All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Aww... new
      #89991 - 07/14/04 01:40 PM
sphincts001

Reged: 07/13/04

This is not based on anything scientific, and I can't find any substantiation for it in any literature, but....I get D from drinking soy milk (usually chocolate because that's my favorite) if I haven't had any in a while. My mom gets it too. But after having it a few days in a row, the D goes away.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: aahhh! I spoke too soon. Had choc soy milk...and now D :( new
      #90064 - 07/14/04 03:46 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sugar is not an irritant to IBS. Many people have sensitivies to soy. Try rice or almond milk and see if you have the same reaction. Generally cocoa is not an irritant as long as it isn't accompanied with high fat.
It could just be an off day, or something you ate last night even. Try the chocolate soy in a few days and see what happens. If it gives you the same reaction, try avoiding soy for a while.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#90084 - 07/14/04 04:39 PM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

I don't know if it makes sense to just be the soy, because I have for years had a lot of soy in my diet. And I've been having soy "meat" slices and soy cheese and soy yogurt, and not had a reaction...and those things didn't have sugar in them. That's why I thought it might be the particular kind or amount of sugar....

Fructose is, I think, an irritant. (Think I read that in one of Heather's books.) Or, perhaps I have a sensitivity to sugar, or something? But I won't throw it out yet. I'll try it again when I'm not going out.

#90086 - 07/14/04 04:41 PM
raindew01

Thanks for the encouragement. I *did* feel like I was trying to be a food detective--though it drove me nuts because some foods got me some days and not others--before I found this site. Now it's only if I have a reaction to something as I slowly add things back in.

Tootsie Rolls--what a great idea! I'll go get some soon. Thanks for the tip.

#90087 - 07/14/04 04:42 PM
raindew01

Is corn syrup an irritant?

I definitely avoid artificial sweetners; I always check before I buy. I just don't like the idea of putting that into my body, period.

#90089 - 07/14/04 04:44 PM
raindew01

Quote:

I get the same reaction if I drink soy milk also. ...But I can also use soy milk for cereal with no problem

Ah ha! This is so interesting to me--because that's exactly the reaction I have! Thank you for sharing that; I feel a little less crazy and alone on this. I have plain soy milk in my soluble fiber cereal. No reaction. Then drink choc soy milk--big reaction. Was having a reaction to the choc soy milk for quite a long time, before I started analyzing all of this....

But I eat soy products all the time....

#90090 - 07/14/04 04:46 PM
raindew01

Ah! This really interests me.... I'm hoping I'll have a similar reaction. This made me decide not to throw out the choc. soy milk yet (that, and I love the taste so much, but I was getting ready to throw it out before I went to check the board.)

I'll try it and see, not tomorrow because I have to go out (I think I'll just stick to safe solubles) but maybe the day after. It does give me a bit of a cringe...I don't want the pain or the D...but if it goes away....well, we'll see.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3955 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2331

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review