Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Cara, this is what helped me new
      #91761 - 07/20/04 09:45 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Hi Cara,

As you know, we are all different. But I wanted to share my experience in hopes that it could help you in some way. I was diagnosed with what they call major depression 4 years ago. Paxil was the first thing they put me on and I woke up and couldn't see my own reflection in the morning. That is a RARE side effect..blurred vision. Zoloft is what saved my life! And another drug called trazadone for night. Trazadone is a very mild anti-depressant, so mild, that it can't treat depression/anxiety alone. I have another friend that is like you...lots of anxiety attacks. He started zoloft and no more anxiety!! He said he would be happy to do a commercial for them for free he was so impressed..it saved his life! This guy was the most out going person I have ever met and the anxiety got so bad that he wouldn't even leave his home in fear of having an attack. Zoloft gave him his quality of life back. My little sis took paxil and it was super hard for her to get off of. Her marriage suffered, thankfully her husband really did love her. I quit zoloft after 4 years a few months ago and had no problems getting off of it AT ALL. If I were you, I would try zoloft! It is great for anxiety and depression. It makes most people sleepy, by the way, so most take it at night. I hope this helps you!! It is just like IBS, you have to try until you get it right!

--------------------
~Wookie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zoloft or Paxil? new
      #91763 - 07/20/04 09:51 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Cara,

My personal experiance with paxil is that it is NOT very good stuff!!! My husband was on it for a long, long time. He had the harders time getting off of that stuff. So did my two sisters!

Almost everyone I talk to about paxil hates it. It is very addictive, or should I say you have MANY side effects trying to get off. They say " paxil is non addictive"!!! I don't believe that for a minute!!!! It was a nightmare for my husband and sisters to get off that stuff.

I would go with the Zoloft over Paxil for sure!!!

Hope that helps! Take care, and good luck with your sleeping issues. That must be pretty hard. Can you fall asleep during the day? How much sleep do you get?

Ok, I better run!

--------------------

Re: Cara, this is what helped me new
      #91789 - 07/20/04 11:09 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Thank you so much. I am definately going to try Zoloft. If for some reason it doesn't work with me, I'll look into something else. There's been good things said about paxil, but then there's been REALLY bad things said, so I don't like it. The main thing to me is getting off the drug - so it sounds like Zoloft is smarter.

Thank you!!

--------------------
~Cara~

#91791 - 07/20/04 11:13 AM
Cara4503

Thanks Steph. I'm going to try Zoloft. A lot of people have said that about paxil - that it's hard to quit taking it. I have an addictive personality, so that scares me.

I couldn't fall asleep during the day - I've never been able to take naps or anything. Seems like I'm always busy anyways.
Some nights I can finally fall asleep for a few hours. Some nights I swear I sleep for like 10 minutes total. Last night my husband had to work overnight, and I was all worried about the sod I had just put down in our yard...I took small doses of Xanax all night, it was awful.

I hope Zoloft helps me with anxiety at night.

Thanks for your response!!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#91792 - 07/20/04 11:17 AM
Cara4503

I am just so relieved that there IS something I can take while I'm pregnant. I kept thinking - isn't it worse to be pregnant and have an anxiety attack? What's worse on the baby - an attack? Or medicine? I don't know....so I'm really glad there's something safe I can take. I would rather take nothing, of course, but you gotta do what you gotta do for yourself, right?
I am a little scared of paxil now from what others have said - but I have heard good stories about it too. I also have a friend who's on it for life basically, so she's not worried about getting off of it...but I don't want to be on something forever if I don't have to be.

--------------------
~Cara~

Neither...in my case new
      #91793 - 07/20/04 11:20 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

I'm on amitriptyline. I started at 10mg and now I am at 20mg. I don't know about its effects on depression but I can tell you, from a very anxious insomniac, that it has helped me tremendously at night. I generally take it at 7pm and aim to be in bed b/w 10-10:30pm. It has a very soothing calming effect. It makes me slightly drowsy, I get in bed and listen to my hypno tape and I am out. I used to get very anxious around bedtime and would sit up at night crying cuz I couldn't sleep..no more.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1089 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8703

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review