All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
To Sara... new
      #90891 - 07/16/04 12:30 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My email's in my profile. (Just click on my username, above my picture.) I'm not much of a phone person, heh.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So sorry Casey! new
      #90896 - 07/16/04 12:48 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

I just hate that for you!! But I wanted to add that keeping my tummy full of something is always good for me. An empty stomach causes me IBS trouble. I just eat small healthy things every 2-3 hours. But I am a Cer so I don't know if there is a difference between the two. I would increase the dosage of SFS too, but that is just me. I hope you get releif soon sweetie!

--------------------
~Wookie

Geez, Casey new
      #91021 - 07/16/04 06:30 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

It makes me so sad that you are feeling so low.

I don't like to see you get down on yourself like that. I agree with the others that you need to eat a little something.. Maybe several small meals throught the day. Is there anything you like that agrees with you like maybe toast & jelly or peanut butter or graham cracker or chicken noodle soup or just a little something to put in your tummy. I think you would feel better. You are just so weak you can't think straight.

If I were there I would give you a great big hug and I bet you would feel lots better. Now, come on and let's see a smile. Now, doesn't that make you feel better.

I have great hope that you will be getting better very soon. Remember we are always here for you.

Barbie

--------------------

Aww, Barbie new
      #91025 - 07/16/04 06:56 PM
atomic rose

I smiled! I smiled! And I do feel a little better.

I forced myself to eat today. Still just tiny bits every couple hours, but it's better than I've been doing. I think I feel better. And ya know, chicken noodle soup is exactly what I went for first, heh.

*hugs* to you... thank you for the cheering-up.

Re: Casey... new
      #91026 - 07/16/04 06:58 PM
atomic rose

Thank you for the good thoughts. Every time I have a day like this, I'm SO thankful that I found this board... there's nothing like input and support from people who really understand. Thanks!

Karen... new
      #91027 - 07/16/04 07:01 PM
atomic rose

I'm sorry to hear you aren't doing so well either... I hope you're feeling a little better by now.

I did force myself to eat today, even if only some chicken noodle soup, crackers, mashed potatoes, and rice. It isn't very appetizing, and that's probably part of the problem. But my energy level's up a little and I'm thinking a little more clearly, and I know you're right - not eating is just making the problem worse. Looks like I'm going to have to get used to forcing myself to eat, too.

Anyway, you hang in there too, and I hope you're doing better!

Re: A question about stability new
      #91029 - 07/16/04 07:02 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Casey,

I'm so sorry you're feeling so lousy...you sound a lot like me, I've been really faithful to the diet but just cannot seem to stabilize. You mentioned a doctor's appointment...have you been "officially" diagnosed with IBS yet? Or are you just assuming that's what you have?

Small meals is probably a really good idea, and I've found that taking a probiotic has really helped me. Sadly, I don't have a lot of suggestions because I'm in the same boat, the weight is just falling off me. I try and just squeeze something small in whenever I can.

Do you have any sort of painkiller you could try? Even just regular tylenol? Maybe it would take the edge of the cramping a bit and allow you to eat a little more?

I feel for ya...I really hope you feel better soon
Kelly

Re: A question about stability new
      #91032 - 07/16/04 07:32 PM
atomic rose

Hey Kelly,

I know. Every time I read one of your posts, I think, gosh, she sounds a lot like me. I think I whine more than you do, though. LOL I don't seem to have the problems with pain that you're having right now.

Here's where I get all embarassed, but yes, at this point I'm kind of assuming I have IBS. I haven't been diagnosed yet. All my life, any doctor I've seen has told me that it's all in my head, so I'm hoping this next try will be different. I decided to try the diet because I had actually done it once before, years ago, and it worked WONDERS. Back then, I had just been diagnosed with gallstones, and my GI doc urged me not to have surgery, because I was very obese. He recommended a low-fat diet... I did it, the weight came off, the gallbladder settled down, and the D/C/nausea problems virtually went away. When I started having symptoms again, I figured it couldn't hurt to try eating like this again... and it *can't* hurt, it just doesn't seem to be helping as quickly as I think it should.

Now that you know my life story... heh.

I forced myself to eat today, and other than feeling incredibly full, I feel better than I have in at least a week. It's obvious that I can't wait for myself to "feel like eating", I just have to make myself eat. I'm not having more pain when I do eat, I just start to get afraid of food and avoid it as much as possible. But I will try some Aleve for the cramping next time, I think.

Thanks, and I hope you're feeling better soon too.

Re: Hope for the future new
      #91074 - 07/16/04 11:51 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I really hope you are feeling a bit better today. My friend was just like you three years ago. She had struggled with IBS and literally became afraid to eat - and doctors just kept saying she was anorexic. She did get over it though - the other day I went round to her house and found her tucking in to a tub of ice-cream!!!

Personally I find that I become so scared to try something new it actually makes me sick even though there is nothing in it to act a trigger. Hence an all night panic attack once because there was a tiny bit of cocoa powder in something!!! If you think it is going to hurrt, it generally will, as you tense up and clench your stomach. I also find I can con myself into eating by going for a walk and eating on the run so to speak - there's nothing worse than staring a a bowl of food feeling like you are going to throw up, so this provides a distraction.

Is there a reason you can't eat bananas - they have been my complete life saver (I am IBSD/pain). I find they are the only things I can tolerate in the morning.

Give the therapy a chance - you might need other help as well though. You are bound to be feeling low just because this is a miserable way to live for so long.

Please, please, please take care - or I will be forced to send you sewing kits across the atlantic to cheer you up!

Re: Hope for the future
      #91080 - 07/17/04 06:36 AM
atomic rose

Quote:

Personally I find that I become so scared to try something new it actually makes me sick even though there is nothing in it to act a trigger. Hence an all night panic attack once because there was a tiny bit of cocoa powder in something!!

I've kind of wondered if that's part of my problem, because it seems like a lot of things I've been able to eat for years are suddenly "bothering" me - soy products, egg whites, things that don't make ANY sense, or that are in such tiny amounts in my recipes that they honestly shouldn't make that much of an immediate difference. Hmm.

I guess I'm feeling a little better today. I forced myself to eat yesterday, and I lived to tell the tale. I've definitely found that, until I get the anxiety under control, my eating habits have changed - I can't eat sitting at the table, I either have to be watching TV or on the computer, and immediately after I'm done, I have to get up and clean up, so I'm not sitting there thinking about how I feel and getting paranoid about it. Whatever works, I suppose, right?

I can't eat bananas because they give me wicked heartburn/indigestion. It doesn't matter how ripe or unripe I eat them, I end up burping banana for several days. Blech.

Anyway, thank you for the support and encouragement. I think I'm feeling a little better today. I'm hopeful about the therapy, and at least I don't have to wait too long for that appointment.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3838

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review