All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Good news - and gallstone/doctor questions
      #88944 - 07/12/04 09:03 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's been a good few days. Not health-wise, unfortunately, but everything-else-wise. On Thursday, I was approved for MaineCare (essentially Medicaid). By Saturday, my temporary card and paperwork were in my mailbox. Being a native New Yorker and used to a much faster-paced life, I sometimes make jokes about how slow things are up here, but tell ya what, the Maine government wastes no time!

So I spent my morning on the phone, and I've got all kinds of appointments lined up. I have to see a GP before I can see a gastroenterologist, so I have an appointment with a GP on August 2. I also have to go this afternoon or tomorrow morning and fill out some preliminary paperwork at a therapist's office, and then I'll have an appointment for there, too.

I'm scared to death of doctors, but I'm kind of relieved to be finally getting this stuff taken care of... and not having to worry about paying for it.

I was reading back through the material on this site... specifically, the list of things that have to be ruled out before a diagnosis of IBS can be considered correct. "Gallstones", of course, is one of them. I was diagnosed with gallstones 9 years ago, and I never had my gallbladder out. So now, of course, I'm curious - does a positive diagnosis for gallstones mean that I DON'T have IBS? Is it possible that gallstones have caused my symptoms all along (primarily D until I started Heather's diet, now I swing more towards C, nausea, indigestion, but not much pain or bloating)? On some level, it does make sense... although I've had nausea and some bowel dysfunction since I was a kid, it didn't get REALLY bad until a few years after my gallstone problems.

I'm also curious about that list of things to be ruled out, as well as the list of tests that need to be done. Should I take those lists with me? I've had doctors in the past get really annoyed with me for "self-diagnosing" (especially when I was right), but I've also had a lot of doctors dismiss my problems as "all in my head", too. I don't trust doctors as far as I can throw them, and I want to make sure I get everything taken care of as quickly as possible. How do I handle that first visit to a doctor?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good news - and gallstone/doctor questions new
      #88954 - 07/12/04 09:24 AM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

Hurray for you, for getting those doctor appointments and going! Yay! I know that can be hard.

And I'm glad your health coverage came in so quickly.

I had gallstones, too, before I got my gallbladder out. I also had some symptoms most of my life. I've been asking around the board here, for something similar--and what I think I've come up with is that it's possible to have IBS AND gallstone/gallbladder problems. I'm no doctor...and I may differ from what others say...but I doubt that having a positive gallstane diagnosis means that for sure you don't also have IBS. It seems many of us here have had, or do have, both. (And, if you're responding well to the diet--in my newbie opinion, it could mean you have IBS--as well, or alone.) Remember, though, that this is all just my opinion...based on feedback from here, and my own very new experience/understanding of all this.

It's important to get both checked out by a doctor, of course. And get treatment where you need it. And you're doing that.

About the tests--I suggest to take the list of them all. Show the doctor you've been reading up on it. Ask to have all those things eliminated. That's you taking your health seriously, putting it in your own hands. Of course it can be hard when doctors get offended for not properly doing their job--but it's your health. Your life. It sounds important to do, if you can do it. And very strong and healthy.

You might want to come on a little gentle--but firm--in your words and tone of voice, to make it easier on you (by the doctor being less offended) - but stick up for yourself! You deserve it.

Thanks new
      #88961 - 07/12/04 09:35 AM
atomic rose

Overwhelmingly, I've found what few medical personnel I've had to work with up here (a clinic, some dentist's offices) to be a LOT nicer, more approachable, and just plain better to deal with than those I dealt with in New York. It's entirely possible that I'll have absolutely nothing to worry about anyway. But yeah, taking the lists makes sense. I know that if I were a doctor, I'd appreciate a patient not being totally ignorant about what their symptoms might mean... but I'm no doctor. Hah.

I guess I was mostly curious about the gallstones because, at least so far, I'm really NOT responding to the diet as well as I think I should be, after 7 weeks on it. I've lessened the D problem, but now I alternate between that and C, and I have pain (where I never did before), and the nausea is never-ending. I'm not sure how much of it is physical and how much is anxiety, which is why I'm making a therapist as much of a priority as a doctor. Hm. I don't know anymore... I was curious more than anything else.

Thanks for your reply! Someone else's similar experiences are always helpful.

Re: Thanks new
      #88966 - 07/12/04 09:44 AM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

Hmm. Then even more, I think you should get those gallstones checked out. I had similar symptoms--pain and nausea that just got worse and worse--so bad that it actually finally got me to a doctor (I avoid them for as long as I can). And it was a good thing I did, because when they finally operated on me, my gallbladder was in *really* bad shape.

And if your nausea is increasing, or just keeping on, I would take that seriously. (And as you said, you're not responding as well as you thought you would to this diet....) I would get it checked out, and see if you need your gallbladder out, or if there are other treatments that you might need or that might help. Truly.

Since having my gallbladder out, I feel so much better--no nausea waking me up at night (that's a question--do you get pain/nausea in the middle of the night? And about belly button level? That could definitely point to a gallbladder problem).

The D got worse for me three months later--but I've had that on and off all my life, and now I'm pretty convinced that I had both problems--IBS and gallbladder stuff. And the diet's working so well for me right now.

So, I'm back to hoping you get it checked out by the doctor when you go. I think it's important to know. (And again--good for you to take this seriously, and to get to the doctor's in the first place. )

Re: Thanks new
      #88971 - 07/12/04 09:52 AM
atomic rose

Actually, back when I was passing stones, I never had pain like that, and no, it definitely never woke me up at night, though it did keep me from falling asleep for days several times. Mine was actually chest pain, so bad that before I was diagnosed, I was rushed to the ER and hooked up to heart monitors - they thought I was having a heart attack at 21! Of course I wasn't, and an ultrasound showed literally hundreds of tiny stones.

But anyway, I haven't passed a gallstone in years; THAT pain is unmistakable to me. THIS pain is definitely intestinal - usually cramping, but sometimes more of a burning.

I definitely recognize that the gallbladder is something they need to check out. I just hope they don't stop at that, you know? I'd really like to rule everything out and get my diagnosis all at once... I will be SO frustrated if the doctor says, well, you have gallstones, let's get that gallbladder out - and then a few months later, I'm right back to square one. Eh, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Can't you tell I hate doctors? Hehe.

Re: Gallstones new
      #89040 - 07/12/04 11:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, passing a gall stone is an unmistakable pain! I was also rushed to the ER one night thinking I was having a heart attack, just to find out it was gallstones! When I was having gall bladder pains it was also up high, in that "hole" between your boobs. My IBS pain is very different, although it does sometimes give me pain up high, it is very different.

I did have a lot more nausea before I had my gall bladder out but my IBS also makes me nauseous. I think you have 2 seperate problems. They can make each other feel worse but, unfortunately, I don't think getting your gallbladder out is going to get rid of all your tummy problems! I was hoping it would for me, but no such luck. In fact, some people actually complain about gettin D after having gall bladder removed. I am an IBS C person and didn't have the problem, but I've heard it is common. I did develop acid reflux right after having the gallbladder out! I didn't even really know what heart burn was until after my surgery!

They will probably recommend that you do have the gall bladder removed but be sure they do all the other testing as well. Blood test for Celiac and a colonoscopy would be the first two I would think they would want to do. I have been on the diet for about 1.5 years now and although my IBS is improved, it nevers totally goes away.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Michele new
      #89125 - 07/12/04 02:16 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I had mine out ten years ago, and yes, I thought I was having a heart attack as well..........

I'm a C and I think it even got worse after the gall bladder removal which is strange since it is suppose to produce a D affect.

My IBS pain is ALWAYS high up. I feel like my lower ribs are in a vice..........Not a nice feeling.

I've heard what you echo'd about GERD and gall bladder removal. Although I didn't get that I DID when I started peppermint caps.........so I learned real quick I can't take them!!! I have a problem with spicey foods now with IBS that I never had before...

I agree, all the other test should be done first before the gall bladder surgery. Even though I had no choice but to have it out, if I could I would have kept the gall bladder. Without one you don't process fats well and they only back up into the liver............... so you have to stay on a low fat diet the rest of your life.........whether or not you have IBS.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Michele new
      #89320 - 07/13/04 09:15 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah, my C actually got worse also! My dr told me it was impossible, what does he know anyway!!

I also have to be carefull with spicey foods and I never did before. If I slip and eat something greasy, I'm miserable for days! Yup, would have preferred to keep mine as well but the darn thing was FULL of rocks! In fact, in was so full the had to make the incision to remove it bigger and now I have a jagged scar from it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1315 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 775

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review