All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Three Months Into Diet and Little Improvement
      #91499 - 07/19/04 11:07 AM
stevan

Reged: 04/26/04

I have been on the diet for the past three months, with occasional lapses due to dining out with friends or at their homes. Often I feel better for a day or two, but then it returns, often compromising my lifestyle and making me insecure about having the energy to work as hard as I would like to do. I also include Acacia as part of my regimen.

My question is whether it is unusual to have such acute symptoms after three months. I know Heather's book talks about the first year of the condition.

What have all of you found with regard to length of time before lengthy, significant improvement is seen?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't know much but... new
      #91522 - 07/19/04 12:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I can tell you for me I only had improvement when I went more strict and counted my fat grams and I have to have tea often after dinner, and exercise helps. But I am not cured- heat bothers me and stress and eating/drinking cold stuff and I still get C especially after D even if mild. But for me the results were immediate -I felt better right away and just kept stabilizing. I did not feel better when I first tried the diet back in April but was not very strict then. Hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

a few days new
      #91527 - 07/19/04 12:25 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am ibs c and it only takes me a few days to start getting stabilised but i HAVE to be strict and also i don't do heathers diet.....i have a different one...but you have to focus....good luck!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Hmm... new
      #91540 - 07/19/04 12:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

How much acacia are you taking per day? If you haven't worked up to a full dose (9-12g) a day, that might be part of it. And have you tried any other SFS? I know that some people have problems with the different fibers... I couldn't take Citrucel, I know some people can't use Metamucil, and I've even heard of people not being able to stomach the Acacia. Is it possible that that's bothering you?

I'm going to assume you've actually had an IBS diagnosis, with all the tests involved, that ruled out anything more serious.

I felt somewhat better after about a week on the diet, but it's been 7 weeks, and I'm still not stable. I can pinpoint my problem, though - I'm still at a small SFS dose (6g/day) and I don't eat enough (long story). I also found that exercise is a trigger for me! I can do some nice slow-paced walking, but even yoga is too much for me right now.

Just some thoughts...

Re: a few days new
      #91548 - 07/19/04 01:18 PM
carey28

Reged: 07/09/04
Loc: Boston, MA

dalia, what sort of diet do you do? I am C also and am having a terrible time!

Also, to all, most people seem to say that they slowly add in different foods to their diet to see if they can handle it, but what I am looking to know is what is it that you can eat while you are adding these foods to test? I am C so defintiley need insoluables, any suggestions? I find myself getting frustrated because its not working and then I go and eat something 'bad' because I get fed up! My biggest problem is the bloating, it is so painful, i have been eating fennel seeds like crazy too and not much of a difference...any suggestions?!! thanks to all!!

I thought carrots were soluble -nt new
      #91592 - 07/19/04 02:44 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

They are, but they also have some insoluble! -nt- new
      #91593 - 07/19/04 02:46 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

food test new
      #91594 - 07/19/04 02:46 PM
Little Minnie

From what I understand you can have rice and chicken to start any food test. I don't know details beyond that. If you are trying to see if you have intolerances you then add one thing back and see what happens. That works for dairy, fructose, gluten and sorbitol. That's all I know.

--------------------

Are they safe then? new
      #91595 - 07/19/04 02:48 PM
Little Minnie

I eat baby carrots all the time and I thought they were on the soluble list. Not that I think I am having problems but now I am confused.

--------------------

Re: Are they safe then? new
      #91621 - 07/19/04 05:22 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yes, carrots are on the soluble list because they have much more soluble than insoluble fiber. Just because things are on the soluble list doesn't mean they don't contain any insoluble. Does that make sense? Anyway, because of the high amount of soluble fiber they're one of the safest veggies, at least for me! They're one of my staples.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Phew new
      #91640 - 07/19/04 07:18 PM
Little Minnie

Ok thanks. I sort of spassed. I eat many pounds a week. I think they are great since they are so 'classically fibrous' that for a C person they must be good and fat free too. Phew.

--------------------

For CAREY!!! new
      #91693 - 07/20/04 12:47 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey Carey
the diet I do is one I got from a naturopath 7 years into my ibs suffering. i was 15 when it first started. my parents are clueless about health issues, and my mum did try a few things, but basically after the gastroenterologist couldn't help me and said it was in my head (bastarrrrrdddd :-)) my family just kind of abandoned the issue and so did i in the sense that i just learned to live with doing little black plops perhaps once a week. looking back now i actually have no idea how i managed...but i was a teenager....i get so sad when i think of how lonely it actually was and only now can i cry about it. the longest i ever went was a month.
anyway, towards my 19th birthday i overheard someone say that white bread etc was constipating so i decided to give up white wheat flour. my symptoms improved somewhat and i didn't go back to wheat flour in any form till i saw a naturopath at the age of 21. at this point the disease was beginning to affect my mental health and i was getting panic attacks and social anxiety disorder. my boyfriend at the time took me to an incredible iridologist (reads the patterns in the irises of your eyes and tells you your inherent and current health problems)...it was the most amazing experience of my life...i sobbed as he told me it wasn't in my head.
anyway, i realise i am rambling!!...he put me on a very strict diet. i ONLY have wholegrains, i dont touch white products...i eat very light in the evening...and for me food combination is a big as a tummy sin as the kind of food i eat...if i eat too many foods together...i suffer...its such a complicated set of rules i have developed from the initial diet given by my doctor...i could write a book!! but if you want help, you can email me at dalia_yael@hotmail.com and i would be very happy to try and help you!!!
love XXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Three Months Into Diet and Little Improvement new
      #91696 - 07/20/04 01:48 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

I have discovered that for me, it isn't just changing my diet that is helping. Along with diet, I had to make a few lifestyle changes as well. I absolutly cannot be around smokers for too long. The smoke seems to trigger attacks for me. I cannot excercise too hard. Any pressure on the abdominal area seems to cause problems. Heat and humidity are really bad triggers for me. There are other things too. You just have to be patient and give yourself time to improve.
With me, this problem did not develope over night, and it is not going to be fixed that quickly either.
On a positive note, I am improving, slowly but surely. Don't give up, you will get better.

Re: Three Months Into Diet and Little Improvement new
      #91839 - 07/20/04 03:02 PM
stevan

Reged: 04/26/04

Leslierf,

Thanks so much for your response. It gives me much support.

Stevan

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4710 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1270

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review