Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
B12 Vitamin Shots???
      #91634 - 07/19/04 07:02 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Anyone had to have vitamin b12 shots before? I was at the regular doc today and apparently my blood work came back really deficient in iron (which I already knew) and vitamin b12. They're repeating the test to make sure, but if it's still low they're saying I have to have monthly shots. I know this should really be the least of my worries, but I HATE intramuscular needles. I'm ok with bloodwork, hate the other ones. Anyone with any words of encouragement?
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: B12 Vitamin Shots??? new
      #91641 - 07/19/04 07:20 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

Hey,
My sis used to get those done for awhile. She's fine with needles so i dunno how that part is (and i'm sure it won't hurt that much!) but i'm pretty sure it helped boost her energy level a bit. I'd say go for it if you should get them done! Hey if i could get some extra energy i'd definitely hop on that wagon! (sorry i'm tired, gettin a lil giddy lol) Hopefully this is what the shots are for otherwise just ignore everything i just said! Good Luck!
Julie

#91730 - 07/20/04 06:33 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey Kelly....

I also had very similar results come back from a blood test about a year ago. They told me I could either get an iron shot in my butt once a week OR I could take a strong iron supplment.

The iron shot can make you very C but the liquid iron isn't as hard on your system (although it does taste like you're drinking a spoonful of blood *gag*)...my doc took my IBS into consideration and decided to try me on the liquid iron stuff first before I tried the shots...

Luckily they worked....

Ask your doc about all the options before you decide.

#91732 - 07/20/04 06:39 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Kelly,

My dad used to get B-12 shots and they really helped him.
I have heard of sublingual B-12 that you dissolve under your tongue. You might ask the doc about that if you don't like needles. Also, if you take iron by mouth, be sure to ask the doc for one that won't upset your tummy.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: why people might NEED B12 shots new
      #91882 - 07/20/04 04:38 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

My regular doc ran a lab test for B12 when I complained to her about what I thought were side effects of Asacol. My B12 was so deleted that it almost wasn't there and she was surprised I was walking around. I got a B12 shot and another one the next week and another one the next week and now it looks like I'll have to do it every month. (I'll probably do it myself, though, rather than going in to the doc's office every month.)

Well, guess what I found out? The only place in your whole body that absorbs Vitamin B12 is the last part of your upper intestine -- and mine's gone! No wonder I was low on it. My son asked me about taking it orally and I explained that I can't -- because I can't absorb it.

I was having real trouble with fatigue, insomnia, the herky-jerky spasms at night keeping me awake, and was really exhausted and kinda depressed about the whole thing. No energy, no enthusiasm. It wasn't an overnight cure or anything, but I can sure tell now when I get low on it.

It's a smart doc who orders the lab test for B12, and if you're having trouble with your upper intestine (or if a chunk of it's missing like in my case) then get your doc to order this and check it out. Just keep in mind that taking pills might not do you any good.

Oh, and regarding the iron reference below, I don't have to mess with THAT anymore (pronounced hysterectomy) but for YEARS I had to do monthly iron shots because I couldn't absorb that either.

Question for Kelly... new
      #91912 - 07/20/04 05:14 PM
Vicam

Thanks for your info The part of the intestine that absorbs B12, is that visible during a colonoscopy do you know? Because my colonoscopy came back negative (i.e. no problems) but they're looking into doing a small bowel follow-thru to see if there are problems elsewhere. I thought maybe the poor vitamin absorbtion might have to do with that.

And you can do the shots yourself? That would be really good, my clinic is a 20 minute drive and I just don't see the point just to get a shot...I'll have to ask about that.

Thanks,
Kelly

Re: Answers for Kelly from Kelly new
      #92094 - 07/21/04 11:51 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

"The part of the intestine that absorbs B12, is that visible during a colonoscopy"

Nope. My colonoscopy results came back FINE. Endoscopy too. The lower part of the upper intestine can't be really investigated either way. Good news is that the small-bowel follow-through sees it just FINE, and it's far less bothersome to do than the colonoscopy or endoscopy.

And you can do the shots yourself?

I did my own iron shots for about ten years. If this doc won't give me the scrip for the needles and B12 then I'll find a doc who will.

Re: Answers for Kelly from Kelly new
      #92104 - 07/21/04 12:47 PM
Vicam

Hey Kelly,

Thanks so much for your answers, I really appreciate it. I'm sorry to hear that you were so sick before they figured it out. If you don't mind me asking, what were your chief complaints prior to them diagnosing it as Crohn's?

Kelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5640 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1362

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review