Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: A question about stability new
      #91094 - 07/17/04 08:19 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Dear Casey,

I am soooo sorry you feel so bad. As you can see, many people care for you and we all feel bad when you do to.

I'm with Doe, I have to eat many times a day to keep my stomach happy. I am 5'4", weigh 105 lbs. and eat constantly. I eat three good meals a day (SFS before each meal) and snack at least every hour and half in between (rice cakes, bread, chex, cheerios etc.). It was difficult for me to get to this point because like you, I haven't felt hungry in a very long time. I make myself eat even when I don't want to. When my IBS was very bad I dropped under 98 lbs. and my husband forced me to eat more often - crackers, toast, rice, etc. - and this actually helped a great deal.

I've always had a high metabolism but it evened out as I got older (I'm 40 now and weighed 115 before the IBS got bad) and for the last 5 years I had to start watching what I ate. The great thing about Heather's diet besides the IBS benefits is that it is so nutritious, healthy and weight stabilizing.

I hope you feel better soon and that today is a better day. You are one of the first to help others when they are feeling bad and you are quite a special lady!

Take good care of yourself and let me know how you are.

Kim

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hope for the future new
      #91100 - 07/17/04 08:35 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hey, Casey, darlin! Glad you're feeling better.

Just a side note on the banana thing. That may actually be a food allergy. But whether it's a true allergy or just an intolerance, you should also watch out for avocados and latex (rubber gloves at dentist gave me burning pain in my lips for two days -- they now use vinyl for me!! Oh, and diaphrams also. EWWW.)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

CASEY! new
      #91238 - 07/17/04 11:46 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i'm sorry that you're not doing well. that's not good at all. let's see what we can do to fix this!

listen, when i was really sick and out of work for a few months, i was MISERABLE and wasn't eating at all, either. terrible! what i noticed was helpful was actually concentrating on getting protein, even if it was just a few bites every few hours. make a schedule if you have to. make some rice and chicken and take a few bites as often as you can force yourself to do so. once i started concentrating on the protein, i found i had more energy. it was a nice postive cycle. i had finally decided to do the opposite of what i did when i started feeling sick (which was cut out foods and eat less frequently).

i know you're working really hard to get better. i'm really proud of you, if it doesn't sound too condescending.

so... protein. can you handle soy? there are soy protein powders at the health food stores. you can mix them in with sauces and stuff. maybe make some kind of pasta you can eat periodically and juice up the sauce with extra protein? throw some soy cheese on your bread?

speaking of bread, have you been screened for celiac? that's something that they should check if they haven't yet. i tested negative, but i still cut out wheat for a while (i concentrated on eating potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and rice as my soluble fiber bases). actually, it was a few months! i really noticed an improvement. i seem to be back on the wheat now just fine, so i don't know what that was about, whether i have a wheat intolerance or not. but it's something to look into, testing-wise.

hmm... what else?

i know you've cut all the triggers because you're hardly eating at all. have you tried fennel tea? i was downing fennel tea a lot during that time i was concentrating on upping the protein. damn, was i determined to get back to some semblance of normal! i had a cup of fennel tea in front of me at all times and i also had a hot water bottle or heating pad on my stomach most waking hours. those things helped a lot, i think. they helped relax my insides physically, but they also made me feel nice and calm. concentrate on pampering yourself! (and the protein)

also, with regards to the SFS, at the time i was doing all the stuff above, that's when i started with the acacia. i added it really slowly, but i was really regular with taking it. i never missed a dose. i was considering it my job! maybe you'll find more relief now that you're working on that?

if you need some incentive to eat more frequently, remember that Heather even says that you can feel worse if you don't have stuff in your tummy. it's important to make sure you have soluble fiber in your colon at all times. when it's full, the contractions are at least pushing something along instead of just grabbing on to nothing.

so, your homework: grab some fennel and make a lot of tea and go eat something! please report back with your progress. i already told Kelly i want her to gain a few pounds before Fall. now i'm telling you the same thing. don't make me come up there and hurt you!

--------------------

Re: CASEY! new
      #91258 - 07/18/04 06:58 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm actually feeling a lot better today, after 2 days of actually EATING. Go figure. Heh.

You definitely have a good point about the protein. I'm trying to at least eat some chicken every day - I noticed the same thing you did, that a little protein goes a long way to making me feel SO much better almost immediately. I'm kind of afraid of soy right now. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but I've had "bad days" the day after any time I'm tried to eat something soy. (But I've been eating soy for years with no problems, so how does that make any sense? Is it in my head?)

I haven't been tested for celiac yet, but I will be. I'm kind of curious about celiac, though - if I had it, wouldn't wheat products always or almost-always bother me? I had worried that it might be that too, and when I first started the diet, other than crackers, I didn't eat anything wheat, but now that I'm eating a little more regularly again, I have no problems with it. Hmm.

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement and suggestions (and NO, you didn't sound condescending!). It's awful that so many of us have gone through a similar situation, but it makes me feel a little better to see that others have gotten over it and eat like normal human beings again. You won't have to come up here to hurt anyone, I promise. LOL!

Good for you, Casey new
      #91260 - 07/18/04 07:34 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Casey

I'm so happy to hear that you are feeling better. See, you do feel better after eating something. GREAT!!!!! I bet you are getting a little strength back, too, huh???
Keep up the good work.

Barbie

--------------------

whew! new
      #91295 - 07/18/04 10:17 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i'm so glad that you're feeling a little spunkier with some food in ya. i think when some of us get that terribly sick we get so gun-shy that we forget the whole point of eating is to keep us alive. or, at least, i think i forgot that. i was so shocked at how much better i felt when i was eating. boy, that's a simplistic thing... you'd think i'd remember it, now wouldn't you!?

as for the soy--- i dunno. i usually end up doing better with it if i have it with a soluble fiber. maybe that's the key? who knows.

breadwise, i think the whole wheat intolerance thing is more insidious than any other food allergy thing. i noticed that cutting out wheat gradually made a difference. it wasn't something where if i ate a bagel i felt sick right away. i don't know how much you know about celiac, but if you're bored and looking for some reading material, check out celiac.com. not by any stretch of the imagination am i suggesting that you have wheat issues, i'm just mentioning the site since it's so good and we're on the subject. anyway, from understanding the mechanics of how celiac works, i believe that wheat is a slow-damage sort of thing for those who can't tolerate it.

enough babbling. i'm going to go check out the movie schedule and see what's out there. have a good day, Casey!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5438 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3845

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review