All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Looking for ways to incorporate more fruit into my diet
      #90130 - 07/14/04 06:18 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

My biggest fear of an attack is with my fruits and vegetables. I am slowly incorporating them back into my diet. The vegetables are easier because you can not only cut them up small, but cook them and they taste good. Although I did try Heather's lemon asparagus pasta dish. You cook the asparagus really well and puree it in a blender. The next day I had alot of bloating and gas. My gas stays inside of me and it takes a long time before I can get rid of it. But for the most part, I can eat most vegetables that are cooked well and they don't bother me.

My biggest scare is trying fruits again. Because most of the time we eat them raw, that's where I'm afraid I will get an attack. I made some homemade applesauce with red delicious apples and I got some gas. Then I tried the store's brand and it killed me!! I finally found that Motts was the best for me. Also, I tried Heather's smoothie recipe with strawberries and I suffered the next day. I think maybe I may have used too many strawberries.

Could anyone help with some recipes that will help me get more fruits safely back into my diet?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Looking for ways to incorporate more fruit into my diet new
      #90135 - 07/14/04 06:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Maybe canned fruit will be easier at first, while you're still trying to stabilize? I've found that I'm a-ok with canned peaches and pears, as long as they're the kind packed in juice, not syrup. The peaches are especially handy; they blend into smoothies really well, and they can be baked into a cobbler... I imagine that cooking them on top of the canning process just makes them easier to digest. This cobbler recipe is simple, quick, and safe.

I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions from other people on here, too. I'm not brave enough to do the fresh fruit thing yet!

#90146 - 07/14/04 07:03 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

PEach smoothies have worked well for me also, as Casey suggested.
Also try mangoes! So easy to digest! They go well in smoothies and oatmeal. I never ate a mango before I went on this diet, now I can't get enough.
i use the smoothie recipe from the recipe board, it calls for berries but I use the mangoes or peaches. It also includes banana, silken tofu, and soymilk.
look for Motts organic applesauce, they sell it at my grocery store, but I know that it's not everywhere yet.
I also usually put a banana in my cereal or oatmeal in the morning. I will have the smoothie or applesauce later- My 2 servings a day as recommended by the food pyramid!

--------------------
-Sheri

#90240 - 07/15/04 05:50 AM
ssr

Reged: 06/29/04
Loc: St. Louis, MO

You might consider talking to you GI doc about a Fructose Intolerance test. It is taken just like a Lactose Intolerance test except with fructose. I tested off the charts and knowing that helped me greatly!!! Hate to offer this advice because fruit is so good and good for you but if it causes problems, you won't eat it anyway. Listings of fructose contents are tough to find...all fruits are different...and many veg contain it also. Asparagus is one of them...I have found I can tolerate it. Good luck!!!!

fruit breads! new
      #90309 - 07/15/04 08:28 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

banana bread, pumpkin bread, etc...

check the recipe boards, there are quite a few recipes there.

also, i'm a big fan of pumpkin. if you check some of the big recipe websites and stick in a fruit like pumpkin or apple you'll get tons of great recipes. if you're not sure they're IBS-safe, bring them to the Recipe board and they gang there can help you out.

good luck!

--------------------

#90461 - 07/15/04 01:24 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Canned pineapple is my safest fruit.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#90550 - 07/15/04 04:54 PM
mandm1129

Really!! I would think that one would be a trigger because it is so tart. Is that because it is canned in juice and not syrup?

Re: fruit breads! new
      #90552 - 07/15/04 04:56 PM
mandm1129

Thanks, I'll try that

#90553 - 07/15/04 04:58 PM
mandm1129

Thanks for the advice, I will consider that test.

#90554 - 07/15/04 04:59 PM
mandm1129

That recipe looks good!! I printed it out. Thanks for the info.

#90555 - 07/15/04 05:02 PM
mandm1129

You know what, I thought the same way as you about mangos. I've never had one. But I think I will try one. I did read in Heather's book about mangos (like bananas) having insoluble fiber.

Thanks

#90829 - 07/16/04 10:03 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Dunno! I'm allergic to peaches and pears so I can't eat those, even canned. I don't find canned pineapple tart although fresh certainly is. Pineapple also has enzymes that help with digestion. And I read somewhere that pineapple is the fruit least likely to provoke an allergic reaction.

My second safest fruit is berries, all kinds. I make an awesome pineapple strawberry smoothie!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#90970 - 07/16/04 03:09 PM
mandm1129

Thanks Laura....I'm going grocery shopping tonight and I'm going to pick up a can and give it a try.

Carol

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1578

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review