All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
character of an ibs'er'
      #88921 - 07/12/04 07:18 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Just a query....anyone I know that has ibs is considered a 'very sensitive person'...easily hurt, delicate, people always throw the 'you're so sensitive' line at us....how many of you out there are considered 'sensitive'?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: character of an ibs'er' new
      #88929 - 07/12/04 07:34 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I don't think you can classify people as easily as that - when I'm well I feel like a strong person. However, we do all seem to have some similar traits such as worrying too much or getting stressed. How much of that is from having our confidence knocked by being ill I don't know.

An ex of mine used to call me... new
      #88930 - 07/12/04 07:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

"Nails". As in, "tough as nails". Haha.

I don't consider myself overly sensitive, and I don't think too many people around me would, either. I AM a perfectionist, very demanding of myself, obsessive-compulsive, and I have been told that I'm "high-strung". I've always been this way, and I'm sure that part of my personality has figured big in my digestive problems.

#88931 - 07/12/04 07:39 AM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

I haven't often been outwardly labeled this in recent years(my mother always said I was too sensitive),altho. I know it is true for me,but I keep most of those hurt feelings to myself.
I know often my husband and I talk about how things that have been said by him and others have a strong affect on me, whereas he doesn't take things so seriously. I've found that learning to talk the situation out w/someone can really help me in this area.
The other probelm w/being so sensitive is that my bodily reactions are also very sensitized.I can go into fear mode so easily and my stomach muscles tense up and this can often lead to an attack. Glad you asked this question.
I think others of us sometimes get angry as a result of their sensitivity. Suzy

#88937 - 07/12/04 08:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Overall I would say I am a bit too sensative. I take everything to heart and my feeling are hurt easily. I always have been this way. I also struggle with anxiety and mild depression. I am a bit obsessive-compulsive in my personality. I like things "just so" or I'm not comfortable. Stress is one of my biggest belly triggers!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#88938 - 07/12/04 08:47 AM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

Sensitive and easily hurt fits me. Delicate, doesn't. Maybe it's just word choice--but I think there can be a lot of strength in being connected to one's feelings, in staying with them. And in dealing with them, not hiding.

I've been through childhood trauma, and can easily go into fear, self-blame, etc.--reactions from childhood that I know affect my body. I tend to internalize things.

I also know healing....

Interesting question. Thanks for asking.

#88939 - 07/12/04 08:50 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I think I was born sensitive! My whole family has IBS (mom, sister, aunt)Out of all of us I think I'm the most sensitive. Of course it all goes back to the astrological sign thing again and since I'm a cancer I fit into the most sensitive sign of them all!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

not "sensitive" new
      #88940 - 07/12/04 08:50 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

..."strong-willed" is more like it. I'm definitely perfectionistic, and I'm not particularly flexible. These are not my favorite qualities in myself, and I am working on them. In any case, I would say my IBS comes from the expectations and pressure I put on myself in a stressful situation. I feel some need to "perform" at a certain standard, which upsets the belly.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

holy moly new
      #88943 - 07/12/04 09:01 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

too weird/interesting! How Michele, Christine, Lisa and others described themselves fits me to a T as well. In my opinion, its definitely no coincidence. Of course, none of these factors could cause our IBS, however I have a strong feeling that they are strong contributors.

Yup- that's me! new
      #88956 - 07/12/04 09:30 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I am "sensitive" and also get kinda high strung and inflexible.But, I still don't consider myself a weak person. I have been handling my IBS pretty well on this diet, and it makes me feel like I can take on the world!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: not "sensitive" new
      #88972 - 07/12/04 09:55 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

..."strong-willed" is more like it. I'm definitely perfectionistic, and I'm not particularly flexible.

Me too! A family quote about me was from when I was 6 or 7 and having a birthday party at home. I felt ignored or something, and went off in tears to my room. My mom came after me to tell me that I can't abandon my own party and that I should be more flexible. My response: "It's my birthday and I don't WANNA be flexible!"

I'm trying to moderate that tendency as an adult, of course.

--AC, the hardheaded

ummm, not me... new
      #89002 - 07/12/04 10:23 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

"stubborn as mule and one of the strongest people I've ever met" is how a friend in high school described me. I do have a tendency to think too much and let things get to me that way, but I'm very good at hiding it (I do theater, I'm an actor in real life, a techie when I'm around a stage). But not sensitive, and I'm such a tomboy and I hate being told I can't do things, so not delicate.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

not me. i may be one of the toughest women you know. -nt- new
      #89050 - 07/12/04 11:28 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

thanks everyone! new
      #89652 - 07/14/04 02:49 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

thanks everyone for answering....reading your answers made me realise that I didn't pose my question thoroughly enough! Whilst I definetly class myself as a sensitive person (something I see as more a positive trait then a negative one...I am a wonderful friend to people, can sense vibes like no tomorrow..its a talent!) I have also been described as highly strung, deep thinking, easily frantic, and for sure a perfectionist...I put such huge demands on myself..I started to get anxiety which was a blessing in the long run because I had to start to accept my humanity as opposed to my superwomanness! Thanks all for answering!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#89683 - 07/14/04 06:19 AM
Janice B

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: New Jersey

I tend to be a very stubborn person. I won't do anything that I don't want to and there's nothing anyone can say or do to change my mind once it's set. I do have a tendency to be a little emotional at times, but who doesn't. I tend to hold my feelings in, I don't like to let people see me cry. I don't think I've had anyone say to me that I was so sensitive.

--------------------
Janice B

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1662

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review