All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question, After Surgery & IBS
      #92162 - 07/21/04 05:23 PM
Crafty

Reged: 07/17/04

I had hernia repair 3 weeks ago, I also suffer from IBS. I'm in soooo much pain, can someone please give me some advice what to do? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question, After Surgery & IBS new
      #92166 - 07/21/04 06:04 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Are you in pain because of the surgery? If so, the doc should have given you some pain med.

If the pain is from IBS I can't help you too much there.

I am IBS-D with anxiety. I take Librax to relax me and relax my stomach and Xanax for especially stressful times. Also OTC Phazyme for gas. Immodium for "D"

You might even want to nose around the boards to see if you can find some other posts about pain. I think there are others that do take something for stomach pains.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help.

Barbie

--------------------

#92203 - 07/21/04 08:59 PM
Crafty

Hi Barbie,
I'm not really sure if the pain is from the surgery or IBS. All I know I'm in pain and very irritable and depressed being in pain for over 1 year.
My Dr. has me on pain meds but I hate taking them because it makes me depressed. I wish I could do without them.

I love the bunnies. Thanks for your help.

#92251 - 07/22/04 08:29 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Crafty,

Sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. Where is the pain located? You mentioned that you have IBS - does it feel like a cramp associated with IBS or a new pain from the surgery?

I would talk to your doctor and see if he will give you a different kind of pain killer if you don't like the one you're on now.

Hope this helps a little bit,

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#92417 - 07/22/04 07:08 PM
Crafty

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it. The pain is both from the surgery and the IBS. I thought maybe I'd get some advice here. Please don't take this wrong but I thought Heather would be giving some advice. I guess I'm really disappointed. I hope things work out for you. Blessings!!

#92426 - 07/22/04 07:32 PM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

I've never had surgery but I think most doctors want you to ice the area. IBS pain is best treated with heat. Can you mentally "isolate" the area with pain to determine if you need ice or heat. Read the sticky notes at the beginning of the IBS diet post - it's full of information and links to help you find foods you can eat while you are stabalizing. Hope it helps.

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

#92511 - 07/23/04 08:37 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Crafty,

Unfortunately Heather is often busy with the site and store that helps so many of us manage our IBS. That's why she has us moderators to help out, as well as all the other members of the boards who graciously help out too.

If you would really like Heather's advice, I would suggest emailing her. But don't be surprised if you don't get a response right away - it might take a couple days.

Hope you feel better soon.

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#92546 - 07/23/04 09:52 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Crafty, so sorry to hear of the pain. Are you able to take pain meds? Are you constipated also?

I ask because I had abdominal surgery in March, sometimes the pain med help, sometimes it just doesn't matter, it just hurts. I used a heating pad, it was such a comfort and helped so much with the pain. I waited 3-4 weeks before I used it though. Call your doc, they may not want you to use the hp, they may want to change your pain meds. If you are hurting too much, it is not going to help you heal.

Are you trying to do to much? Take care of yourself, get your rest morning and afternoon naps, give your body extra time to do its healing.

If you are a C, are you taking your SFS, drinking warm liquids, having fruit smoothies? Maybe some whole wheat crackers (ff of course). Baking potatos, sweet potatos in the micro wave are easy meals to prepare.

The doc can absolutely help you out with the c, call them.

Hope it gets better soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1864 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 935

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review