All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hi! I am new and I have a question??
      #90299 - 07/15/04 08:17 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi, I am new to the IBS diet and I am trying this after all else has failed to give me any relief. My doctor suggested a similiar diet but did not supply me with as much helpful advice as I have found on this site. However, I have one question that I did not see an answer for on this site.
I really love seafood and I am from Maryland, which is famous for steamed crabs with Old Bay Seasoning and we steam shrimp the same way. I always seem to have a violent attack after eating crabs or shrimp. I was wondering if spicy foods agitate IBS as well. I seem to think it is the Old Bay Seasoning. Or do some types of seafood irritate the IBS? I also have a mild hiatal hernia which my doctor says is causing me to have acid reflux which he says irritates the IBS. So maybe the spicy foods agitate my acid reflux which then agitates my IBS? I don't know? I just hope I don't have to give up my Maryland crabs they really are good. If any one could be of help I would appreciate it. Thank You.

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

YAY! another Marylander!!! wahoo!!! new
      #90305 - 07/15/04 08:25 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

not that i'm excited about that or anything! i live in Columbia. grew up there, too. i currently work in Baltimore, but only for one more day (YAY!), then i'll start working over by BWI. where are you?

i don't get IBS symptoms from spicy foods, but i'm really lucky maybe? i am not sure if that's common for IBSers or not. seafood in general, though, is just fine. i don't know what i'd do if i couldn't have my seafood!

i don't blame you for not wanting to give up the crabs, but that Old Bay can be a killer for people who can't tolerate the spice. try a big bowl of water on the table. dunk the crabs in to get the seasoning off. it helps a lot of my friends who "don't do spicy."

--------------------

Re: Hi! I am new and I have a question?? new
      #90310 - 07/15/04 08:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Seafood in general is usually ok. I don't like crab personally, so don't eat it! I know salmon is a fattier fish and some people will react to the fat, how much fat is in crab? Are you sure they are steaming it without a lot of added butter and oils?

I think how much "spice" a person can tolerate varies. I had my gallbladder removed years ago so I have to be pariculary careful. Are you getting a good soluble base before eating your belove spiced seafood? Maybe try taking some extra fiber supplement before you eat to see if that helps. Sorry, I don't really have an exact answer but hope that helps!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#90318 - 07/15/04 08:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Mm, crabs. If you have a hiatal hernia, and your doctor seems to think that spicy things aggravate the reflux and then the IBS, I would consider trying your seafood without the Old Bay, before giving it up entirely. I know that a lot of us love our seafood, and as far as I know, it's usually a safe food for IBS, so it may well be the Old Bay!

Good luck & feel better!

PS - Welcome, too!

Re: YAY! another Marylander!!! wahoo!!! new
      #90443 - 07/15/04 12:01 PM
Tissy

I actually work in Columbia and live by BWI airport in the Arbutus/Halethorpe area. I have tried rinsing the crabs off but I still get attacks. I have attacks when I eat other spicy foods as well. I just was curious if that is related to the IBS or the acid reflux. I am glad to hear seafood in general should not be a trigger for the IBS. I will try the suggestion from another poster who said to try some soluble fiber before I eat the crabs and see if that helps. Thank you for the advice and it is nice to see there is another Marylander on this message board.

--------------------
Christie

#90444 - 07/15/04 12:03 PM
Tissy

Thanks I will try the extra fiber to see if that helps, not a bad suggestion.

--------------------
Christie

Maryland new
      #90448 - 07/15/04 12:27 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

just in case you weren't aware, we've started up a MD IBS Support Group. we've met 3 times already. the next meeting is the 2nd Monday in August. here's a link to our boards: MD Support Group

no pressure, but if you're interested, stop by the boards or a meeting....

*jen

--------------------

#90452 - 07/15/04 12:53 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Hi and welcome. Yes this is a great website I have learned so much. I would recommend you ordering the IBS cookbook. I have it and love it.
Now about the seafood, that I am not sure if that is it or not I eat salmon and other types of fish and don't have a problem with it. The Old Bay seasoning could be doing it but it may be more with your reflux. I have reflux and a hital hernia also. Spicy foods irritate my hernia and reflux more than the IBS. Do you have IBS with D or C? Mine is D. Try eating the crabs without the Old Bay and see what happens. If nothing than it is the seasoning. I would try something else I know that it won't be the same but think of what you go through when you eat it. That is what I do when I really want something that I know that I can't have.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else just do hesitate to ask.

--------------------
Michelle

#90456 - 07/15/04 01:02 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Just wanted to say welcome from me too!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#90669 - 07/16/04 12:57 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Steamed crab and shrimp are wonderful! For me, these two food items are on my "safe" list. Sooo... I would say that it must be the seasoning. Do you dip it in drawn butter? Butter can be a problem for IBS.

#92771 - 07/24/04 10:03 AM
Tissy

Michele,

I just wanted to say that I tried 2 recipes from Heather's book. One contained Old Bay seasoning and the other contained crab meat and I didn't have a reaction to either. So I think you may be right. Some places may be using butter and oil or something to steam the crabs and that is probably setting off my attacks. I just thought I would share this in case anyone else has problems w/ steamed crabs. Although there doesn't seem to be too many Marylanders on here. I thought I share anyway.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 512 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1497

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review