All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Over 1 1/2 years and now a relapse!
      #87291 - 07/07/04 12:02 PM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Since being on Heather's Diet I've been really good! No "attacks"--just a few very minor incidents. Now, all of a sudden, WHAM!! I seem to be in a full fledged major episode with no signs of it going away.(Been this way for a couple weeks now) I have a question for you all.......has anyone ever found that you could be eating or drinking something without any reactions for a LONG, LONG time and then that very same food/drink will upset your IBS? Also, I wonder if anyone has similar pain--I haven't been able to find this in a search. I get these extremely sharp jabbing pains very very low in my abdomen and even feels like they go thru my "bathroom" area. They are extremely painful and come very quickly and without warning. They are so bad, they cause me to gasp or cry out. Has anyone else ever experienced this type of pain? What I always think it means is that I am full of stool and the pressure of it building up in there is just causing these pains. Any ideas on all of this would help. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Over 1 1/2 years and now a relapse! new
      #87296 - 07/07/04 12:13 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Awwwe, that's so sad to hear your news! Do you remember what you ate that caused your IBS to flare up again??
I think it's common to develop reactions to certain foods as we get older. Just like you can develop allergies with age. Maybe your body has just decided it didn't like that particular item any longer!
As for your other question, I'm not exactly sure what that is. The only time in my life where I've had sharp pains like that in my abdomen was when I had an ovarian cyst, and it started leaking fluid. (the cyst was 6 centimeters in diameter) If it's really scaring you, maybe you should see a doctor. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#87297 - 07/07/04 12:19 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I also get these pains (sometimes they are bad for a whole week and then they go away for weeks or even a month or two.) I did have an ultrasound done. It showed a small cyst on my ovary but the doctor did not think it would be causing the shooting pains.

If I were you I would get it checked out for peace of mind.

Keep us posted!

Leigh

#87301 - 07/07/04 12:27 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

When I am having those atacks the same pains happen to me - sharp pains that run from my rectum to my bellybutton. I always thought they might be gas pain or the pressure of the stool on my sphyncter (sp?)

--------------------
Dana

#87338 - 07/07/04 01:19 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, that's really too bad! I certainly found that to be true for me with food allergies and intolerances, so I don't doubt it could happen with IBS.

However, as they say, any change in bowel habits should be reported to your doctor, just in case it's something more serious -- or even treatable!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#87357 - 07/07/04 01:43 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Sorry to hear about that...I know how it feels. Has anything changed in your life in the last little while? Although it is true that your body can one day reject food that it hasn't happened in the past, a more likely reason could be an outside factor. Have you been inder a lot of stress lately (good or bad)? Have your sleeping patterns changed? Have you started taking something or stopped taking something since the onset of this new pain?
I have also had the sort of pain you are talking about. It goes very low, on the left side of my abdomen (I can't even say that I my stomach hurts because it's not my stomach, it's down towards the pelvic area (internal, like where your cecum/rectum is). I also had a pelvic ultrasound which sound a small cyst (1 cm) and I was told, like some others, that this would not be the cause of my pain. I realized, after a while, that, although I did not think I was under a lot of stress, at least not more than usual, I actually was, or rather, I had poor coping skills and was feeling overwhelmed and all around blah. There are many levels of stress. Most people associate it with negative or big things (eg, losing your job, moving, etc.) But positive things can be just as stressful (eg getting married, going back to school, getting a promotion, etc.) And let's not forget the everyday stressors that we ignore until they take a toll on our health (eg traffic, waiting in line, etc.) I find that it is how you deal with all of these stressors that determines what role your body will play in it. Generally, it is when dealing (or not dealing well) over a chunk of time that your physical self starts to react...not pretty. If this is the case, try some alternative therapies (eg. yoga, hypno, etc.)
In any case, as the others suggested, call your doc/gyno and go have some tests (colonoscopy, pelvic/abdominal ultrasound, etc) done to rule out anything.
I'd also suggest making a journal entry for a couple of weeks to see if maybe there is something you aren't picking up. Write down everything from what you have eaten to when, to how you feel mentally/physically/emotionally, etc.
Good Luck!

Thanks ladies for your help. new
      #87371 - 07/07/04 02:10 PM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Thanks for the info. I've had a completely hysterectomy in '98 so I'm not the least bit worried about an ovarian cyst. I have had a huge stressor added to my life lately with some family issues. And, I did think of that. It's just that I've dealt with stress in the past 1 1/2 years and came out of it fine. And, haven't changed my eating in that time frame either, and it's been working great for me up to this pt. Just very disappointing to go along fine for that long and then go back to the very worse again! But, I'll try to handle my stress better, really watch my eating, and pray for things to settle down again. Thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6686 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 763

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review