All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I'm not getting this whole equalactin thing.. (maybe i'm just blonde?!?)
      #91960 - 07/20/04 08:38 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

ok so equalactin..

YAY YIPPPPPPPPPEEE EVERYONE LOVES IT! I too had success with it the first few times I tried it..

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

lately, despite following the diet.. taking 2tbsps of acacia daily among other things I've had some MAJOR ATTACKS of D. Definitly not as many as I used to have (which doens't say much, considering I STILL have not had one single normal BM since I was 16 years old. since the diet acacia etc, I've started out with a normal one, which turns to D before my butt leaves the toilet.. such a tease.) .. BUT REALLY BAD ONES.. actually the past two attacks I've had have left me crying, feeling naseuous, feeling like I was gonna die etc. Very strange, because even when I was going 7 times a day.. they never hurt like this.

Anyways, the last two times this happened (tonight and last week) I took equalactin after two trips to the bathroom, and they didn't help AT ALL. NONE. NOTHING. NADA.

I had to go to worka and to CVS, so I popped an equalactin tonight.. and ended up hauling booty across the parking lot to micheals.. which luckily had a bathroom. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. this sucks.

How exactly is equalactin supposed to work? I've be avoiding using immodium.. it used to work wonders but lately makes me feel like i'm dying everytime I take it.. trapped gas (which is never a problem when I don't take immodium), and I feel like i'm having a heart attack so I avoid it.

HELP PLEASE?!?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm not getting this whole equalactin thing.. (maybe i'm just blonde?!?) new
      #91962 - 07/20/04 08:48 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi Spicey,

We can't get equalactin here, so can't comment about that. But the sol fibre - have you worked up to the 2 tablespoons of acacia - maybe you are taking too much for your system?

I actually can't take acacia - my body doesn't like it and I get d. Strangely the fibre that suits me best is psyllium - the natural stuff, not Metamucil. (I'm not suggesting you try this, just give the whole sol fibre some thought.)

For diahorea, I take Slippery Elm - 1 teaspoon in a glass of water, followed by another 2 glasses, usually does the trick for me and seems to work far better (for me) than Immodium.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you something to think about. I know those attacks. You start groaning with pain and urgency! Not pretty.

Hope you find relief soon.

Re: I'm not getting this whole equalactin thing.. (maybe i'm just blonde?!?) new
      #91966 - 07/20/04 09:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The equalactin is more like a soluble fiber supplement. It's definitely not an anti-diarrhea medication of any kind.

I'm not sure what else to suggest otherwise. Have you tried other anti-diarrhea meds? Pepto? Kaopectate? Also, it really might be that the acacia doesn't agree with you, like bevp suggested.

Poor thing. I hope you feel better soon.

Re: Ashley, you silly blonde !! new
      #91977 - 07/20/04 10:45 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Ashley honey, do a search and read what Bev has to say about sf. she was on benefiber and realized she was taking too much of it. I have read that not everyone is suited for every sf. right now, I am not taking anything, becauseof the confusion of it all.

Aren't you suppossed to be painting your apartment this week? How is that going? Hope you feel better soon honey!

#92030 - 07/21/04 06:53 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Hey Casey..

I have tired pepto.. but I'm basically immune to the stuff, and now have to take at least three at a time to even get them to work for an hour. ugh.

As for the acacia, I just don't know.. I started on fibercon.. which didnt' make too much of a difference, and switched to acacia.

I started at one tsp, then 1 and a 1/2, then 2 and so on. It has taken me about 2 months to get to 1tbsp twice daily. It never really made a difference. I keep waiting for when one day a dose will miraculously work. ugh. But I don't know that I'm really taking too much, beacuse I didn't notice any difference when I was taking less of the stuff.

--------------------

#92031 - 07/21/04 06:56 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Thanks for the reply Gayla,

I'm not sure what to do. Have you ever taken a SFS?

This whole thing is so frustrating.

Anyways, I actually don't go up to paint the condo until next weekend, right after the closing. But i'm excited to see purple soon. haha.

--------------------

Hmm... new
      #92032 - 07/21/04 07:04 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not even remotely stable yet, but it seems to me that 2 tbsp of acacia a day would be doing something positive, at least a little. Like... I'm taking FiberChoice, and I still have D, but now that I've worked up to 6g/day, it's nowhere near as severe or as frequent as it used to be. Huh. I'm really not sure. I'm assuming you've ruled out everything like trigger foods (not cheating on the diet, are ya? LOL) and stress and stuff like that?

Personally, I won't touch pepto with a 10-foot pole. It actually makes me feel worse. But I figured I'd suggest it anyway.

I hope someone else comes along with some better suggestions for ya... I'm sorry you're still feeling so crappy. I know how frustrating it is.

#92039 - 07/21/04 07:27 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Actually, I do not like Benefiber, it made me feel more constipated than I was before I took it.

Konsyl works great for me, it tastes terrible, the texture is only decent when mixed with warm liquid, and you better drink it down fast because it thickens quickly.
An extra large glass of water has to follow.

Good luck honey, do a search and you can read what every one else is taking and its effects.

#92045 - 07/21/04 07:47 AM
debaver

Reged: 06/27/04

Or maybe the problem is the opposite of what Bev suggests. Maybe you should work up to 3 T of acacia. That's what I do, and it completely works, though all those other fiber supplements (esp Metamucil) give me huge problems. (And make me feel like barfing.) Have you ruled out ulcerative colitis with the doctor?

Debra S
      #92101 - 07/21/04 12:22 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

were you a "D" to start off with?!?!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 446 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4603

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review