All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What can I take for cramping?
      #89474 - 07/13/04 01:48 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't do the peppermint caps because of heartburn... I can't even drink more than one cup of peppermint tea every other day. The heating pad isn't doing the trick, either. I've tried a very low dose of imodium, and that helped a little, but not entirely... and I don't want to go with a full dose, because I don't have D and I have problems with getting constipated from the stuff. Does anyone have any other tricks up their sleeves, or OTC medications to suggest? (I'd prefer herbal/homeopathic suggestions, if anyone knows any.)

This is, obviously, something I'm going to mention to my doctor... but my appointment isn't till August 2. In the meantime, the cramps are the one problem I have that just doesn't seem to get any better.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What can I take for cramping? new
      #89492 - 07/13/04 02:28 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Some Aleve (naproxen) might help. It reduces the prostaglandins that cause the cramping. It's the ONLY thing that works for my menstrual cramps. (Plus it can cause D, which might be a plus for you!! j/k!!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Huh, LS (this raises another question!) new
      #89509 - 07/13/04 02:50 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...Or two. Maybe 3.

Does ibuprofen (advil) also cause D? I actually switched from Advil to Aleve as my painkiller of choice several months ago, because the Advil was just tearing up my stomach. My period this past month was especially, uh, problematic in the IBS department, and now I'm wondering if my daily Aleves were part of the problem.

Of course, now I'm out of Aleve. Maybe I'll try an Advil anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: Huh, LS (this raises another question!) new
      #89512 - 07/13/04 02:56 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Advil also causes D. All the NSAIDS irritate the stomach. I stick to Extra Strength Tylenol, except for the one day a month of my worst cramps. Then I take ONE Aleve with an Imodium chaser!! Works for me.

Advil also is a prostaglandin inhibitor so it should help. Just baby your tummy while you're taking it.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: What can I take for cramping? new
      #89518 - 07/13/04 03:08 PM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

I'm sorry you've got cramps, and all the regular things aren't helping. That sucks.

Fennel and ginger are also good for cramping. Do you have tea of either of those? They might help. The warmth of the tea also can help soothe.

These essential oils are good for cramps. If you have any of the oils, you could put 2-4 drops in some olive or vegetable oil, and rub it on your abdomen: Cypress, Ginger, Lavender, Marjoram, Rosemary, and Basil.

Sometimes a bit of walking can help, even if it's the last thing you feel like.

And when nothing seems to work, a bit of distraction can be welcome.

I hope you find relief soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 938

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review