All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Gas Pain....and Dating
      #89134 - 07/12/04 03:36 PM
starimpaler

Reged: 05/11/04

I had one of the most embarrasing experiences ever. I was on a date (first date), and my IBS kicked in with the bloat...and in the car....I just exploded. He made an extreme scene about it, and I just about died. Anyone have similar experiences? Anyone have IBS date recommendations?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas Pain....and Dating new
      #89137 - 07/12/04 03:52 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

"He made an extreme scene about it, and I just about died. Anyone have similar experiences? Anyone have IBS date recommendations?"

Hey starimpaler!

First bit of advice would be to not date A$$hole$! Seriously, what kind of jerk makes a big deal about something as minor as that. Ah well, at least he showed his true colours early on.

I've had some bad date experiences, luckily the girls have all been good about it. Without getting into too much detail I try and tell them beforehand that I have some stomach problems. I had one date where we had dinner, wasn't feeling great, waited a bit, then had a really really bad case of D, came back, sat and talked for a bit then as we were driving out of the parking lot..."uh oh". Parked the car, ran back into the restaurant. She was really understanding.

I learned the hard way that having cooked brocolli, carrots and calliflower on a date is a bad idea as well :s

#89213 - 07/12/04 08:19 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I've been lucky enough to have mostly good experiences with people I've dated, despite some quick darts to the bathroom from time to time. I agree with Jamie though -- this might be a sign of a guy you probably wouldn't want to date in the first place.

- Vincent

#89221 - 07/12/04 08:39 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

My advice, find a more understanding guy. My boyfriend knew there's was certain stuff I couldn't eat (he's a coffe-holic and when he asked me out, he asked me to ask him out on whatever my version of coffee was since he knew I couldn't have it; we went for a walk the next night instead). But seriously, he's not worth it if he can't handle your IBS, it's a part of you. And there are understanding guys out there. And stick to the diet and don't cheat when you're on a date, that helps too

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#89226 - 07/12/04 08:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I not-so-jokingly call IBS my "a$$hole filter". Before a first date, I have a nice long chat on the phone, and explain that I have "stomach problems" that are quite severe. I then explain that I can't eat this and I can't do that, etc etc, and sometimes even just explaining all that is enough to weed out the really intolerant jerks.

Anyone who's going to make "an extreme scene" about a bodily function needs to grow up, IMO. I'm sorry it was such a bad experience for you, but you're better off without that kind of lack of support!

Hope you're feeling better!

Dude new
      #89265 - 07/13/04 04:38 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

if he had made an extreme scene with me, i'd have had to get out of the car and call a girlfriend to pick me up.

kick him to the curb.

in the future, just stick with only the really safe stuff all day before a date and certainly on the date. don't drink alcohol unless you know you can handle it! i know i can't tolerate even a single beer without getting bloaty and gassy. several more will send me right to the bathroom. same with wine. i stick with my vodka drinks!

there are lovely people out there who are more mature than this dude. jeepers. what a loser.

was the food good, at least?

--------------------

#89278 - 07/13/04 06:39 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

I not-so-jokingly call IBS my "a$$hole filter".

I love it!

I don't have much advice to offer because I haven't really dated much since IBS... partially because I was hardly leaving the house for a while. Now that I'm doing better I just haven't found anyone promising... but when I do I'll definitely try out that a$$hole filter!!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Dude new
      #89286 - 07/13/04 07:49 AM
starimpaler

LOL...the food was just regular food for $50 a plate. He also "forgot" his wallet.

#89287 - 07/13/04 07:52 AM
starimpaler

Thanks for the advice. After all, guys do it all the time.

Re: Gas Pain....and Dating
      #89290 - 07/13/04 08:01 AM
starimpaler

I feel the same way. What do you usually eat on a date?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1707 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6006

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review