All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Very bad week (long post)
      #92212 - 07/22/04 05:14 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I don't know what's wrong with me this week. I'm usually IBS-D and this week I've been sooooo 'c'. I haven't gone to the washroom much this week (once)and have terrible cramping. Maybe it's because I'm so constipated. Plus I have these urgent bowel feelings once an hour or so but when I go nothing happens. It's hard to be at work running to the washroom so often only for it to be a false alarm.

I called in sick on Tuesday, went to work yesterday and it was pure hell so I called in sick again today. I only get so many sick days so this means I only have 1 sick day left for the months of August and September. I can only be sick one day in 2 months. Normally that would be fine but the way I've been feeling I'd need a week or more off just to normalize. Gee, what is normal?

I feel like my IBS keeps getting worse and worse. Just when I think it's manageable I get this crazy constipation that makes me feel so sick. Maybe it's a stomach virus though because I noticed when I was going to the bathroom (last week)that it was whitish and looked like it was covered in mucous. Is that even normal? I think that I've got myself so worked up that it's dragging on longer than it should.

How do I unconstipate myself? I've been taking fibre (1 tsp daily) and drinking lots of water. Should I take even more fibre? To make matters worse I have a huge hemroid from straining and maybe that's why nothing is coming out because there's no room because of my big old hemroid. Is that possible?

Aagh, I try to be strong but this IBS keeps getting worse and I've lost so much weight (15 lbs-mostly from eliminating so many things from my diet) and feel lousy all the time that I don't know what to do anymore. People at work keep asking me how I've lost so much weight. I keep my IBS a secret and if they only knew they wouldn't envy my weight loss. I'm small to start with so I can't lose any more weight. I'm, 5' 2" and now 105 lbs. I was 120 before which was a good weight for me.

I'm on Dicetel which seemed to be working and then stopped so my doctor doubled my dose. Maybe that's why I'm so constipated now?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome as I'm so frustrated and my boyfriend keeps telling me to stop complaining. I wouldn't complain if I didn't feel so awful. He has no idea. Either does my mom who says that it's just bad gas and I'll be fine. I don't have gas at all?!

I am seeing the doctor this afternoon and have no idea what I should tell him??? Should I try a new medication? I made an appointment yesterday because I just thought that there must be something that he can do to help me. This is no way to live!!!

Plus, I need to get this under control very soon as I can't afford to get fired and I will if I start misisng so much time like this. Aagh...

HELP!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh my, Sara new
      #92223 - 07/22/04 06:34 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

So sorry you are having such a tough time. I'm IBS-D so unfortunately I can't really help with the "C" problem too much except to say maybe try a probiotic. Also, I don't eat much fiber except oatmeal and I think that is what keeps me regular. My husband uses Preparation-H suppositories for the hemoroid (sp) and they really help him.

Be sure you tell your doc about the mucous in your stool and the hemoroid and everything else.....I'm sure you were going to do that anyway! Maybe ask him if you should try another med because that could be causing the "C" since you didn't have it before. I take Librax which relaxes me and relaxes my stomach. It works well for me but it can be addicting.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help but I am always here to listen.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Oh my, Sara new
      #92226 - 07/22/04 06:42 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks for responding. I will tell my doctor all of my symptoms and hope he can help me. I think I'll ask to be put on a different med. I've read that Dicetel hasn't helped too many people on this message board area.

I'm feeling a tiny bit better since I know I don't have to go to work. I went for a celiac blood test just now and am hoping to get that ruled out. I do think that I have more than IBS though? I think I may have a stomach virus but I don't think there's any treatment for that except for time.

Thanks again for your reply.

Sara new
      #92230 - 07/22/04 07:15 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I am sorry to hear that things have gotten that bad for you... it seems unlikely that you could be that bad as an effect of being on the diet. Did you used to be 'D' or an 'A'? Or have you always been 'C'?
I am a 'D', actually, I may be an 'A', not sure.
I have found with the diet now it is hard for me to stay regular, but I take 2 TB of acacia daily. I also make sure that I always get in some fruit and veggies everyday and teas, and that seems to help. Orange juice I have recently found can get me moving in the morning, but feels so harsh on my tummy (all the acid, I guess).
I know that drugs often have bad affects on the digestive system, so the Dicetel would be my guess, but I am most definately NOT an expert.
Hope you feel better soon!
P.S.- don't worry about the sick days, once you start feeling better you will probably feel like that for SOOO long, that you will rack up the days incase another emergency comes up!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Sara new
      #92237 - 07/22/04 07:51 AM
Sara-Sage

Hi, I've been on Dicetel for months but only doubled the dose in the last month. I don't think the diet is making me worse at all. I'm sure it is helping but I can't seem to get over having weekly attacks that linger and linger. I ordered the peppermint caps which I'm hoping will help.

I used to be IBS-C for years and then about 6-8 months ago I became an IBS-D. But even before when I had constipation it was never this bad and was never painful.

I thought maybe it could be a stomach bug but I would have 'd' and vomitting so it's probably just my IBS misbehaving. Sigh.

As for missing work, I do worry about that a lot and try so hard to go when I feel bad. But this week has been the worst ever and nothing sems to help.

Re: Very bad week (long post) new
      #92239 - 07/22/04 08:00 AM
toronto

Reged: 07/22/04

Hi,

I'm new to this message board, but reading how your feeling is exactly how I feel. I unfortunately have the runs and the constipation, depending on the day. Coming to work is a chore, and sometimes I don't even make it in. I have missed so many days that I have been put on modified duties and even HR seems to think that this is a joke. They are now sending me to one of their Doctor's. My IBS is mostly triggered by Stress. I have been on Dicetel, Zelnorm, Prevacid, Metamucil, Prodiem, Stool Softeners, you name it. Nothing seems to work for longer than a month or so. I have other stresses in my life that I am trying to deal with, but everyday I feel so crappy. No one seems to understand that it is not fun constantly looking for a washroom or having your butt stuck to the toilet 15+ times a day. I keep going up and down in weight and feel completely frustrated all the time. This adds stress and then off to the washroom I go again.
I want to work, but doing Customer Service on the phone. I can't reach the bathroom when I need to. How do you tell your boss that you almost soiled yourself??

Someone Help!
Toronto

#92245 - 07/22/04 08:17 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Dear Sara,
Im sorry you're feeling so crummy - and I know what you mean about work! Yesterday I was also having the false urgency thing and my co-worker who was looking for me said "every time I turn around you're in the bathroom!" - Love to hear that one! I know feeling like you have to strain with hemmerhoids is not a good thing. I use preparation H wipes - they're soothing. Some people recommend stool softeners, but those have given me horrible D in the past - even if I did feel C before I took them. Also, a hot bath after you poo can sooth any burning from hemmerhoids. With the mucus in the poo, I've had this before too - it's from the straining and from your intestines not liking it. You say you're taking the SFS, but do you have any insoluables in your diet? I know there's been times that I've been having D and gone to eating almost all soluable fiber and then I get stopped up. Maybe try introducing some fruit or cooked veggies with a soluable fiber base if you havn't already.
Just some thoughts. Hope some of this is helpful. Good luck at the Doc (sorry you have to go) and hope you feel better.

Min

Ya, no kidding new
      #92246 - 07/22/04 08:19 AM
Sara-Sage

I know, it's such a frustrating illness, isn't it? If we had asthma or something like that it would seem easier. Because it's our digestive systems it effects what we eat/drink and our bathroom habits. Some things should be off limits.

I don't know how people with bad IBS can even work? I work in an office environemnt where I can go the washroom as often as I need to but that's only half the battle. Most morings I wake up feeling so ill that getting to work is a small miracle.

I wish I could work from home or else just work part-time.

#92249 - 07/22/04 08:24 AM
Sara-Sage

Hi Mindy. Ya, work is the worst part of IBS for me. It's such a taboo still that people don't know much about IBS and tend to get uncomfortable if you explain that it means you might have to go to the washroom a lot or very seldom.

I think you're right about not getting enough insoluble fibre. I just made myself a smoothy with soy milk, strawberries, pineapple and bananas and I had a tiny bit of bathroom activity.

I actually like going to the doctor. I usually leave feeling a bit more relaxed with something new to try. It's later on that I get dissapointed when my new med doesn't work.

Anyhow, have a great day.

straining... new
      #92367 - 07/22/04 02:57 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am SO sorry to hear of your suffering.
I have had ibs c for ten years and consider myself a professional!! in all the years I have had it (I once didn't go for a month) I have never once got a hemarroid and it is because I never ever strain and hardly push...I sit and let the rhythm come on its own and encourage it out with gentle muscular contractions...but no pushes. Never ever strain.
I cannot even include any white flour products or even too much white rice in my diet...I have to eat a lot of insoluble to keep myself regular. I think you should try some oatmeal in the morning (very soothing and poo inducing)...when you wake have 2 cups of peppermint or fennel tea...wait half an hour then have the oatmeal...don't have the food with the tea. How about a nice bowl of vegie soup with lots of sweet potato and carrots and potatoes....they are very gentle...and if that goes well, try a piece of wholewheat toast with a nut or sesame seed spread (highly nutritious and gentle). Good luck...please don't strain, it will come out and will come out in one log instead of little pieces like when you strain.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 751 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review