All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Post-traumatic stress disorder
      #91508 - 07/19/04 11:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

After an hour with the therapist, she explained the patterns to me, and said that, without question, I have PTSD. I almost cried... from relief. I'm not crazy. (!!!) I don't know why I never made the connection, but I didn't. It makes total sense now that I think about it.

I know I still have something wrong with my insides, but just having someone take the constant anxiety seriously is a load off. I'm going to see her twice a week for the next couple months, and she's going to help me with coping techniques and accupressure. I still may end up having to be on medication, but that's up to the doctor I see on the 2nd.

CathUK - thank you for encouraging me to go to a therapist! I honestly didn't think she was going to be much help, or that she'd just refer me elsewhere... I never imagined I'd walk out of there feeling so much better, just for having talked to someone (and had them take me seriously, and say something beyond "Stop worrying", which is less than helpful!)

Edited by atomic rose (07/19/04 11:55 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Casey, so happy you have found some relief ! -nt- new
      #91510 - 07/19/04 11:48 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

Re: Post-traumatic stress disorder new
      #91511 - 07/19/04 11:51 AM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

Casey...I am so happy that you are feeling better knowing that someone will be able to help you get through this. It sounds like you've been through a lot and although we're not professionals, we're all here anytime you need us!!! good luck and keep smiling!

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

#91516 - 07/19/04 12:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That is great to hear you had a good therapy session and will get relief! How wonderful to go to someone that makes sense and you can trust. Best wishes!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#91520 - 07/19/04 12:08 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi Casey
I am happy to hear that you were finally diagnosed. It must feel good to be taken seriously. Good luck!

#91526 - 07/19/04 12:24 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey Casey,
What a relief that really must have been for you. Is the PTSD from anything in particular or just an accumulation of things?
So glad everything seems to be slowly working itself out!

Abuse new
      #91529 - 07/19/04 12:31 PM
atomic rose

My first marriage was abusive in pretty much every way possible. I was very young when I got married (19), and the therapist pointed out that your body and mind aren't fully "adult" until you're in your mid-20s... anything traumatic is going to have an effect on you anyway, but during those "formative years", the effect is especially bad. I didn't see it till she pointed out the patterns, but I haven't reacted the same way to stress since.

I don't really feel better *yet*, but I feel like something about this finally makes sense and is within my control, ya know?

Re: Abuse new
      #91533 - 07/19/04 12:49 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Oh, wow. That's tough. I know you don't feel better yet, of course it can't happen that quickly - I'm the first one to say that to people who think I can just miraculously be cured or something. Uh, no.
But its good that at least you have a starting point now.

Re: hoorah!!!! new
      #91552 - 07/19/04 01:29 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

:-)

That's the best news I've had all week - I had my fingers crossed for you this morning! I was really worried that I'd given you bad advice, but like you say, being treated like an intelligent, sane adult rather than written off by endless doctors is a fantastic feeling.

You'd better get knitting that jumper, because it sounds like you're on the beginning of getting your life back!!

Casey, glad you had a good experience! --nt-- new
      #91553 - 07/19/04 01:32 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Casey new
      #91565 - 07/19/04 01:52 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

As much as it probably sucks having PTSD, I do see what you mean by being happy having a diagnosis.
At least now you know what to fix and work on.
Nice to hear things are actually going your way after all the problems you have been having!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Abuse new
      #91591 - 07/19/04 02:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm so glad you're going up hill. Best wishes for a very fulfilling recovery.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#91628 - 07/19/04 06:54 PM
LauraSue2

Reged: 07/18/04

Hallelujah, Casey! That is great! Let the healing begin!!

(Yeah, it's really me, goofed up my login.)

Re: Casey !!! PTSD new
      #91670 - 07/19/04 09:54 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

HI Casey, my dearest friend also suffers from ptsd. This can be a devastating disorder to live with. Its great that you seem to have found a competant therapist, keep going, you are going to learn so many tools to help you make it through each day. Just knowing the diagnosis is half the battle. I will be thinking of you and praying for you honey!

Thanks for the kind words, I am feeling better mentally, the tummy thing is going to take a few days but I will get there. I wished you lived close to me so we could go to a few garage sales.

Great! new
      #91685 - 07/19/04 11:11 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Well, the trauma isn't great news, but I'm so happy for you that you got a real diagnosis and cause for hope!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#92103 - 07/21/04 12:29 PM
MLB

Reged: 07/21/04

Hope you don't mind this suggestion. I felt compelled to respond.
I had PTSD after 9/11 (I'm a New Yorker)-- I say "had" because it was alleviated by a psych. technique called EMDR. You can email me directly if you'd like (mikkiface@hotmail.com), as it's a personal matter and not related to IBS. Either way, congrats on taking care of yourself. Best wishes to you.

#92107 - 07/21/04 01:06 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Casey -
I'm so glad this is all working out for you, seeing doctors and all.
I was just reading about PTSD, and do you think you should ask about going on Zoloft? I was reading about it too, because I want to start taking it....and it talks about PTSD. Just a thought....maybe it would help?

Anyways, I hope you're feeling better! Putting a name to something really helps, doesn't it?

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#92118 - 07/21/04 01:23 PM
atomic rose

Putting a name to it definitely helps. I don't think it's my only problem - I had anxiety problems before the trauma ever happened - but it's a good start. The therapist can't prescribe anything - she and I are just focusing on managing without meds. She's going to forward my information to the doctor I'm seeing on the 2nd, though, and *she* might suggest the meds.

I'm not familiar with any of them, so thanks for the Zoloft suggestion... I'm going to do some reading on that one.

Thanks!

#92120 - 07/21/04 01:25 PM
atomic rose

I don't mind at all!

I'm sorry to hear about your PTSD/9-11 experience, but glad to hear you refer to it in the past tense. I'm interested in EMDR - I've seen it mentioned elsewhere online before - I'm not sure if medicaid will cover it, but learning more about it definitely can't hurt. My email's in my profile, too (click the username, above my picture), in case you read this before I have a chance to email. Thanks again and best wishes to you, too!

Re: PSTD..been there! new
      #92125 - 07/21/04 01:32 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Hey Casey!! I am so glad you talked to someone and got some results!! I was diagnosed with PSTD 4 years ago due to death and abuse from my past. Therapy helps so much!! I also took zoloft for 4 years and it saved my life! Ever need to talk, I am here! Good luck and congrats to getting on the path to recovery!

--------------------
~Wookie

#92138 - 07/21/04 02:04 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Ok cool. Yes read about it. That's what I was trying to do with my therapist - manage without meds. I told him I didn't want to take ANYTHING. I tried for a few months, and it seems like it's getting worse. I think I need a med to 'get over the hump', and then maybe I can go off of it.
I had xanax, and I was told to take it awhile ago but never did. SO...with all these problems sleeping, I broke down and started taking it at night. Now I'm worried about being addicted....

Anyways, I'm going off on a tangent - so yeah, look up Zoloft if you want to - there are tons of others, and I know everyone else is better at explaining them. But I'll let you know how I do on it after a month or so! (I think I'll start on Monday).

Good luck!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Cara new
      #92227 - 07/22/04 07:07 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

I just wanted to give you some more info on the zoloft. As you know, I am an fan! I understand you are starting it Monday and that is great! You may not need it forever but it may help you over that hump like it did for me! I wanted to tell you to be patient with it and give it a month. Most antidepressants have strange side effects that last at least 2 weeks to a month. Don't quit taking it though because it WILL pass and you will feel relief! I almost stopped taking it because I was fed up with side effects but my best friend encouraged me to keep taking it for at least one month. I am so glad I had her to encourage me!! By the time I tried zoloft, I had already tried others so I had no side effects. The first one I started with though was celexa and it made me much better but I had to get over that month of side effects. I just wanted you to be prepared and send some encouragement your way! I am here if you need to ask any questions or just need encouragement! Relief is just around the corner!

--------------------
~Wookie

#92232 - 07/22/04 07:20 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi casey,

Congrats on your diagnosis...

I am in graduate school studying psychology.. (child psych), but I DO know alot of anxiety disorders, and PTSD. If you have any questions about anything, let me know and I may be able to help.. (haha i'm not a professional yet, but i've been doing it for four years).

As for drugs I have no clue about that, I specialize in therapy, and testing as opposed to medicating, but I'm sure others may have some clue, especially your other doctor.

I hope therapy helps, I obviously believe in it or I wouldn't be studying it.

--------------------

Re: Post-traumatic stress disorder - Actually.... new
      #92234 - 07/22/04 07:34 AM
atomic rose

I'm going back to the therapist today at 1, and I do have a couple questions/whatever that I'll be bringing up with her, but since I know you're around and you offered, I wouldn't mind getting your take on it too.

My anxiety problems actually started when I was a kid. There's no doubt in my mind that they got a lot worse after my first marriage, but they've pretty much always been there. I remember being 8 or 9 and irrationally afraid of food making me sick, even if I didn't feel sick at the time. That doesn't rule out the PTSD diagnosis, does it? I mean, it's possible to have more than one anxiety disorder layered on top of each other, right?

I'm thinking it probably doesn't make a *whole* lot of difference, because my symptoms are the same no matter how you look at it, and the therapist (at least so far) is going to give me ways to cope with those symptoms. But if it seems like PTSD isn't the problem, I want to say so.

Now I don't remember what the other question was. Haha, it's early for me. I think I just need to find some more good information online about PTSD and anxiety disorders in general. The therapist didn't have anything to give me at my last visit (that may be different today). I think my eating disorder is stemming from the anxiety too (well, I know it is).

If you have any input, thanks!

Re: Post-traumatic stress disorder - Actually.... new
      #92336 - 07/22/04 01:29 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi,

I think you've probably already gone to your doctors apt, but I figured I'd add my input since you asked...

first of all, it is definitly possible, and very common to suffer from more than one anxiety problem at a time.

Basically, my speciality, is childhood anxiety disorders, and it definitly sounds like you suffered from one as a child.. children basically suffer from disorders like seperation anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorders, but it is also common for kids just have to regular old anxiety.

Anyways, as for the PTSD, i'm sure your therapist knows what she's talking about and was right to diagnose you with that.. however, I doubt that your PTSD is severe. Usually people with PTSD avoid situations etc.. and considering you've had other relationships since, and have continued loving, and trusting others in relationships, (this I am assuming, I mean maybe its been really hard for you to trust in new relationships and enter new situations that you are unsure of with men) I think youv'e definitly done some recovering on your own. so thats definitly good.. but i'd talk to her about your anxiety since you were a child as well.. because that may be a big issue as well.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3010 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2775

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review