All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Post-traumatic stress disorder new
      #92138 - 07/21/04 02:04 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Ok cool. Yes read about it. That's what I was trying to do with my therapist - manage without meds. I told him I didn't want to take ANYTHING. I tried for a few months, and it seems like it's getting worse. I think I need a med to 'get over the hump', and then maybe I can go off of it.
I had xanax, and I was told to take it awhile ago but never did. SO...with all these problems sleeping, I broke down and started taking it at night. Now I'm worried about being addicted....

Anyways, I'm going off on a tangent - so yeah, look up Zoloft if you want to - there are tons of others, and I know everyone else is better at explaining them. But I'll let you know how I do on it after a month or so! (I think I'll start on Monday).

Good luck!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cara new
      #92227 - 07/22/04 07:07 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

I just wanted to give you some more info on the zoloft. As you know, I am an fan! I understand you are starting it Monday and that is great! You may not need it forever but it may help you over that hump like it did for me! I wanted to tell you to be patient with it and give it a month. Most antidepressants have strange side effects that last at least 2 weeks to a month. Don't quit taking it though because it WILL pass and you will feel relief! I almost stopped taking it because I was fed up with side effects but my best friend encouraged me to keep taking it for at least one month. I am so glad I had her to encourage me!! By the time I tried zoloft, I had already tried others so I had no side effects. The first one I started with though was celexa and it made me much better but I had to get over that month of side effects. I just wanted you to be prepared and send some encouragement your way! I am here if you need to ask any questions or just need encouragement! Relief is just around the corner!

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: Post-traumatic stress disorder new
      #92232 - 07/22/04 07:20 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi casey,

Congrats on your diagnosis...

I am in graduate school studying psychology.. (child psych), but I DO know alot of anxiety disorders, and PTSD. If you have any questions about anything, let me know and I may be able to help.. (haha i'm not a professional yet, but i've been doing it for four years).

As for drugs I have no clue about that, I specialize in therapy, and testing as opposed to medicating, but I'm sure others may have some clue, especially your other doctor.

I hope therapy helps, I obviously believe in it or I wouldn't be studying it.

--------------------

Re: Post-traumatic stress disorder - Actually.... new
      #92234 - 07/22/04 07:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm going back to the therapist today at 1, and I do have a couple questions/whatever that I'll be bringing up with her, but since I know you're around and you offered, I wouldn't mind getting your take on it too.

My anxiety problems actually started when I was a kid. There's no doubt in my mind that they got a lot worse after my first marriage, but they've pretty much always been there. I remember being 8 or 9 and irrationally afraid of food making me sick, even if I didn't feel sick at the time. That doesn't rule out the PTSD diagnosis, does it? I mean, it's possible to have more than one anxiety disorder layered on top of each other, right?

I'm thinking it probably doesn't make a *whole* lot of difference, because my symptoms are the same no matter how you look at it, and the therapist (at least so far) is going to give me ways to cope with those symptoms. But if it seems like PTSD isn't the problem, I want to say so.

Now I don't remember what the other question was. Haha, it's early for me. I think I just need to find some more good information online about PTSD and anxiety disorders in general. The therapist didn't have anything to give me at my last visit (that may be different today). I think my eating disorder is stemming from the anxiety too (well, I know it is).

If you have any input, thanks!

Re: Post-traumatic stress disorder - Actually.... new
      #92336 - 07/22/04 01:29 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi,

I think you've probably already gone to your doctors apt, but I figured I'd add my input since you asked...

first of all, it is definitly possible, and very common to suffer from more than one anxiety problem at a time.

Basically, my speciality, is childhood anxiety disorders, and it definitly sounds like you suffered from one as a child.. children basically suffer from disorders like seperation anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorders, but it is also common for kids just have to regular old anxiety.

Anyways, as for the PTSD, i'm sure your therapist knows what she's talking about and was right to diagnose you with that.. however, I doubt that your PTSD is severe. Usually people with PTSD avoid situations etc.. and considering you've had other relationships since, and have continued loving, and trusting others in relationships, (this I am assuming, I mean maybe its been really hard for you to trust in new relationships and enter new situations that you are unsure of with men) I think youv'e definitly done some recovering on your own. so thats definitly good.. but i'd talk to her about your anxiety since you were a child as well.. because that may be a big issue as well.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2899

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review