All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Work and IBS - Sick Days
      #90694 - 07/16/04 05:54 AM
emma-lee

Reged: 05/20/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm so worried I'm going to lose my job. I have calling sick about 12 times in the last year. And it's all because of my IBS. At work, HR doesn't recognize IBS as a problem, therefore I can't bring in a doctor's note stating that I have a stomach illness and may be off work a lot. I know IBS is stress related and this is stressing me out. What recourse do I have?

--------------------
Em*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Work and IBS - Sick Days new
      #90756 - 07/16/04 08:23 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Not sure what legal recourse you have. I work in a small office, its just me and the optometrist I work for. I can't take off because of my tummy or I would have to close the office. What I do is, revert to eating "what to eat when you can't eat anything." Take peppermints caps in the morning and around lunch. Buy those ThermaCare heating packs, you can get them at any drug store, usually by the feminine products. They are heat wraps you can put in your panties and it helps tummy relax. They sell them for menstrual cramps but work wonders for IBS. Just wear a longer shirt and no one will even notice. I know its awful to have to be at work when you are sick, wish I could help more.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#90766 - 07/16/04 08:38 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I know how you feel. I've taken about the same amount of sick days too but haven't told them that I have IBS. I just call in sick with the "stomach flu" when it's very bad.

#90769 - 07/16/04 08:44 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04

Hey there....I know that IBS isn't recognized as an illness by a lot of employers but you should ask your doctor for a note anyway.

My doctor gave me a note stating that I have "a chronic stomach illness" and I showed it to my boss so at least he knows that I'm not making it up when I call in sick....

Luckily I've only taken 4 sick days this year....but I get 10 paid sick days/year....

Good luck....

#90782 - 07/16/04 09:08 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I agree with Kimm - even if your employer doesn't "recognize" it, per se, getting a doctor's note explaining why you miss so much work is a good idea. Michele's suggestions are excellent too.

I wish I had more advice to give... unfortunately, I lost a job due to being out so much, and I don't believe there's any legal recourse for that.

From a Fellow Canadian new
      #90981 - 07/16/04 03:40 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I thought I'd give you some advice since I noticed you're in Canada too, and there's a few things that the government offers that might help you.

Unemployment insurance (EI) does offer a sick leave. You have to have it medically approved, and I don't know whether IBS is considered valid or not, but when I was looking into it it seemed like it's more dependent on what your doc says than your actual diagnosis. For example, if your doc says that you're too sick to be working, you may qualify for it. The pay isn't great, I think it's only 55% of your regular salary, but it's better than losing your job.

Other than that, maybe you could talk to your HR department and see if they have any other suggestions. Just because they don't technically recognize IBS as a valid illness shouldn't mean you should lose your job. Basically, if your doc is willing to say that your IBS is bad and not under control and that you're going to have to miss work, I think most employers won't argue with that.

Here's a link to some governmetn info: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=en/ei/types/special.shtml&hs=tyt#Sickness3

Hope that helps!
Kelly

#91206 - 07/17/04 07:39 PM
emma-lee

Reged: 05/20/04

Thanks everyone for your advice and concern. It's so nice to have this chat group with friendly and helpful people on it. I hope we all can get rid of this one day.

--------------------
Em*

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4632 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review