04 07:24 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi, as a fellow Weetabix lover, I understand. I am able to eat it once I am stable. I tend to have oatmeal (made with 1/4 cup vanilla soymilk and 3/4 cup plain soymilk) every morning and love it as is. On the weekends, I heat up 2 cups of vanilla soymilk mixed with pure cocoa powder and have fresh baguette with seedless jam (apricot, peach) and it is heavenly. Good luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 937 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review