All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Post-traumatic stress disorder
      #91508 - 07/19/04 11:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

After an hour with the therapist, she explained the patterns to me, and said that, without question, I have PTSD. I almost cried... from relief. I'm not crazy. (!!!) I don't know why I never made the connection, but I didn't. It makes total sense now that I think about it.

I know I still have something wrong with my insides, but just having someone take the constant anxiety seriously is a load off. I'm going to see her twice a week for the next couple months, and she's going to help me with coping techniques and accupressure. I still may end up having to be on medication, but that's up to the doctor I see on the 2nd.

CathUK - thank you for encouraging me to go to a therapist! I honestly didn't think she was going to be much help, or that she'd just refer me elsewhere... I never imagined I'd walk out of there feeling so much better, just for having talked to someone (and had them take me seriously, and say something beyond "Stop worrying", which is less than helpful!)

Edited by atomic rose (07/19/04 11:55 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Casey, so happy you have found some relief ! -nt- new
      #91510 - 07/19/04 11:48 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

Re: Post-traumatic stress disorder new
      #91511 - 07/19/04 11:51 AM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

Casey...I am so happy that you are feeling better knowing that someone will be able to help you get through this. It sounds like you've been through a lot and although we're not professionals, we're all here anytime you need us!!! good luck and keep smiling!

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

#91516 - 07/19/04 12:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That is great to hear you had a good therapy session and will get relief! How wonderful to go to someone that makes sense and you can trust. Best wishes!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#91520 - 07/19/04 12:08 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi Casey
I am happy to hear that you were finally diagnosed. It must feel good to be taken seriously. Good luck!

#91526 - 07/19/04 12:24 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey Casey,
What a relief that really must have been for you. Is the PTSD from anything in particular or just an accumulation of things?
So glad everything seems to be slowly working itself out!

Abuse new
      #91529 - 07/19/04 12:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My first marriage was abusive in pretty much every way possible. I was very young when I got married (19), and the therapist pointed out that your body and mind aren't fully "adult" until you're in your mid-20s... anything traumatic is going to have an effect on you anyway, but during those "formative years", the effect is especially bad. I didn't see it till she pointed out the patterns, but I haven't reacted the same way to stress since.

I don't really feel better *yet*, but I feel like something about this finally makes sense and is within my control, ya know?

Re: Abuse new
      #91533 - 07/19/04 12:49 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Oh, wow. That's tough. I know you don't feel better yet, of course it can't happen that quickly - I'm the first one to say that to people who think I can just miraculously be cured or something. Uh, no.
But its good that at least you have a starting point now.

Re: hoorah!!!! new
      #91552 - 07/19/04 01:29 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

:-)

That's the best news I've had all week - I had my fingers crossed for you this morning! I was really worried that I'd given you bad advice, but like you say, being treated like an intelligent, sane adult rather than written off by endless doctors is a fantastic feeling.

You'd better get knitting that jumper, because it sounds like you're on the beginning of getting your life back!!

Casey, glad you had a good experience! --nt-- new
      #91553 - 07/19/04 01:32 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2758

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review