All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Helpful Website and Book-SORRY! new
      #8967 - 05/13/03 12:06 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

You are quite welcome! I appreciate all the advice that I have been given here as well. It is so nice to be able to communicate with people that share the some of the same ailments that I do. (((((Hugs Back))))) Feel better, dear!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Celiac? new
      #8972 - 05/13/03 12:18 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

If you are truly Celiac, this would be a great diet to find out. If you "just" have IBS, your symptoms will probably not improve. Worth a though try, I did it!

Re: Celiac? new
      #8974 - 05/13/03 12:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Karin,

Do you have Celiac or IBS? How did this help you figure it out? Thanks bunches!!!!!

(((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8980 - 05/13/03 12:46 PM
Karin

First I went on the SCD diet, thinking I could be celiac and figured if it was IBS, it could help that also. After my biopsy, which totally ruled out Celiac, the doctor told me it was "just" IBS. I was still having problems like spasms, D and urgency after being on the SCD diet for months (lost a ton of weight though...lol). But when I tried to get back on to some of the carbs, it just didn't agree with me. And going back on wheat just gave me headaches. So, I try to combine all the different things about all the different diets that agree with me. Luckily I have a great friend who's a fantastic cook that has been diagnosed Celiac. She supplies me with many great recipes that are wheat free and even adapts them to lower fat for me. Basically my diet follows Heather's book primarily, with a low carb twist, somewhat wheat free (I can tolerate some wheat), and honey or rice syrup substituted for sugar.
It's a chore, but it's clearly evident that it's working. Mother's day I deviated due to a brunch and I paid for it yesterday (green chili/jack cheese blintz....thought it was a tortilla/chili.....lol). If you're testing for Celiac, go on this diet, you'll find out quickly if it is what you need. I wouldn't rely on anything but a biopsy/endoscopy to rule OUT Celiac. The other tests are too fallible.

#8982 - 05/13/03 12:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

Karin,

Thanks so much for all the info.! Wow, it sounds like you've had a long journey--I know the feeling! Were you always somewhat wheat intoleratn or do you find going GF made this happen? I hope you're doing great--thanks again for all the great info. and for sharing your story with me!!!

(((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8985 - 05/13/03 01:01 PM
Karin

After being on the diet for a few months, I realized by accident that I hadn't had any headaches during that time. Also, the intestinal gas totally stopped (a side benefit).
So......the moral of the story is that all of us have a long path of learning, each one different from the other. Different safe foods, different triggers. We all have to figure out our own specific diet that works specifically for us!!

Re: Helpful Website and Book new
      #9033 - 05/14/03 06:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

Cool story about this book:

I saw it on-line two days ago and just printed the info. on the web page (I've been printing tons of info. on Celiac) without realizing what the book was (and without any interest--I felt bad bringing up a new book to buy when I've bought books on IBS this year already!) Last night I was flipping through a book called Patient Heal Thyself and it mentioned this title in it. Then I came back to double check this title--and sure enough--they're the same! LOL Isn't it funny how life sends you little signs along the way.....

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9036 - 05/14/03 07:09 AM
tnchawk

Right! Things always work out for a reason!

-CHristianne

--------------------

#10699 - 06/04/03 11:43 AM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

The site is shut down, too bad

#10700 - 06/04/03 11:53 AM
tnchawk

Wow! They must have RECENTLY done that....I wonder why...oh well! Thanks!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2984 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review